Phil Spector found GUILTY of murder

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Originally posted by: Sawyer
I have heard his name, but why is he famous?

He was a groundbreaking music producer in the 60s. His trademark was the wall of sound, which was super lush and full. Think Ronettes, Crystals, and The Righteous Brothers. Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys had a similar style.
Part of this "Wall Of Sound" involved the use of as many people as could be roped into playing something, in as large a space as could be had, and the use of the newly invented plate reverbs of the time. These large plates of steel, stretched taught and held on springs, were linked in series to provide ultra long times.
He was one of the first producers to turn up the effects within the mix.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Fuck him. He was a piece of shit.

Musical genius, but an asshole. I've read Mick Brown's Biography on him and its unreal how much music he had his hand in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

To understand Phil's reach I point you to the End of the Century album by The Ramones that Phil produced. The track Danny Says is an all time favorite of mine and really shows what Phil was able to accomplish.

From the Righteous Brothers, The Crystals, The Ronettes, this gem from Ben E King, George Harrison and the Beatles Let it Be album.