Phil Robertson and freedom to have an opinion

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's called google, look into it sometime

What I find amusing is this new trend that we are no longer outraged by what offends us, we scream outrage in order to win attention from the social group we want to be a part of.

What your fascination is with gay oral sex in Louisiana I don't know, that's for you to figure out for yourself.

It was more of a jab at your defense of duck dodger's comments about borderline pedophilia than gay oral sex. I've never been to Louisiana, have no plans to ever go there either but hey, feel free to draw any conclusions you want to about me... it's no skin off my back. :p

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Hey!
I have a great idea keeping with the freedom of speech, and product marketing, sales, and all that jazz.

How about Duck KKK? Yeah! Every week four old rednecks could dress up in white robes and hoods and pick a black family at ransom, burn a cross in their front yard, set the house on fire, put a loose around old dads heck and drag him out to the chestnut tree, then pretend they are going to have some fun with it.
It could be called The White Hoods Dynasty.
Freedom of speech, reality tv, pursuit of happiness, sales. All that jazz.

Or I know...
Get four german speaking guys together, dressed up in nazi ss uniforms, have them pick at random out of a phone book people with last names sounding Jewish, then go to the house, break in with guns exposed, and haul off the family to waiting railroad boxcars.
Oh the hilarity. What fun. HE HE HE...HO HO!
It could be called The Sieg Heil Dynasty.
After all... Freedom of speech. Marketing, sales. All that jazz.

Or I know, I know. I got one...
Maybe search out local registered sex offenders, dress them up as the Pope in Pope costumes, have them stand outside elementary schools with candy, xboxes and PS4 game systems, and lure young boys into a waiting minivan.
What fun! What comedy. What ratings.
It could be called The Pope Dynasty.

Freedom of speech. Reality tv. Marketing and sales. Anything goes.
Protecting your rights to be a full-fledged flag-waving racist-loving bigot, ya know.
Oh wow! Someone call A&E. Asap.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
It's the current law of Louisiana, 16 year old people can be married with parental consent. Most states, even "blue states" have similar laws allowing 16 year olds to marry.

I'm aware, hence why I said "at least he recognizes you have to get parental permission." I expect most people would consider it irresponsible and an all around bad idea in many or even most cases. Strongly recommending that you always do sounds like terrible advice. But what comes off worse is his apparent reasoning behind this..

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It was more of a jab at your defense of duck dodger's comments about borderline pedophilia than gay oral sex. I've never been to Louisiana, have no plans to ever go there either but hey, feel free to draw any conclusions you want to about me... it's no skin off my back. :p

I don't know enough about Duck Dynasty to even know what the fuck you're talking about.

If I missed something in the back-and-forth banter that makes your conversation make sense, then congratulations, you have 60+ thousand posts, I concede to your greatness.

I've once had the uncomfortable conversation having met an actual pedophile during a business trip, and for some reason he wanted to explain how he cannot help who he is and was just looking for acceptance in the world for being attracted to very young girls. I firmly told him no, I will never accept who he is. He was hired to do a small job for my boss, never saw the guy after that day.

What Phil said? He isn't a pedophile. The only people who are outraged by this are those who want to make fun of conservative Southerners for laughs. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Enjoy your win. Problem is I don't care about you.

And I have visited Louisiana, several friends of mine moved down to New Orleans after college. They then each moved away for different work opportunities the spring just before Katrina, lucky them, otherwise the house they were renting was one that was completely submerged in water for weeks after the storm. Point is, go experience the world. A lot of good friendly people live in the state, was a lot of fun to visit. Or you can stay here and in a few years celebrate your 100,000th post. I really don't care.

Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
What Phil said? He isn't a pedophile. The only people who are outraged by this are those who want to make fun of conservative Southerners for laughs. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Phil's stance that young men should marry 15-16 year olds over 20 year olds because the latter will "pick your pocket" is not something I expect is actually highly representative of what conservative southerners would advocate today. Or at least I hope it isn't. If there's anything he's said that didn't sound like a sure thing to resonate with his target audience this would be it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Phil's stance that young men should marry 15-16 year olds over 20 year olds because the latter will "pick your pocket" is not something I expect is actually highly representative of what conservative southerners would advocate today. Or at least I hope it isn't. If there's anything he's said that didn't sound like a sure thing to resonate with his target audience this would be it.

Damn hiis pedophilia ways! having a 20 yr old pick up a 16 yr old! DAMN!

oh..wait. that's it?

i thought he was going to say 60 yr olds should.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
lol, someone's gotta be sitting somewhere going "the gay and black slander wasn't enough, say something else people will think is ridiculous, the new season is about to start.."

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know enough about Duck Dynasty to even know what the fuck you're talking about.

If I missed something in the back-and-forth banter that makes your conversation make sense, then congratulations, you have 60+ thousand posts, I concede to your greatness.

I've once had the uncomfortable conversation having met an actual pedophile during a business trip, and for some reason he wanted to explain how he cannot help who he is and was just looking for acceptance in the world for being attracted to very young girls. I firmly told him no, I will never accept who he is. He was hired to do a small job for my boss, never saw the guy after that day.

Enjoy your win. Problem is I don't care about you.

And I have visited Louisiana, several friends of mine moved down to New Orleans after college. They then each moved away for different work opportunities the spring just before Katrina, lucky them, otherwise the house they were renting was one that was completely submerged in water for weeks after the storm. Point is, go experience the world. A lot of good friendly people live in the state, was a lot of fun to visit. Or you can stay here and in a few years celebrate your 100,000th post. I really don't care.

o_O

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

The real irony is that if a 15 year old girl gets pregnant you will have a bunch of liberal feminists worshiping whatever choice she wants to make.

If you are old enough to CHOOSE to be a parent how are you not also old enough to get married?:confused:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
In the end, I suppose it will all depend on the advertisers.

Something liberals need to understand, shows like duck dynasty are not for the gun hating gay loving demographic.

Duck Dynasty represents family values, hunting, and enjoying the outdoors which makes up the vast majority of Americans.

So what if a small minority are offended. Chances are they are not buying products from the advertisers anyway. If you are not spending money with the advertisers, you have no leverage, you have nothing to threaten.

How is some gay person from new york city who has never been hunting, saying they will never buy a duck call going to affect duck dynasty or duck commander? What Phil said represents the majority of people who buy hunting gear.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Something liberals need to understand, shows like duck dynasty are not for the gun hating gay loving demographic.

Duck Dynasty represents family values, hunting, and enjoying the outdoors which makes up the vast majority of Americans.

So what if a small minority are offended. Chances are they are not buying products from the advertisers anyway. If you are not spending money with the advertisers, you have no leverage, you have nothing to threaten.

How is some gay person from new york city who has never been hunting, saying they will never buy a duck call going to affect duck dynasty or duck commander? What Phil said represents the majority of people who buy hunting gear.

Rural Southerners who hunt and fish are not the vast majority of Americans.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

U.S. Census data disagrees with that statement.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

ummm not sure i agree with were you went with that. in fact im sure what it is you are trying to dispute, that people in a urban area do not enjoy family values, hunting or enjoying the outdoors? please elaborate.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
ummm not sure i agree with were you went with that. in fact im sure what it is you are trying to dispute, that people in a urban area do not enjoy family values, hunting or enjoying the outdoors? please elaborate.

I'd bet you that way fewer than 50% of Americans enjoys or has ever hunted anything. Isn't this a show about hunting?

Interesting map. I live in one of those counties :)

What were the odds... so do I coincidentally.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Damn hiis pedophilia ways! having a 20 yr old pick up a 16 yr old! DAMN!

oh..wait. that's it?

i thought he was going to say 60 yr olds should.

I was the first to say this isn't about pedophilia.

But look closer at what he's saying. This isn't about the rights of 15 year olds to marry. This is him saying outright that young men should by default marry 15-16 year old women over 20 year old women, and for behavioral reasons (not something like "15-16 year olds are prettier"). That shows that he acknowledges the typical difference in behavioral development between 15-16 and 20 year old females and suggests that men marry the former so they can exploit that difference. He doesn't really spell this out but the subtext seems to be to get them while they're more naive, less experienced, and more impressionable so that you can more effectively subjugate them.

Which is pretty disturbing.

nehalem256 said:
The real irony is that if a 15 year old girl gets pregnant you will have a bunch of liberal feminists worshiping whatever choice she wants to make.

If you are old enough to CHOOSE to be a parent how are you not also old enough to get married?:confused:

Is that going to be your response every time someone says something stupid and you want to defend them? Manufacture a similar-sounding alternative to slam "liberals", because this isn't about being right so much as making your mythical hive-mind opposition appear more wrong?

This doesn't have to be a partisan thing. I doubt most conservatives defend the idea that ~20 year old men should avoid marrying 20 year old women in favor of 15-16 year old ones, and again, this has nothing to do with freedom of choice or marriage. Not everything has to be an opportunity for more partisan mud-slinging. Or do you actually agree with Robertson's stance here?

At any rate, your comparison falls apart pretty quickly when you consider that there isn't much of a group that says that the teen has no right to carry the baby to term at all. The alternative to your "old enough to have a choice in delivering the child" stance would be "old enough to where you must deliver the child."

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I was the first to say this isn't about pedophilia.

But look closer at what he's saying. This isn't about the rights of 15 year olds to marry. This is him saying outright that young men should by default marry 15-16 year old women over 20 year old women, and for behavioral reasons (not something like "15-16 year olds are prettier"). That shows that he acknowledges the typical difference in behavioral development between 15-16 and 20 year old females and suggests that men marry the former so they can exploit that difference. He doesn't really spell this out but the subtext seems to be to get them while they're more naive, less experienced, and more impressionable so that you can more also subjugate them.

Which is pretty disturbing.

Kind of makes you question what type of women are being raised in Louisiana. I met my wife who was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA when we were both in our early 20s. Good thing I didn't listen to that idiot. :whiste:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

How does that map show anything of the sort?

I've lived in some of those blue shaded counties. Miami, e.g., is place where people enjoy family values, hunting/fishing, and enjoying the outdoors. NYC too, for that matter. Tons of people there hunt and fish etc.

Fern

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I've lived in some of those blue shaded counties. Miami, e.g., is place where people enjoy family values, hunting/fishing, and enjoying the outdoors. NYC too, for that matter. Tons of people there hunt and fish etc.

Fern

The point is that rural southern family values do not equate to American family values. I know this comes as a terrible shock to the provincial mentality of rural southerners, but it's true.

And for the record, I love fishing and the outdoors.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Fern

:whiste: Okay, chew on this then. In the U.S. there are approximately 15 million hunting licenses issued annually. Since the population of the Unites States is over 300 million that means that less than 5% of the population hunts. Nowhere near a majority of the population.

The map I posted earlier shows that most of the population doesn't live in rural areas and that fully half of the population of the U.S. is centered in and around the major cities. I would hazard to say that even fewer city dwellers hunt than people who live out in the country... which was my point.

Still, that 5% means big ratings for A&E and duck dodgers and his band of inbred idiots.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The point is that rural southern family values do not equate to American family values. I know this comes as a terrible shock to the provincial mentality of rural southerners, but it's true.

And for the record, I love fishing and the outdoors.

Ahh, so I missed the code word. 'Family values" has to mean only opposition to gay marriage?

BTW: If you think that rural Southerners don't know that most people in big cities, particularly in the NE and CA, are very liberal and much different from them it's you who would be terribly shocked.

Fern

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

One could also accurately say it represents ignorance and hatred too. :whiste:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
:whiste: Okay, chew on this then. In the U.S. there are approximately 15 million hunting licenses issued annually. Since the population of the Unites States is over 300 million that means that less than 5% of the population hunts. Nowhere near a majority of the population.

The map I posted earlier shows that most of the population doesn't live in rural areas and that fully half of the population of the U.S. is centered in and around the major cities. I would hazard to say that even fewer city dwellers hunt than people who live out in the country... which was my point.

Still, that 5% means big ratings for A&E and duck dodgers and his band of inbred idiots.

Fair enough if it's just hunting. (While not hunting, almost 50% of people report having a gun in their household: http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx I would think that many, while not actual hunters themselves, can relate to it.)

But lot of fishing in South Florida, NY/NJ etc.

Same for enjoying the outdoors.

Fern

Nov 25, 2013

This program doesn't represent crap. These guys are a bunch of faux 'rednecks' who work on what is a scripted 'reality' show that operates pretty much as a sit-com.

Anyone who imputes any actual representational value is delusional.