Phil Robertson and freedom to have an opinion

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Believing homosexuality is a sin doesn't make one a bigot. Christians believe that many things are sins. Greed, unkindness, working on the Sabbath. Christians also believe that all sins are equal because all sins lead to the ultimate sin, which is a lack of faith.
So the question is: why are so many Christians so focused on this one sin?
Because it does not affect us. Of all the ways I may offend G-d, homosexuality is not one I have to worry about. Human nature is to excuse our own failings, that we may better concentrate on the failings of others at no personal cost to ourselves. Thus we may oppose homosexual marriage, support tax increases on people who earn more than do we, oppose government giveaways we don't use . . . All at no cost to ourselves.

I suspect that the most morally damaging stance on any issue is the one that harms other people while not harming (or actually benefiting) ourselves. When examining any issue I try to put myself in the other guy's shoes, and I can tell you - if the government or my fellow Americans were insisting that I did not have the right to marry a consenting adult of my choice, but instead insisted that I must choose from among people to whom I have no sexual attraction, I would be pissed. Were I gay, I would not be one of these reasonable gays on Anandtech. I'd be one of the eternally pissed off in-your-face GLAAD gays, and I know it. Same if I were black; while I appreciate that we have equal opportunity, I would not let you forget that in my father's time you crackers* were artificially limiting his opportunity, which limits what he could do for me, which constrains my starting position in life, which affects what I can do for my kids.

* I can say that since in real life I am quite crackery myself. It's the Chris Rock principle.

We have the rights I stated.

We don't have the rights I didn't state.

Why you think the right to have speak your mind without fear of arrest gives you freedom from all consequences of your speech is beyond my comprehension. It's like saying the right to own a gun (2nd amendment) gives you the right to shoot people.
Very good analogy.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Believing homosexuality is a sin doesn't make one a bigot. Christians believe that many things are sins. Greed, unkindness, working on the Sabbath. Christians also believe that all sins are equal because all sins lead to the ultimate sin, which is a lack of faith.
So the question is: why are so many Christians so focused on this one sin?

Probably the last sin that they can complain about as all the others they allow to happen and ignore it yet this is slowly working it's way in to the pile especially with their priests. ;)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming that Mr Duck's religion is <insert sect> Christianity.
You would have to prove that there is discrimination against <insert sect> christians at A&E.

I highly doubt that there are policies, procedures or precedent in place that would reveal systematic discrimination against Christians at A&E.

My gut instinct is that Mr Ducks actions ran afoul of policies governing reputational risk over at A&E and his personal beliefs of gays is not the issue.
The issue is making public statements as a representative of A&E that embarrass the company and threaten its bottom line.

You can walk around the office all day saying God loves you but hates gays (unless you are such a dick about it that you create a hostile work environment).
You can't go on the national stage representing an A&E property and say "I'm christian and I think Gays smell like dookie"
that's a bunch of BS....your saying Mr Duck gave up his rights when he went to work for A&E...BS!!

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Nobody says the guy can't have an opinion. In this case his expressing his opinion conflicted with the image his employer was trying to project so they effectively suspended him.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences not sure why this is such a hard concept for the OP to grasp.

His suspension further proves how stupid and fake these so-called "reality" tv shows are...What are they going to do now, tell Phil to move 20 feet to the left of any camera thats around so that hes never in the picture ? He spoke his opinion and again, that should fit for a reality based tv show but no he is now punished for not conforming to the pro-gay agenda.

The folks who watch that show now will continue to watch the show and continue to believe its real and not scripted, which is a big win for A&E since they have the dumbass demographic locked down for now.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
that's a bunch of BS....your saying Mr Duck gave up his rights when he went to work for A&E...BS!!
He gives up SOME of his rights, yes, and the employer also gives up some of his rights. On-air personalities typically give up many more rights, as recognition of their greatly increased ability to damage the employer.

Apr 27, 2012
Hopefully there is a boycott of A&E or the family moves to another network to teach those morons a lesson. Glaad are a bunch of idiots and hypocrites.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Hopefully there is a boycott of A&E or the family moves to another network to teach those morons a lesson. Glaad are a bunch of idiots and hypocrites.

I went over this in a different thread. Boycotting A&E won't do shit. Boycotting a single TV channel is like going to McDonald's, buying everything on the menu, then throwing the BigMac in the trash because you boycott it. You've already paid for it. TV isn't a la carte.

A&E is owned by Disney, who's revenue was in the billions before this show started in 2012:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

There's a list of what they own. You want to make a statement? Cancel cable altogether.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

No one said he gave up any rights as he is allowed to speak his mind just as they have the right to fire him for cause.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
I know plenty of Christians that don't believe in the bold text. You're right, belief that homosexual acts are a sin makes you a bigot, regardless of your religion.

Wrong! It means you believe God's word.That is all.It does not make you a "bigot".

It doesn't make you hate gays.

It saddens me to see the effects of the indoctrination on so many people on this forum.

Why do you think people are dumber and more out of shape now than 20 years ago? 100 years ago? 200 years ago? Indoctrination.

Why are there school shootings now? Indoctrination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior_modification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_manipulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak
^All things the left does.

"Are you ready for Hillary?" pwahahahaha

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wrong! It means you believe God's word.That is all.It does not make you a "bigot".

It doesn't make you hate gays.

It saddens me to see the effects of the indoctrination on so many people on this forum.

Why do you think people are dumber and more out of shape now than 20 years ago? 100 years ago? 200 years ago? Indoctrination.

Why are there school shootings now? Indoctrination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior_modification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_manipulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_techniques
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak
^All things the left does.

"Are you ready for Hillary?" pwahahahaha

Cool story bro. I see you're trying to get your entry in the nuttiest post of the year contest in at the last minute. Good strategy. There aren't many days left to top it.

Apr 27, 2012
I went over this in a different thread. Boycotting A&E won't do shit. Boycotting a single TV channel is like going to McDonald's, buying everything on the menu, then throwing the BigMac in the trash because you boycott it. You've already paid for it. TV isn't a la carte.

A&E is owned by Disney, who's revenue was in the billions before this show started in 2012:

There's a list of what they own. You want to make a statement? Cancel cable altogether.

I said I hope they boycott but still A&E has higher ratings because of this show. They would be foolish to let go of the show.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Religion is no excuse for bigotry or discrimination, sorry.

religions say that within the confines of its homosexuality is a sin. Most major religions share a similar aspect of that belief. Roman Catholics certainly do, as those their pope. The pope, ie leader of the roman Catholics, does not call for bigotry or discrimination. That however does mean the sin still isn't their.

So unless you throw out the entire belief system of millions/billions of people to make your new definition of bigot fit, you sir are a fool.

Calling someone a sinner does not make one a bigot.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I said I hope they boycott but still A&E has higher ratings because of this show. They would be foolish to let go of the show.

Big deal. The next reality show will takes it place. People have short memories, and love their TV. I said the exact same thing in the other thread.

In the short and long run....this show doesn't make enough difference to A&E, and subsidiary of Disney, to really care. They'll make up any losses by keeping their advertisers after they let this show go.

But let's be candid. They're getting shit loads of publicity, and the show must go on. One guy down? Doesn't matter, people will still watch. I very much doubt anyone who claims they will boycott will make it past 1 or 2 episodes, they're anger will subside, and they'll go right back to watching it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Big deal. The next reality show will takes it place. People have short memories, and love their TV. I said the exact same thing in the other thread.

In the short and long run....this show doesn't make enough difference to A&E, and subsidiary of Disney, to really care. They'll make up any losses by keeping their advertisers after they let this show go.

But let's be candid. They're getting shit loads of publicity, and the show must go on. One guy down? Doesn't matter, people will still watch. I very much doubt anyone who claims they will boycott will make it past 1 or 2 episodes, they're anger will subside, and they'll go right back to watching it.

Maybe but remember what happened with Chick fil A? All those thugs went after them and it backfired.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe but remember what happened with Chick fil A? All those thugs went after them and it backfired.

Chick fil A is not A&E, and not TV.

The comparison doesn't really mean anything.

Boycott = cancel cable. Anything else is meaningless.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007

We didn't know how to build an airplane 200 years ago.

We didn't have nuclear fission 100 years ago.

We hadn't discovered the Higgs Boson 20 years ago.

I'd say we're getting smarter, not dumber.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Because it does not affect us. Of all the ways I may offend G-d, homosexuality is not one I have to worry about. Human nature is to excuse our own failings, that we may better concentrate on the failings of others at no personal cost to ourselves. Thus we may oppose homosexual marriage, support tax increases on people who earn more than do we, oppose government giveaways we don't use . . . All at no cost to ourselves.

I suspect that the most morally damaging stance on any issue is the one that harms other people while not harming (or actually benefiting) ourselves.

I think you are absolutely correct here.

And still all this talk about boycotting A&E. Does no one care who owns GQ?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
religions say that within the confines of its homosexuality is a sin. Most major religions share a similar aspect of that belief. Roman Catholics certainly do, as those their pope. The pope, ie leader of the roman Catholics, does not call for bigotry or discrimination. That however does mean the sin still isn't their.

Homosexuality is not a sin under Catholic doctrine. The fact you cannot get that simple thing correct pretty much invalidates everything you're going on to say.

Learn first, THEN post. Please!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Unless we're being played and Phil actually did want off the show, there will not be a show after this, or at least not on A&E. This is not Honey Boo Boo, these are self-made millionaires who were fine before A&E & will be fine after A&E. Considering that this is the highest watched non-fiction show in cable TV history, they can easily find another network if they wish to continue the show without A&E. After all, all they must do to get fired (and out of their contracts and the associated non-compete clauses) is to recite fairly orthodox and mainstream Christian values in public.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Actually, A&E is a 50/50 joint venture of Hearst and Disney.

GQ is owned by Conde Nast which is in turn owned by Advance Publications and the Newhouse family. Advance is the major shareholder of the Discovery Channel ,A&E's main competition.
Why was Phil interviewing with GQ?

Last edited: