Phil Hellmuth--the biggest prick in the universe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
If there was an Ass of the Year contest, it would definitely be a fierce battle between him and Bobby Flay.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Toasthead
Originally posted by: Dulanic
yeah...if he was half as good as he thought he was...hed never lose a tourney.

Well thats never true, you could be 10x better then every other player there, and any large tourney your still not likely to win. Luck is still a huge factor. Skill effects your chances, but its still just that... a chance, you might not get a bad beat etc...

So then why do the same people always end up at the final table?

did you watch the last WSOP?

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Poor sport for sure, but a lot of what he says is true. He wouldn't be so wealthy if he was a bad poker player. What he doesn't seem to grasp is that sometimes you get beat by an inferior player or hand. Another fun guy to watch is "the mouth" Mike Matisow (sp?), his commentary keeps it interesting.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ilmater
I get screwed on the #2 part all the time, and it's really dissillusioned me to playing poker.

LOL. I'm sure the girl in your story had no idea what she was up to, but personally I love getting a weak hand, playing it just to screw with people's minds and then actually winning through nothing short of dumb luck.

Poker's a game of chance. No matter how well you play, there's always the luck factor and the human factor.

I don't know much about Phil Hellmuth. Maybe it's because my friends happen to be actors, but we all have a "table persona." It's just an act. One guy is a complete douchebag in-game, but away from the poker table he's a total softie. I suspect what you see of Phil Hellmuth is only what he wants you to see.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
He has probably had that type of personality for awhile but now that poker has gotten huge, I'm sure he exaggerates and acts extremely obnoxious for the TV cameras on purpose.

Same with "the mouth" matusow. He even admitted he acted like he did to Raymer last year on purpose more for TV than anything.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
We did not have the Matusow blow up this year. He was a rock, a steaming rock and then the first to leave with $1000000 from the table.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
He's one of the less aggressive pro players, imo(the playing style, not verbal). I also think he's mannerism is quite possibly the least masculine of all poker players on TV. His fist pumps and other stuff is really, really weak. His post-flop play is usually dead on, too.

scorpmatt

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Universe? I don't think he qualifies for that title. Not even the biggest one in our whole galaxy. Now if you were going for the Biggest one in our solar system....ok, I give you that.

Oh and the monkey, where did you get that shot from? it's great

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I like to watch him. I would love to take him out in the main event, if I ever get a chance to play. Especially if I got in on a cheep flop and hit the nuts with a crappy hand (like holding a A-3 and the flop comming A-A-3 or something). Then he would say some bitchy comment and I would reply with "Haha, got you good bitch!"

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580
He has probably had that type of personality for awhile but now that poker has gotten huge, I'm sure he exaggerates and acts extremely obnoxious for the TV cameras on purpose.

Same with "the mouth" matusow. He even admitted he acted like he did to Raymer last year on purpose more for TV than anything.

Matusow is slighly less of a prick because he occasionally makes fun out of himself.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Dulanic
yeah...if he was half as good as he thought he was...hed never lose a tourney.

Well thats never true, you could be 10x better then every other player there, and any large tourney your still not likely to win. Luck is still a huge factor. Skill effects your chances, but its still just that... a chance, you might not get a bad beat etc...

So then why do the same people always end up at the final table?

Always? Since when? As I said skill is deff a factor, but its not all there is to it, heck alot of the time its not even the main factor. Yes they are more likely to make the final tables, but its far from guaranteed, especially lately.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Yes he's an ass. Who cares?

Mr. Monkey

I liked this years wsop better when a guy went all in with KJ against Phil's AK and spiked a J on the river. Now that was a good rant. Called the guy a donkey who didn't even know how to spell poker, etc. He's a prick but he certainly is entertaining.

Aug 10, 2001
Yes he's an ass. Who cares?

Mr. Monkey

I liked this years wsop better when a guy went all in with KJ against Phil's AK and spiked a J on the river. Now that was a good rant. Called the guy a donkey who didn't even know how to spell poker, etc. He's a prick but he certainly is entertaining.

There's just so many players better than he is who can take a bad beat and not act like a 8-year-old. But yeah, it's sometimes fun watching him have his temper tantrums.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
There's just so many players better than he is who can take a bad beat and not act like a 8-year-old. But yeah, it's sometimes fun watching him have his temper tantrums.
my favorite tantrum was the one after the all-star table and he lost to annie duke and got 2nd place. every other word out of his mouth was a bleep, it was great.