Phenom II x6 1100T 3.8GHz Bootleneck ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
What on earth are you on about? The 980BE is clocked at 3.80GHz and the Q9650 is at 3.00GHz. The fact that the scores are basically tied implies that the IPC of the Phenom II chip is rubbish.

Also, Nehalem almost always outperformed Yorkfield at the same clocks.

Phenom II quads are overrated IMO. The only saving grace was the their high clocks to compete with C2Q/Nehalem while the AMD crowd pretends it was so much cheaper than Intel when it really wasn't compared to 2500K, Lynnfield i5 or Q6600.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Not correct. This guy is trying to sell Intel CPU's.

There is no CAP that suddenly stops and deserves a bottleneck stamp. Find me one and I will give you my chickens

I can tell you do not game much, or if you do, you do not play CPU intensive games, or just don't care. AMD has not competed with Intel in 5 years.... The only viable upgrade is Intel until Zen is released.

Keep in mind that while AMD has been suffering from FX, Intel has moved on to support 4 GHz+ DDR4 which has solid performance gains in CPU limited titles.

You just listed all the games I can get 60fps @ 1080 on with an fx4350 & 7970.

Arma 3 specifically can now be run at 5760/1080 @ Very high w/ 6k view 6k object & 4x FXAA on an 1100T and still maintain over 30 with 50 ai fighting in view.

I dont disagree that cpu bottlenecks exist, but when people who dont know how to configure games assume the benchmark is the best you can get, they tend to give shit advice.

I agree that most canned benchmarks are useless. Most of them do not put a realistic load on the CPU, making a weak CPU look viable! Keep in mind that some of the games I listed cannot achieve 60 fps when CPU limited. A lot of older and newer titles can only load physics and AI on one core.

ARMA does at least include a real benchmark which put immense load on the CPU. The ARMA 2 benchmarks cannot maintain 60fps on any system to date. That doesn't mean an FX system will be the same as the Intel system.... All it does is show how anemic the FX (and old Intel systems) are at CPU limited games. When FPS nearly doubles going from FX -> Haswell+ it is time to wake up and smell the coffee.

You are right. I will admit it can drop to 45 fps, but without a frame counter I dont know a person who can catch that drop, And I have tested.

Some games drop no matter the cpu.Arma 3 easily drops to <20fps at times even well configured on a 6700k (ai).

So you claim you are hitting more than 30fps with just 50 AI in ARMA 3. That is awful. I could easily get the same framerate with well over 2x the units on a modern Intel system! Imagine how much that CPU is holding back your GPU when "**** hits the fan" or so to speak.

Being CPU bottlenecked in these scenarios means that no matter how low you change these settings, your FPS will not change. I could add ~ 100 AI per team (BLUFOR v OPFOR) on ARMA, and I would be hitting a pretty low FPS on average on a modern Intel system. Even lowering the draw distance and putting every setting on the minimum would not change my FPS. The same scenario on FX would be unplayable. I even made a "Battle of the Bulge" CPU benchmark for Invasion 1944. It has nearly 400 enemy troops attacking a broken down convoy of ~50 troops! My FPS ranges from 7-18 fps. I would love to see what happens on an FX... :twisted:

As someone who has a hobby in supporting and making mods in games like ARMA 2 and 3, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Supreme Commander, Kerbal Space Program, and Total War games; I have to push these games to the limit to test them properly. These games' performance scale linearly with clockspeed. A modern Intel system runs circles around any CPU from ~2011 or older.

If I halve my frequency, I get half the FPS. AMD has a HUGE deficit in single threaded performance even back when FX debuted... The difference in 2016 is something no self respecting gamer should miss.

Please remember that no self respecting pc gamer plays a game without tweaking it for his/her setup. I've havent played the game yet, but give me 5 minutes with the .cfg and I'll beat those numbers by 50%.

While that might not make the amd better than the intel, it surely makes it good enough in the eyes of more gamers.

Remember, most games have nothing to change when you are CPU limited by the AI. Not one setting. All that can be done is increasing all the IQ to try to mask being bottlenecked by the CPU.
"Good enough" is quite vague. I need the fastest single threaded performance to even come close to "good enough" and that isn't cutting it at times. If you are fine with holding back your GPU in every title that isn't well threaded, then FX is good enough.

On the other hand, we do have games out now that are well threaded. I can happily recommend an FX 8XXX for someone who only will play Frostbite powered games (or other titles which balance the CPU load perfectly). Unfortunately, not many titles are like this. It is like recommending CFX/SLI because it works in this series of games, even if you may not be playing them that much. Take Kerbal Space Program. It works great on virtually every type of hardware -- Until you start building complex space craft. Only an Intel system has the single threaded performance to push games into this decade; and its barely cutting it.

I find it incredibly hard to recommend a platform that works some of the time. I want my computer to work well with everything. I don't want to make serious compromises, such as having to cap AI to 50 to maintain ~30 fps. If I am getting below 60 fps, I will damn sure be loading a 1:1 scale skirmish or something far more epic.

I can't believe that an enthusiast forum like this has users who believe their 4-6 year old CPU is not holding them back. CPU's can never be fast enough, especially for the likes of the GTX 1080 (Which isn't that fast in the grand scheme of things).

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
That looks bad, but that C2Q trades blows with a higher clocked Nehalem. It may even be the winner.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/49?vs=144

Obviously the i5's single thread CB performance is much higher, but at the same time, the Phenom's score is quite close to the C2Q's (6.5% slower).

The 650 is only a 2C/4T part with a lousier version of the Nehalem IMC. That fact its only slightly slower in MT than a 4C/4T C2Q is a testament of Nehalem uarch improvements.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/49?vs=109 i5 750 vs Q9650 and the former never loses in MT despite clocked 10% slower, which means at least a 10% IPC gain, while in Winrar the IPC advantage is a staggering ~47%.

Last edited:

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
I can tell you do not game much, or if you do, you do not play CPU intensive games, or just don't care. AMD has not competed with Intel in 5 years.... The only viable upgrade is Intel until Zen is released.

I don't play a game just because the reviews say its CPU intensive, that just doesn't get my blood going. I play games I like and they just happen to not be CPU intensive as far as I can tell. My FPS are totally fluid and cause so adverse reaction to my game-play including GTA.

Now days it's more graphics card driven than CPU. I will say if I rendered videos a lot I would ditch this cpu I have 960t unlocked to 6 core. It seems rather slow at that

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Seriously??? Maybe I should pair an atom with a GTX1080, if there is no such thing as a cpu bottleneck. This has to be one of the most absurd and inaccurate statements ever to grace these forums. On top of it, you used incorrect information to accuse another poster of bias. BTW, I hope you arent attached to your chickens. Witcher 3 cpu scaling.

94 FPS with a 3970x and 61 FPS with an 8350, *with the same gpu setup*.

Phenom II 6 core is closer to fx 6100/6300 than 8350 tho..

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Hi everyone.

I know it will be i mean bootleneck but how much important for gaming.Im planning to buy new volta high end gpu.Is it serious problem for gaming ?

I mean 2 years later im gonna buy volta or vega high end gpu.

Sorry about my English.
Buy any GPU you want. At one time, I had 7900GT paired with some P3 and sure as hell I had a lot of fun. But yeah, I'd get a 6700k at this point and call it a day. Thubans are great CPUs, but not for gaming. Build another rig for gaming and repurpose the Thuban for web browsing/server duties. Run it underclocked/undervolted to save power. Or just sell it as others have suggested above. I still have mine, though.

Last edited:

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
While your Thuban is no match for a newer 6700K or something similar, I can't imagine a game it can't play right now. But here's what you need to do before time runs out. People pay big money for 6-core CPU's on Ebay or Amazon, so sell it. For the price people will pay for your CPU/RAM/MB combo, you could most definitely purchase an Intel 6600K outright. And for a little bit extra, you have yourself a nice upgrade.

But seriously, people are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for 6-core CPU's. Might as well use it to your advantage.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
While your Thuban is no match for a newer 6700K or something similar, I can't imagine a game it can't play right now. But here's what you need to do before time runs out. People pay big money for 6-core CPU's on Ebay or Amazon, so sell it. For the price people will pay for your CPU/RAM/MB combo, you could most definitely purchase an Intel 6600K outright. And for a little bit extra, you have yourself a nice upgrade.

But seriously, people are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for 6-core CPU's. Might as well use it to your advantage.

Like you said, it really makes little sense to stick with Thuban and asking whether it is still adequate for gaming when OP can sell it to jump onto a much faster i5 setup at minimal cost. Like the $200+ used A64 X2s back on Ebay in 2008, this sort of opportunities don't come often.

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I still have my 1090T, it's still a decent CPU but has fallen behind compared to current gen. It'll do the job for office, database, streaming, editing, etc multi threaded tasks. But it draws too much power compared to what's out now.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I had both the Phenom II x4 965 and a q9550. My conclusions were my Phenom II @ 3.8 would be about = to my q9550 @ 3.4 when gaming.
When I overclocked my q9550 to 4.0, the Phenom II could not touch it.
I still have both systems. The q9550 @ 4.0 will be getting its final overclocked gtx960 4gb upgrade, any more gpu, will be too much of a bottleneck even @ 1080p. Mabe a real cheap used gtx970 but why throw more money into dying system.

clock for clock, the core 2 quad was a bit faster.

To the OP,if you want better Direct X 11 performance go with a Nvidia GPU with a weak CPU like your Phenom X6. Mabe a used gtx960 4gb or gtx970 at most. Don't waste you money on a new modern GPU for that system.

Last edited:

presentxy

Jul 28, 2015
Thank you guys whole your answer.Like a said before i cant understand english very well so i cant reply very well.But i get something.Of course i know my cpu is weak and i just think about high end gpu with my cpu and i decide not buy high end gpu with my cpu.Im gonna wait for Zen+ vs CannonLake,Volta vs Vega after that im gonna build new pc totaly.At this time AMD comes great with price/performance.Good Zen+ Cpu price/performance with good Vega Gpu price/performance it will be great for 1080p gaming.By the way yes 6 core good for selling :)

Thanks everyone.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I had both the Phenom II x4 965 and a q9550. My conclusions were my Phenom II @ 3.8 would be about = to my q9550 @ 3.4 when gaming.
When I overclocked my q9550 to 4.0, the Phenom II could not touch it.
I still have both systems. The q9550 @ 4.0 will be getting its final overclocked gtx960 4gb upgrade, any more gpu, will be too much of a bottleneck even @ 1080p. Mabe a real cheap used gtx970 but why throw more money into dying system.

clock for clock, the core 2 quad was a bit faster.

To the OP,if you want better Direct X 11 performance go with a Nvidia GPU with a weak CPU like your Phenom X6. Mabe a used gtx960 4gb or gtx970 at most. Don't waste you money on a new modern GPU for that system.
The big problem of doing that is that the Q9550 consumes even more power than the Phenom II with same clocks... everything changed with SB who were the best chips ever made by Intel.