Phenom II X4 955 overclocking adventure

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
@sonnerproud: Does that happen right after the load testing, just randomly, or always? If it's right after stress testing, I'd first look how hot it gets around CPU socket area (vrms) and memory. They simply get exhausted after a long run. If it happens when simply overclocked (but not heated), then there is something too tight in the setup. Be it memory, HT, NB, or anything. It's hard to trouble-shoot things like that because there are a lot of paremeters that BIOS doesn't show. And I noticed different multipliers can give different results for overclocking. (not only CPU multi, but NB and HTT as well)

@geokilla: Intel updates Linpack and some versions work on AMD system and some don't. I tried 3 different ones, and one of them caused instant lock-ups on a stable configuration. I use the one that gives the better score (GFlops) among them. I am not sure which version of Linpack the "LinX" is based on, but Linx has been working fine on my system, too. I do like Linpack because it's easy to have it stress all the memory a system has. But when everything is said and done, I find Cinebench to be an excellent stability test for Phenom II. If I can run multi-threaded rendering (forget single-threaded one) like 5 times in a row without BSOD, I become confident that system will pass Prime or Linpack at that configuration. (as long as ambient temperature is maintained equal or low)

I do not think that PII overclocking is particularly difficult at the time, however. It's pretty much the same with A64 overclocking at the end, IMO.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
@ Lopri:

It is always and not just after a stress test. (I used the Linpack tab on OCCT to stress the memory and it works just fine on this system.) I am certain it is a voltage issue some where. Most likely it is the NB having issues so when I get the time and patience to experiment, I will report back my findings.

I just find it strange this only happens on a cold start and not a reboot. I also find it strange the system passes all stability testing without issue. I might have to just scrape up $40 and buy a decent CPU HS and fan and see if that helps.

@geokilla:

If you followed my post I flashed the BIOS with the latest. I lose that when having to press the clear CMOS button on back of the board and have to re-flash each time I use it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Sylvanas-- do the Ph2's not like 4 sticks of RAM? I've grown quite fond of my 8GB....

I had no issues going from 2 sticks to 4 sticks.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Sylvanas-- do the Ph2's not like 4 sticks of RAM? I've grown quite fond of my 8GB....

I had no issues going from 2 sticks to 4 sticks.

Thanks. Was googling after posting this; looks like running 8GB is only a problem on certain motherboards with AM2+ CPUs when you're trying to run at 1066-- can only do one stick/channel.

Doesn't appear to be any problems with 4x2GB DDR-2 800.

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
thats a killer O/C but damn that 1.5v that you run through that thing is insain!!
Is that everyday use if soI hate to see your electric bill o-O

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: RaptureMe
thats a killer O/C but damn that 1.5v that you run through that thing is insain!!
Is that everyday use if soI hate to see your electric bill o-O

I run at 1.488v Vcore 24/7 3.8ghz 2.6ghz NB. The extra heat doesn't matter to me as everything is watercooled so it never gets too hot anyway.

Thanks. Was googling after posting this; looks like running 8GB is only a problem on certain motherboards with AM2+ CPUs when you're trying to run at 1066-- can only do one stick/channel.

Doesn't appear to be any problems with 4x2GB DDR-2 800.

Yeah should be fine with 8GB, I have found 5-5-5-15 DDR800 1t faster than 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2t on my DFI board so if anyone is wondering, I'd say save a few $ and get DDR800 over 1066.