Phenom II With A Gtx 670

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Interesting, OP. It would appear that you mated a ferarri transmission to a toyota corolla motor. I hope it works out for you. If not there is always the 2500k. :)

Ouch!!! Corolla?...come on bud. I would like to think the Phenom II is like a Muscle car. No top end, but a hell of lot of torque...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I suspect my 1055T at Stock is holding back my 5870, but not enough to cause issues with the games I play. In SR3 I have noticed changes in performance at times and Fraps showed dips into the Mid 30's on occasion, even so the affect was inconsequential and not enough to spur me to overclock.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Ouch!!! Corolla?...come on bud. I would like to think the Phenom II is like a Muscle car. No top end, but a hell of lot of torque...
Torque? The cache doesn't even run at full speed. You have to overclock the CPU-NB to help fix that. It's like an old k-car with carburetors, actually.

:whiste:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Torque? The cache doesn't even run at full speed. You have to overclock the CPU-NB to help fix that. It's like an old k-car with carburetors, actually.

:whiste:

Haha - K-car. My dad owned one of those pieces of crap. Chrysler in the 80's .... not much to say except for the Omni GLH-S.

IGhzI

Nov 6, 2011
That's the whole point im going Intel in Aug I got the expensive part out of the way first Gpu+Psu. 2500 with a Good board runs about 320-350 and a 2011 I think is 500 something.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Haha - K-car. My dad owned one of those pieces of crap. Chrysler in the 80's .... not much to say except for the Omni GLH-S.

They were comfortable. Someone owned one I think one of my brothers and I loved riding in it. confortable bench seats square windows so you could see traffic lights at stop. i'm tall so most cars I have to ride 'pimp' to see up at lights with low roof lines of modern cars.

Oh and better video card is always better. I've noticed every upgrade big time with same 4 years old 920 processor.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They were comfortable. Someone owned one I think one of my brothers and I loved riding in it. confortable bench seats square windows so you could see traffic lights at stop. i'm tall so most cars I have to ride 'pimp' to see up at lights with low roof lines of modern cars.

Oh and better video card is always better. I've noticed every upgrade big time with same 4 years old 920 processor.

Had a 85 Reliant SE with a 2.6 litre, it was alright, until 80kmiles/120k km. Then 1 by 1 everything started to go.

dragelarve

Jun 3, 2012
I suspect my 1055T at Stock is holding back my 5870, but not enough to cause issues with the games I play. In SR3 I have noticed changes in performance at times and Fraps showed dips into the Mid 30's on occasion, even so the affect was inconsequential and not enough to spur me to overclock.

I've just installed a Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce into my system with a 1055T@3.3 GHz, which replaced a 5850. I am suspecting a bottleneck, as I do not get full GPU usage - though, the CPU usage rarely reaches the 90 % mark. Also, there is very little difference from the 1055T@stock and 3.3 GHz, so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I've just installed a Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce into my system with a 1055T@3.3 GHz, which replaced a 5850. I am suspecting a bottleneck, as I do not get full GPU usage - though, the CPU usage rarely reaches the 90 % mark. Also, there is very little difference from the 1055T@stock and 3.3 GHz, so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

Overclock the CPU-NB. Off the top of my head, I think a CPU limited game like Starcraft II gained like 13% or something big like that, and we are talking from when the Phenom CPU was already overclocked, the difference gained when also overclocking the CPU-NB or not.

So give that CPU-NB overclock a try too, see if you get a nice additional boost to complement the CPU overclock and the beefy GPU.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
GTX670 might be a bit much (assuming the OP has a decently clocked PII quad). Something like a 6950 would be perfect for 1080p (which is what I have at the office mated to a PII X3 @ X4 3.8GHz).

dragelarve

Jun 3, 2012
Overclock the CPU-NB. Off the top of my head, I think a CPU limited game like Starcraft II gained like 13% or something big like that, and we are talking from when the Phenom CPU was already overclocked, the difference gained when also overclocking the CPU-NB or not.

So give that CPU-NB overclock a try too, see if you get a nice additional boost to complement the CPU overclock and the beefy GPU.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

As I'm a n00b at overclocking (other than the automatic 25-30 % overclock provided by my AsRock motherboard), what specifically is the CPU-NB?

I see two variables related to NB: NB speed and NB voltage. Though, I'm guessing it's the speed I need to increase. Now, it's at 2400.xx - how high do you think it can go?

Last edited:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Thank you so much for your feedback!

As I'm a n00b at overclocking (other than the automatic 25-30 % overclock provided by my AsRock motherboard), what specifically is the CPU-NB?

I see two variables related to NB: NB speed and NB voltage. Though, I'm guessing it's the speed I need to increase. Now, it's at 2400.xx - how high do you think it can go?
It depends on the chip. 2400mhz was the best mine could do, but they say the Thubans can do ~3000mhz.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Overclocking the NB/L3 makes a large difference in some cases. Too many reviewers just bump the multiplier a bit and call it a day. In many situations there is a good deal of performance to be had by pushing the NB/L3.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Overclocking the NB/L3 makes a large difference in some cases. Too many reviewers just bump the multiplier a bit and call it a day. In many situations there is a good deal of performance to be had by pushing the NB/L3.
Yes but even with the CPU-NB at 3000mhz a 2500k is still a much better CPU.

dragelarve

Jun 3, 2012
It depends on the chip. 2400mhz was the best mine could do, but they say the Thubans can do ~3000mhz.

Looks like the BIOS won't allow increases above x10 - 2400 MHz on the NB Speed.

Guess there's only CPU Multiplier and CPU Frequency to adjust.

Think I'll upgrade the CPU soon ;)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Looks like the BIOS won't allow increases above x10 - 2400 MHz on the NB Speed.

Guess there's only CPU Multiplier and CPU Frequency to adjust.

Think I'll upgrade the CPU soon ;)
If you can get a Microcenter deal then it's a no brainer IMO.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Phenom or not... 670 is still a great card and worth upgrading to, even if you're bottlenecked by your cpu (which you can upgrade later).

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Phenom or not... 670 is still a great card and worth upgrading to, even if you're bottlenecked by your cpu (which you can upgrade later).
Maybe. If you're 25% bottlenecked you would be better off with something like a 7850 IMO. They would probably perform identically in those circumstances.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Maybe. If you're 25% bottlenecked you would be better off with something like a 7850 IMO. They would probably perform identically in those circumstances.
Yeah, but does that 7850 support FXAA? (which looks like a big thing in MP3).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Yeah, but does that 7850 support FXAA? (which looks like a big thing in MP3).
if FXAA is an in game option like it is in MP 3 then yes AMD can use it. Nvidia has the option in their control panel to use FXAA in games that don't come with it.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
if FXAA is an in game option like it it is MP 3 then yes AMD can use it. Nvidia has the option in their control panel to use FXAA in games that don't come with it.
Interesting... will need to read about it.