Phenom II Max temp limit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
For my future upgrades I will never go with AMD because of its heating problem, Intel stands out when it comes to reliabelity even if it is little bit pricey.

Thanks I will start RMA, but what r my chances, can I get new chip from them?

AMD chips run cooler then Intel chips currently......

This wasn't the chips fault to be honest.

I have my bios set to warn me of temps when they reach 60, or if the CPU fan stops working.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
If the CPU fan is not running the CPU won't get past POST, even if it does start up.

As for the BIOS, you have to use an AM3 processor, which essentially is just Athlon IIs and Phenom IIs. That Brisbane will not do, I'm afraid.

You just have to enable the Bios to continue with errors.

I have to set mine this way since my watercooling setup uses 2x 3pin connections currently, so nothing is actually in the CPU fan plug.

My system boots, warns me that there is no cpu fan, then continues.

bkzed

Sep 7, 2010
www.divinedigital.org
I was wrong with my previous assumptions and experience with AMD its good chip with stock setting, but if considering extrem overcloking which one is better still AMD? or Intel?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was wrong with my previous assumptions and experience with AMD its good chip with stock setting, but if considering extrem overcloking which one is better still AMD? or Intel?

To be honest over my last 15 years of overclocking experiance i would have to say Intel has the lead, but you pay for it. AMD does usually offer better bang for the buck performance.

bkzed

Sep 7, 2010
www.divinedigital.org
To be honest over my last 15 years of overclocking experiance i would have to say Intel has the lead, but you pay for it. AMD does usually offer better bang for the buck performance.

Hi Rifterut, what are your full load and ambient temps? also what is your score on cinebench 11.5? I am intrested to see.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I think I know the answer to this one.

Honestly Max temp is 100c ,, it can work at 100c when your gaming or doing intensive stuff rendering etc.

You want to keep the idle temp in the 40's Celsius and full load throttle to 60's and 70's Celsius.

If your temps are in the 80's and 90's on load then I pray that CPU stays alive for another month or soo.

speedfan.jpg

Did you even read the original post?

He is using an AMD chip which has a max temp of 62c.

He is not on an Intel cpu which has a max of 99c.

bkzed

Sep 7, 2010
www.divinedigital.org
I got another problem last night the system starts but after showing bios info on display the screen goes either white or black? I tried removing and reattaching all cables but the problem is still there any Idea what is wrong?

The system was working fine before.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hi Rifterut, what are your full load and ambient temps? also what is your score on cinebench 11.5? I am intrested to see.

When i first tested my overclock it was the middle of summer, ambient temps were in the 25-35c range and my full load temps were up to 90c after a few hours of prime95, it never failed due to heat but im sure i was walking REALLY close to the thermal limits of the chip.

Now thats its cooled down my ambient temps are 12-15c and my full load temps stay around 77-80c.

I dont have cinebench but will see if i can find it to download and run when i get home in a few hours.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got another problem last night the system starts but after showing bios info on display the screen goes either white or black? I tried removing and reattaching all cables but the problem is still there any Idea what is wrong?

The system was working fine before.

Use the jumper on the mobo to reset the bios. This is always a good place to start when trying to diagnose bootup problems.

bkzed

Sep 7, 2010
www.divinedigital.org
Its finally solved.

My heatsink is heavy so it was pulling down my mobo because of wait. I noticed that the mobo screws were also loose that's what making it to hang little bit and causing problems for startup. when I tight all the screws and tried again and it worked

Hi Rifterut

Cinebench is free you can easily downlod it and just run the benchmark. but make it with 11.5 version.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Full load 77-80*C? That is insane.
I have an X3 with the 4th core unlocked. Running full load for all 4 cores at 47-52*C depending on how hot it gets in my house (70*F to 78*F).
That is on the stock cooler and 2 case fans.

Might be time for you to clean the dustbunny's out and maybe put some new thermal paste on (clean the old stuff off before applying the new).

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

just downloaded it, got a 7.18, i have no idea if this is good or not.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
thats really awsome score...

just to give you an idea how fast it is i have z800 hp system at work with 2 no. of xeon 5520 12 gbram it cost $5000 and on cinebench the score is 8.12. also you can check the scores here - www.cbscores.com

cool, thanks for the results link. seems like im right around the other 4-4.2Ghz i7s and right in the same range as the 4Ghz AMD 6 cores.