Phenom II 720 running at half speed

jajig

Apr 4, 2007
I have a really strange speed issue with my new setup. My system will boot up at the speed set in the BIOS (2800Mhz by default), but when I run games or programs (e.g. Crysis) the CPU clocks down to 1600Mhz. You might be thinking I'm some idiot who doesn't know what CnQ is. This isn't the case as it is turned off in the BIOS, Vista Power settings are set High Performance for good measure too!

I'm using AMD Overdrive to check the processor speed on a second monitor. When I launch a game the processor is going from 2800Mhz to 1600Mhz and will stay at that speed even when I exit the game. The only way to speed the processor back up is to increase the multiplier in overdrive back to x14. The multiplier will drop back down if I launch the game again.

Prime95 causes a speed drop too but in a different way. When I first login to Vista the CPU is running at 2800mhz; I run a Prime95 stress test and the CPU runs at 2800Ghz; I exit Prime95 the CPU drops to 1600Mhz; I start Prime95 again and the CPU stays at 1600Mhz. I have to increase the multiplier in Overdrive to get the speed back up.

There seems to be something specific triggering the speed change. Using the Crysis gpu benchmark I noticed if I ALT-TABed while it was loading and increased the multiplier in overdrive the CPU speed would stay at 2800Hmz even after the benchmark finished. Unfortunately, relaunching the benchmark would make the speed drop back down again. Overdrive isn't just reporting the wrong speed either. In the Crysis GPU benchmark in the first 10 seconds @1600Mhz the minimum frame rate is 18fps and @2800Mhz it's 24fps so the CPU is defiantly going slow.

Phenom II 720BE
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P - F4a BIOS
G.Skill 2x2GB NQ 1333 DDR3
Vista Ultimate 32bit SP2

CnQ: Off
ACC: off (It makes my computer unstable tuned on)
Virtulization: off
Spread Specrum: off
Vista power setting: High Performance

This is a clean install of Vista with the latest drivers. I only have Office 2007 and a few games installed.

Edit: I forgot to add the; the whole computer is running frosty cool - not a heat issue.

jajig

Apr 4, 2007
The only BIOS's available to me are F4a and F4g. The only difference is F4g has the proper settings for a Phenom II 955, otherwise they are the same BIOS and give me the same problem. The original BIOS was F2 but Gigabyte took that off their site so I can't downgrade to test unfortunatly.

jajig

Apr 4, 2007
I haven't had a chance to try yet. I'll have time on Saturday to give it a shot.

jajig

Apr 4, 2007
richierich1212 you were right it was the BIOS. The computer runs properly now.

Thanks for your help.