Phenom Black in stock?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
These still have the TLB problem and are hit and miss as far as overclocking goes. Sure as hell not worth $300.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I am not even sure I would pay 150$ for them, what kind of moron would buy these is beyond me...

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I'd cough up $150 for one just to play with it. For $300 I'd rather buy a Q6600 and a February put contract on AMD at $5. =)

Just joking about the second, I'd keep the $21 in my wallet instead. But let's hope fanboys line up to buy them. AMD could use the money and sales.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
The only one I've seen was by LostCircuits and is linked in the thread above this one.
It was pretty pitifull they were only able to get 2.5ghz and not completely stable, the 9900 did better.

Makes you scratch your head, what good is a CPU with an unlocked multi if it has only 200mhz headroom.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
The only one I've seen was by LostCircuits and is linked in the thread above this one.
It was pretty pitifull they were only able to get 2.5ghz and not completely stable, the 9900 did better.

Makes you scratch your head, what good is a CPU with an unlocked multi if it has only 200mhz headroom.

Wow.. I didn't realize that core was so close to its limits to beginw with. Good info!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: taltamir
I am not even sure I would pay 150$ for them, what kind of moron would buy these is beyond me...

Aren't you the one who bought an Athlon 64 6400+? :p

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

Well, at least the 6400+ is a good stable CPU at stock speeds. Not very overclockable, but if I was given the choice of a solid 2-core AMD X2 vs. a buggy 4-core Phenom, it'd be the X2. Of course, Intel makes more sense at that price point, but I digress.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think they should change the name to the red edition since amd seems to be operating in the red.:D

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

Which just goes to show I am not an intel fanboy. The X2 6400 is a better CPU then this phenom (even at the same cost), and it costs half as much. Anyways I returned it. (it was defective... not stable stock speeds, and hotter then hell)
Buying the X2 6400 allowed me to do a drop in replacement without swapping the mobo. If going on a dual core processor the intel might be a better purchase. But if you already own an AM2 mobo then it costs less to buy a high end X2... HOWEVER, the problem with this CPU is that its at 2.3ghz for four cores at 150$ vs the X2 @ 3.2ghz for 2 cores at 150$ (with only a few percent per mhz improvement in the new design... NOT including the bug and its fix).... so that means MUCH poorer single threaded (or two threaded) performance than an X2 at a higher clock speed.

So if you already own an AM2 mobo with a slower CPU than your only SENSIBLE upgrade path is a 6400 for 150$. Buying this for 150$ will net you faster video encoding, but poorer performance in everything else. In games, in windows, in everything. Thats why it is not even worth 150$. Because at 150$ the X2 6400 beats it by a LOT in everything else.

If you have an AM2 board and 300$ to buy the processor upgrade you are better off buying an replacement intel mobo for 65$ and an intel cpu for 235$ instead of buying this piece for 300$.

If you don't own a modern mobo or own an intel one then hands down there is no argument that you should get a core2. For example, if you owned an intel mobo and were offered this processor for 50$... you would still need to buy a decent AM2 mobo, decent AM2 mobos run ~100$ (ASUS M2N-E is the best price and feature combo IMAO). So thats 150$... at which price you could buy a C2D for your existing mobo that will annihilate it in everything but single threaded performance.

PS. All those things weren't taking into account the bug... either you run a defective system, or you install a fix that makes the phenom significantly slower clock to clock compared to the X2.

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
I wouldn't touch a CPU from AMD with a 10ft stick these days with what Intel has on the table (especially with Wolfdale on the way)

btcomm1

Sep 7, 2006
I really hope AMD can pull something off, we need competition otherwise Intel will become the .2 ghz more a year and 600 bucks cost for their CPU's.

TC777

May 12, 2005
You can buy this from Newegg for $240 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819103244

All you people trashing AMD won't have a smile on your face if AMD goes out of business, and you will see what prices Intel jacks theirs up to. Cheaper prices didn't come along until AMD first introduced their cpus. Yet so many Intel fanboys are plain trashing AMD constantly. Everyone doesn't have to have the latest and greatest cpu to beat someone elses benchmarks.

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by: tcool93
You can buy this from Newegg for $240 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819103244

All you people trashing AMD won't have a smile on your face if AMD goes out of business, and you will see what prices Intel jacks theirs up to. Cheaper prices didn't come along until AMD first introduced their cpus. Yet so many Intel fanboys are plain trashing AMD constantly. Everyone doesn't have to have the latest and greatest cpu to beat someone elses benchmarks.

And not everyone trashing AMD is an Intel fan boy