Phenom 9850BE @ 3.15

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=315rm1.jpg]
315rm1.th.jpg
[/URL]

currently very stable, i can prolly lower the vcore to ~1.38 but i wanted to make sure it was stable.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated if you see i am overlooking anything at all. If anyone has reached any higher will you please post settings/voltages.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Using AOD, can you clock individual cores higher? What NB+mem voltage are you using? What about NB frequency? I'd recommend having a look through the last 10 pages of the K9A2 Plat thread on XS, plenty of info there.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
That's looking good. Have you run OCCT or Orthos? Those are the ultimate arbiter of stability. In fact OCCT will break systems that stand up to Orthos. But good results from that CPU/mobo combo. Good to see.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Make sure to test both load AND idle.

By "Idle" i mean, just surfing the web, and doing generic things on the PC.

Keep in mind that each cores have different levels of OC headroom, so if one core cant go over x GHz, then it will result in unstability.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
That's looking good. Have you run OCCT or Orthos? Those are the ultimate arbiter of stability. In fact OCCT will break systems that stand up to Orthos. But good results from that CPU/mobo combo. Good to see.

Funny thing is sometimes Orthos will break systems that are OCCT stable rofl :p Did on mine.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Using AOD, can you clock individual cores higher? What NB+mem voltage are you using? What about NB frequency? I'd recommend having a look through the last 10 pages of the K9A2 Plat thread on XS, plenty of info there.

From what I've seen you can overclock the cores individually. Right now I have all 4 of my cores at 2.8GHz and the northbridge at the stock 2.0Ghz. I'm trying to find out what a safe voltage is for the northbridge (anyone know?) and push that. To keep the heat down I think I may try and just overclock core 0 and 1 to 3+GHz, I would imagine this will help keep temps more reasonable (right now I'm hitting 60C with 2.8GHz @ 1.4 volts) at least until I get a better air cooler/heatsink. Right now my Arctic 64 Pro does ok, but I think I want a something a bit better, it's getting to be about 80F in the computer room and the Arctic Cooler seems to struggle with that high of an ambient temp.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Originally posted by: lightstar
nice. what CPU cooler/heatsink are you using?

I am using zalman 9700NT

Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Make sure to test both load AND idle.

By "Idle" i mean, just surfing the web, and doing generic things on the PC.

Keep in mind that each cores have different levels of OC headroom, so if one core cant go over x GHz, then it will result in unstability.

Yea i have seen this. My system at 3.25 is very stable load, but restarts in idle.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

From what I've seen you can overclock the cores individually. Right now I have all 4 of my cores at 2.8GHz and the northbridge at the stock 2.0Ghz. I'm trying to find out what a safe voltage is for the northbridge (anyone know?) and push that. To keep the heat down I think I may try and just overclock core 0 and 1 to 3+GHz, I would imagine this will help keep temps more reasonable (right now I'm hitting 60C with 2.8GHz @ 1.4 volts) at least until I get a better air cooler/heatsink. Right now my Arctic 64 Pro does ok, but I think I want a something a bit better, it's getting to be about 80F in the computer room and the Arctic Cooler seems to struggle with that high of an ambient temp.

for NB volts i am using 1.225 and have been able to push it to 2.25ghz (most i have tried)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Any more progress OP?

I'm running my northbridge at 2.25GHz now. Using a 1:1.66 ram divider I have my memory at 750mhz. If I'm able to push the northbridge to 240 then I'll get my full rated 800mhz, I'm going to see if I get lucky or not and go for that after I do some more stability testing. My setting right now:

HT: 225mhz
CPU 12.5x (2.812GHz core speed)
HT ratio: 8x (1800MHz HTT speed... anyone know if this will affect performance? I know on the A64's going less then the 1.0GHz HTT speed really didn't matter much at all for performance unless you went well under the full 1.0GHz speed)
1.225v on the northbridge
1.425v on the CPU cores.

It looks like I didn't get that great of a chip for the core overclocking speed. I can boot at 3.0GHz, but it'll lock up at the desktop. I plan on getting a better cooler soon and giving it a bit more voltage and see if I can't get 3.0GHz. Other then that I plan on seeing how far I can push the northbridge. From what I saw in the HD x264 benchmark thread it looks like all things being equal the push in the northbridge from 2.0GHz to 2.25GHz was worth nearly 10% better performance.