Phenom 2 550 stock voltage running at 1.392v

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
That does seem a tad high. Most Ph-II X2's I've seen run at around 1.3V, some at 1.325V. Have you tried using other programs to verify that this reading is accurate? If there's a hardware monitor available from BIOS setup, check it as well. You should enable Cool n Quiet, then it would idle at around 0.9V.

However the voltage is not unsafe. The nominal voltage goes all the way up to 1.425V. It's possible you got a "dud" that needed this high a voltage to be stable, though it's probably the mobo that supplies a higher voltage than needed, or simply an incorrect readout. If it's stable and the temps are fine, then don't worry, especially if you're not planning on OC'ing.

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
Originally posted by: JimmiG
That does seem a tad high. Most Ph-II X2's I've seen run at around 1.3V, some at 1.325V. Have you tried using other programs to verify that this reading is accurate? If there's a hardware monitor available from BIOS setup, check it as well. You should enable Cool n Quiet, then it would idle at around 0.9V.

Yeah I verified in hardware monitor and it shows the same voltage. Cool and quiet is enabled.

However the voltage is not unsafe. The nominal voltage goes all the way up to 1.425V. It's possible you got a "dud" that needed this high a voltage to be stable, . If it's stable and the temps are fine, then don't worry, especially if you're not planning on OC'ing.

Yeah Im not really worried about it since Im not going to overclock at all, so if the voltage is considered safe then I should be straight since im more worried about stability than speed. Im just trying to see what the experts have to say on the matter since I found it odd.

Thanx.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Well it looks like that mobo doesn't "really" support Phenom II cpus. But if you have no problem with it overvolting a little then it should be fine. Did you get that combo at Frys?

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
This has been the case on AMD cpus in small form factor boards for a long time. Athlon XP small form factor boards usually sat at 1.50v vs the required 1.45v or less for XP CPU's. In your case you should be glad you're running at 1.40v, as there is already a part in the Phenom lineup that would not work on your board were it not for the added voltage.

Unfortuneately, you'll most likely have to step out of that SFF board if you want more options. Be sure you look for high performance, low performance cpu settings in your bios though, voltage settings are not the same on such boards and have a way of hiding.

eternalone

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2008
Originally posted by: richierich1212
Well it looks like that mobo doesn't "really" support Phenom II cpus. But if you have no problem with it overvolting a little then it should be fine. Did you get that combo at Frys?

What do you mean by "really"?

Yeah I bought it before the deal though. :(

I might have to return the board though tomorrow since Im not comfortable with the way its over volting and no voltage control in the advanced overclocking options.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah I'd say return the board then. I like to run my unlocked 550 @ 3.4GHz / 2.6GHzNB with 1.3125v. Yours should do stock clocks at lower.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
You can't change the voltage on the CPU? What about doing a Ctrl + F1 in the BIOS, doesn't that provide the advanced menu where you can do such things?

Chuck