pets from the animal shelter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
We (I lived with my parents then) got a cat in '88 from the shelter. He had calicivirus (FCV) and was sick with a cough for a few days. The vet first told us we should put him to sleep! We refused since we had had him for a couple days and were already attached to him, so the vet treated him. That was 15 years ago! He's still alive with no problems, besides getting a little grumpy sometimes when he doesn't get his way. I left him at my parents when I moved out. :(

Shelters are great. Were else can you have such a large variety and seletction?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I definitely think adopting from shelters is a really good idea, but besides health, there are risks. We adopted two dogs from a shelter, one who'd been abused and the other as a five week old puppy. They both developed behavior problems (unrelated to training; we've had many dogs and these are the only two with behavior issues) and were biting small boys. Puppies separated at too early of an age from their mother are more at risk for problems like this, and some abused dogs never quite get over their abuse enough to be reliable pets around more than just their immediate owners. I would still adopt from a shelter though.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Our Simba was from the pound. He was picked up a couple days before we saw him at the pound. There was a mandatory 3 day wait so my parents waited since 5am the morning he was eligible for adoption. Good thing too because some dude came at 7am and it was first come first served.

He's been great... no health problems... but he did have 1 testicle either smaller than the other or missing... but we found out when we got him neutered so it's not like it mattered. Simba rules. Too bad I moved out of the house and see him only a couple times a week.

all168

May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: HotChic
I definitely think adopting from shelters is a really good idea, but besides health, there are risks. We adopted two dogs from a shelter, one who'd been abused and the other as a five week old puppy. They both developed behavior problems (unrelated to training; we've had many dogs and these are the only two with behavior issues) and were biting small boys. Puppies separated at too early of an age from their mother are more at risk for problems like this, and some abused dogs never quite get over their abuse enough to be reliable pets around more than just their immediate owners. I would still adopt from a shelter though.

Something like the

174 Chihuahua ?