Petition to allow Open Carry at Republican convention

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Interesting. So no interest in what causes violence and the ~32,000 firearms deaths per year. Because if not... you will still have a similar number of deaths by other means. Me.. I would like to see what could be done to improve mental health treatment in the U.S. along with supporting candidates who are open to legalizing certain narcotics. To me those two things would go further into keeping more people alive than the silly notion that confiscating guns will somehow make the U.S. a peace loving utopia.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Interesting. So no interest in what causes violence and the ~32,000 firearms deaths per year. Because if not... you will still have a similar number of deaths by other means. Me.. I would like to see what could be done to improve mental health treatment in the U.S. along with supporting candidates who are open to legalizing certain narcotics. To me those two things would go further into keeping more people alive than the silly notion that confiscating guns will somehow make the U.S. a peace loving utopia.

Not mutually exclusive.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

knife and bow use inherently reduces the rate of non-targeted 2ndary deaths that result from guns.

Even one life matters right?

right?

I would also love to address mental health issues. Would be great if we still had the mental health capacity that we had, in terms of treatment centers, back in the 70s and early 80s...you know before the GOP systematically dismantled that infrastructure as unnecessary, turning patients out into the streets and prisons. (I guess it was thought that the hospitals kinda got in the way of all the trickling-down? I dunno. Must be something else, at least, because it still hasn't trickled. Maybe we should restore our earlier mental health capacities in the meantime, while we try to figure out what's stopped the trickling?)

Last edited:

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I think its a great idea! this is the first petition I have ever signed.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
To be fair, this should be done at the dem convention as well. It'd be fascinating to see what happens when it sinks into the peabrains of the Bernie (gimme my free sh*t) supporters that the game was rigged for Hillary.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Bows require skill to use. If you had to take weeks or months of dedicated training to kill someone I think you would also pick up some of the self discipline needed to not do so.

Knifes are a completely different matter. It takes some real anger to kill someone with a knife. It requires passion. You don't get to separate yourself from the death. It takes more time and effort then pulling a trigger. Only a true psychopath would stab someone to death on a whim. You don't walk though a building stabbing people to death. If everyone that wanted to kill someone had to do so with a knife there would be a lot fewer deaths.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please. Nobody with any sense or power advocates firearms confiscation. It's ridiculous paranoia.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
To be fair, this should be done at the dem convention as well. It'd be fascinating to see what happens when it sinks into the peabrains of the Bernie (gimme my free sh*t) supporters that the game was rigged for Hillary.

To be fair, you're full of shit up to your eyeballs. Dems in general don't see firearms as fashion accessories or security blankets & would view the notion of carrying them at the convention as completely daft. Guns are tools & there's damned little opportunity to use them constructively in most of life's activities & no opportunity at all some place like a convention hall.