Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Sounds interesting.
A breakthrough of some kind in AI.
Is the AI now self aware ?

http://www.gamersglobal.com/news/647

Germany ?
We recently met with Peter Molyneux and asked him for more information about his next game, which we have already reported on. While the information he gave us is sketchy at best, we wanted to share it with you. This next, not yet announced game will be in some way linked to the experimental Dimitri, and Lionhead Studios have been working on it for half a year, already.

Here's what Peter told us: "I?m saying absolutely nothing. I?ve been sat down in a room by the head of PR [of Microsoft Games, --ed.] and been told to not talk about it.", Peter began. And went on to talk about it in a very cautious way:

"Since Black&White, we?ve been thinking a lot about AI, Lionhead was founded with that thought of AI in mind. In terms of the core or the theory of the AI, we?ve moved from Black&White onto a project called Dimitri, which I?ve been tantalizing you about for a long time. And that team kept on researching. Dimitri was always an experimental thing, which is why I never showed it."

Peter Molyneux continued: "And then it moved from that experiment to a moment in time that happened six months ago when a discovery was made, and this discovery has been so exciting that it has lead to Lionhead focussing on it and sculpting a game around that. I think that discovery is so significant... This discovery has lead us to start a game and that game will be on the front cover of Nature magazines and Science magazines."

Our guess is that we have to wait for Fable 2 to finally come out before more robust information about this AI-heavy project (anybody else thinking "Artificial Life"?) will surface. Asked about the exact release date, Molyneux repeated his hints about the "trees still having leaves, but with a brownish tint". That's end of September, isn't it?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Will this new AI code a goddamn new Dungeon Keeper since his team can't seem to make anything decent on their own?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hasent this been advertised before? AI that adapts to players tactics and provides a real challenge, basically thinks for itsself? Then it turns out it never does and it blocks itsself in its own base with a horde of low cost units struggling to find a way out.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Coming from Molyneux, you can expect this to be not nearly as great as he makes it sound.

karioskasra

May 4, 2005
The same Peter Molyneux who later apologized for Fable sucking and lacking promised features (in his own words)? Why do I find it so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Here's what Peter told us: "I?m saying absolutely nothing. I?ve been sat down in a room by the head of PR [of Microsoft Games, --ed.] and been told to not talk about it.",

So this is just noise and hype.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Regs
Here's what Peter told us: "I?m saying absolutely nothing. I?ve been sat down in a room by the head of PR [of Microsoft Games, --ed.] and been told to not talk about it.",

So this is just noise and hype.

I have never heard anything about this.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
Hasent this been advertised before? AI that adapts to players tactics and provides a real challenge, basically thinks for itsself? Then it turns out it never does and it blocks itsself in its own base with a horde of low cost units struggling to find a way out.

Yep, heard it all many times before. Great new AI blah blah blah..., then it runs into the first tree in its path and gets stuck.

Just in case someone hasn't seen it. Microsoft's great AI achievement in speech recognition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It'd be cool. I just want a new Black & White. Screw Fable.
Although i never played B&W 2. Maybe I should...

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
In games, it seems like the best AI usually has nothing revolutionary about it. Isn't it usually just the same old finite state machine, just lovingly crafted with ample testing and development devoted to it?

I remember reading something about how most players usually preceived the same AI with more health as more intelligent, when in fact it was exactly the same.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The only thing that peaked my interest is that he said it was going to be published in nature and science magazines.

Usually they don't post gaming type articles unless its significant.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds nice, but by the time it actually gets released like 80% of those features will have been cut because this is Peter fucking Molyneux we're talking about.

In any event, even if it was amazing, I'm not sure I'd care, because Peter Molyneux always manages to make something weird and unappealingly esoteric that normal people have a hard time giving a damn about.

Originally posted by: Molondo

Because he said nothing. Can't you read?

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
OMG!!!! It was Peter Molyneux who is responsible for creating SkyNet.

Quick, someone call Sarah Connor!!!

damn: beaten to the joke. :(

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
It seems to me like AI in games has been getting worse over the last few years. Probably because the AI is simply dependent on huge "if-then-else" tables, and as more and more time and money is spent on graphics and whizz-bang, less time is spent refining the AI.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
It seems to me like AI in games has been getting worse over the last few years. Probably because the AI is simply dependent on huge "if-then-else" tables, and as more and more time and money is spent on graphics and whizz-bang, less time is spent refining the AI.

Its b/c, ultimately, the games themselves are governed by if-then-else rules.

"If game looks pretty, then gamers will buy it, else we can blame its failure on something not as tangible (like AI)"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The only thing that peaked my interest is that he said it was going to be published in nature and science magazines.
Maybe next he'll tell us how it will make us its bitch? ;)

Cloverfield all over again? Hints, no real information, try stir up a viral buzz, then the outcome is that it blows goats for a nickel a herd.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

Cloverfield all over again? Hints, no real information, try stir up a viral buzz, then the outcome is that it blows goats for a nickel a herd.

woah woah woah. Cloverfield kicked major ass! It was never meant to be some academy-award winning movie. Something to entertain, that is all. And it succeeded. ;)

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484
It sounds nice, but by the time it actually gets released like 80% of those features will have been cut because this is Peter fucking Molyneux we're talking about.

In any event, even if it was amazing, I'm not sure I'd care, because Peter Molyneux always manages to make something weird and unappealingly esoteric that normal people have a hard time giving a damn about.

we are bitter now aren't we :)

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: ja1484

we are bitter now aren't we :)

Nope, just trying to figure out the situation :)

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Don't believe Molyneux until anything actually happens. He hyped up Fable and BW2 so badly that Black & White lost a ton of fans and the PR department told him to STFU or GTFO.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

let's ignore it till it happens

if it doesn't, he will just lose more and more credibility

Fable:LC had some pretty good ideas and a story that flowed well even if the SQs weren't up to it; .. B&W2 - after it was patched - was a decent Godgame/RTS hybrid that attempted to have good AI.