Pet Health Question - Cat keeping one eye shut.

Ticks

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2003
Well, my good friend Mr. Tickles is completely holding one eye shut. There is also some tearing. I'm going to take him to the vet but it's going to have to wait till Tuesday. He doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever.

I can kinda pry his eye open to look in there but...there is like a white membrane that covers his actual eye...I guess this is his eyelid?? Does anyone have a greater understanding of cat eyes?

I recently got a kitten and i'm thinking they might have been playing too hard and Mr. Tickles might have caugh a claw to the eye.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Keep an eye on it. If any greenish puss shows up, get his butt to the vet right away.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Please tell me you didn't really name your cat Mr. Tickles...

If so, he probably got an a$$ wupping by the other cats and lost an eye... and it's all your fault.

Aarrgh!

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Yes, cats have a second inner eyelid, like vulcans.

(not joking)

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com
could be an ulcer - the membrane across the eye will shut until the ulcer is healed. Our cat has had a couple, they usually clear up after a day or two but if he keeps getting them then the vet may need to clean up any scratches on the eye.

Stress can cause them, as can scratches or various chemicals they come in contact with in the outside world

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Take him to a vet. Probably you'll need a good two weeks of a twice-daily dose of Calendula-ointment and Zithromax. Whilst Zithromax is for people, it works wonders on cats. Ask for it. The ointment is supposed to be applied to BOTH eyes twice a day until the tube is empty (usually 10-14 days/cat), and the Zithromax is a powder that you mix with water. You also give it twice a day, for about 7-10 days. About half a syringe will do (those small, lean ones).

You'll find that the first time is really smooth, after that he'll get more lively and fight. Trust me, our cats've got the same, it works wonders. If your vet doesn't want to give you Zithromax, visit a drugstore. It's an over-the-counter med.

Honestly, the stuff rocks. Good luck with Mr. Tickles :).

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer

If so, he probably got an a$$ wupping by the other cats and lost an eye... and it's all your fault.

Aarrgh!

:laugh:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
We recently had a problem with one of our goat's eyes. Our vet simply had us using triple antibiotic ointment on the affected eye. (The goat had a type of disease that led to paralysis on one side of his face; we caught it early enough, and with penicillin shots every day for 2 weeks, the goat has almost completely recovered. The paralysis is the reason the vet was called.) The vet said the goat would lose his eye; we were delaying the inevitable with the treatment, but he's still recovering... I'd estimate that he has at least 50% of his vision in that eye, if not 90% or more. Reason for recovery: constant care that was started immediately after symptoms were observed. Had we waited even a day or two, the goat might have died.

But, after you go to the vet, that's pretty much what you're going to end up with: an antibiotic creme to apply to its eye, and a vet bill.
Let me know if I'm wrong.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Easy. It's pretending it is sleeping, hoping you'll turn your back or better, go to sleep.

It will then climb up on your chest, put it's mouth to yours and suck your soul out of you, leaving you a vapid, empty shell of your former self. Death by impalement would be better than this fate.

Kill the cat. Now.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer

Aarrgh!

LMAO! :D

letdown427

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
How old is Mr Tickles?

He might just be going through an 'emo' stage, self harming, that kind of thing. Probably stems from his name, being bullied by the other cats...

I wish I was as funny as Rumpltzer :( ;)

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Could just be a simple injury. Keep an eye on it, and take him to the vet if it doesn't get better (or gets noticeably worse).

My cat will do this from time to time, but that's because he'll rub the side of his face against something....and occasionally, he'll rub too hard, or against something that give his eye (or surrounding area) a bit of a scratch. Shoot, I've seen him with a small sore area, where he's rubber himself almost raw! Nothing wrong with him, other than that (no miniature creatures on his skin, etc), just my cat likes to rub......and in a couple days, he's back to normal. :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
can you handle looking at yourself with both eyes? ;)

get him to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully just a scratch and not more.