Personal Secure Home Server/Cloud?

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
Here is a scenario I have a question about:

1. IPhone or Android phone with limited internal storage (16GB) and no SD card option.
2. "Unlimited data" plan.
3. Don't know if I can or should trust cloud services offered by Apple, Google, etc., and looking into other
options, like having my own secure server/cloud at home that my phone can connect to and securely upload
files, thus freeing up space on my iPhone or Android phone.

Other details:
1. Want to encrypt the files on the phone before transferring them to the secure server/cloud. Possibly just
encrypt a folder containing multiple files into one encrypted file/container for simplicity.

Questions:
1. Are there any iPhone/Android encryption apps that are just as strong/trustworthy as truecrypt, veracrypt,
luks/dm-crypt?

2. What would be the best secure server/private home cloud solutions?

3. Would it be simpler/better just to encrypt and upload to a decent public cloud from Amazon, Google, MSFT,
and Apple?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
3. Would it be simpler/better just to encrypt and upload to a decent public cloud from Amazon, Google, MSFT,
and Apple?
Yes, it would be lots easier doing it this way, you don't have to worry about server upkeep or backups and even hardening the server.
No matter what you end up picking, you still have to worry about rogue programs on said device that pretend to be one thing, when they are also a trojan to steal your information (which is why a rooted Android is best, so you can setup a good firewall, and pick which programs can access the internet and all that good stuff).

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
Thanks, what rooted Android do you recommend? And if going with iPhone is there a similar protective measure/option (I'm guessing no but doesn't hurt to ask to be sure).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I never used it myself but check out Owncloud, it might do what you want.

I personally store all my data at home and just access mostly via NFS. I don't keep much on my phone, I download pictures off it with FTP once in a while, maybe upload mp3's to change ring tone etc. Though with so many offerings of free/cheap virtually unlimited cloud storage it is always tempting to use it as backup. You would just encrypt the entire dataset in a single large file, and upload that. Every couple months you upload a new one and keep the old one there too.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I have been using OneDrive with Microsoft for about 3 years now. 1 TB came with my Office365 subscription. I use a Lumia 950XL, win 10 phone. So all my pics, docs, everything gets synced with my laptop and desktop at home. It's very handy and easy for me.