perseverance rover landing on mars - today 2/18

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Gonna do my best to watch the coverage. I'm really hoping they pull it off as well as they did with Opportunity Curiosity. (sorry...wrong rover)

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
just a reminder that this is happening today, coverage has already started on NASA TV

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Got my reminder set on my cable box for the Discovery Ch. coverage.
Edit: Just lots of this is what's going to happen on the NASA live channel at the moment.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
touchdown, now comes the the wait for confirmation it survived

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
As I understand ... This one has a 20mp camera which is a big upgrade from Curiosity’s 4mp one. We should get some awsome images. But there should also be high quality video of the landing (complete with audio) which is going to be incredible to watch.

Reactions: Pohemi

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Congratulations to NASA, the engineers, and everyone who supported those who have contributed to the project!

It's been fascinating to see the Sky Crane landing concept be validated once more. I remember when Spirit landed on Mars in the 2004 and it literally involved dropping the rover from a few meters off the ground, with it encapsulated in a lattice of balloons mind you. The good folks at NASA were like, "Yeah, we can't do this with a much larger, heavier rover. We need to come up with something more graceful".

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This has been a heck of a month for Mars exploration: Hope and Tianwen1 both made it to orbit, now Perseverance has successfully landed. We’ve still got the lander part of Tianwen1 to happen (several months before they try that, though) and Perseverance has a drone/helicopter!

Good Times for once

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
According to Scientific American:

The very first thing Perseverance will do after landing is to fire some pyrotechnic devices, releasing the covers on cameras on board the rover. It will then take images in front and behind the rover and send those back to Earth via NASA’s orbiting Mars Odyssey spacecraft and Europe’s Trace Gas Orbiter. After that? A quick nap of course, “to recharge the batteries until the next day on Mars,”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
NASA/JPL are pretty fucking good at this whole rover thing 😎
As a person who took care of electronics gear for a living, there are a millions things that could go wrong. But, although they may be a PITA, if you have good QA (the kind that actually know their shit) and your engineering designs are simple and robust as you can make, amazing things happen. None of the launches I acquired data for ever went into orbit though.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
According to Scientific American:

Wait... so the first thing they’ll do is detonate something off the cameras and hope the camera lenses survive? Oy.... have to keep reminding myself that an engineer way smarter than me already figured out this was the “easy”/cheaper way to protect cameras during landing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wait... so the first thing they’ll do is detonate something off the cameras and hope the camera lenses survive? Oy.... have to keep reminding myself that an engineer way smarter than me already figured out this was the “easy”/cheaper way to protect cameras during landing.
Probably nothing bigger than a "lady finger" to pop off a lens cover. I doubt very much that the pyrotechnic is between the lens and the cover anyway. Actually, much simpler and more reliable than a spring that might jam or something.