Perseid Meteor Shower & Comet NEOWISE - anyone looking?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

I forgot to go out last night so i figured i'd give it a try tonight. Grabbed my binoculars & stepped outside a little after 10pm. Crap, some clouds moving in, but there's plenty of stars. It's a nice night so i figured i'd take a walk as i had to at least get out to the road, if not walk a short distance to even see the thing.
Get out to the road & there's a cloud layer hovering on the NW horizon, exactly were i needed to look :(

I start heading north & panning the sky a bit but didn't see anything yet. Kept at it on & off as i moved up the road.
Damn! there it is, even thru the clouds! :)
As the cloud layers moved thru i'd lose the nucleus or the tail would fade a bit but i could still see it. It's only about 10 degrees above the horizon, in a cloud layer & North is where i get the worst light pollution but it was still brighter tan i expected. After i was outside for 1/2hr or so i could even see it naked eye.

Heavens Above has it at magnitude 2.5 now. Get out & take a look if you get a chance. First naked eye comet i've seen in awhile.
For observers in the northern hemisphere, in the morning, the comet appears low above the north-eastern horizon, below Capella. In the evening, the comet can be seen low in the north-western sky. In the second half of July 2020, Comet NEOWISE will appear to pass through the constellation of Ursa Major, below the asterism of the Big Dipper (The Plough).

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
I saw in some article that this week, it should start being visible in the evening, so I've started to try and keep an eye out, but it is still close-ish to the horizon (enough that local features may block the view). I think next week, it may be a little higher in the sky, but definitely going to try and keep an eye out when it isn't cloudy.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Finally saw it tonight. I’ve been looking in the morning and then in the evening but first smoke from forest fires and then general air pollution obscured it. I can see it with binoculars and spotting scope but not naked eye.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I only really found out about it after I started my night shifts. Hoping it won't be too late by the time I'm off so I can go take a look. Hoping to get some pictures too.

Somebody else in my city got this pic though:

107963205_3933744203367364_4187414318963217475_o.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to top that. Awesome to get the northern lights at same time.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
my attempt to take some pics last night were foiled by clouds....will try again tonight...

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Pretty much more of the same tonight, It was i little higher in the sky but still down in the muck for me.
Saw what i guess was an out of control satellite... spinning with bright flashes.
Couple faint meteors.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So looks like I'll miss out on this. It's my last night shift but it's suppose the rain the entire time I'll be off. Pisses me off, always ends up that way. It was nice all the days I works working though...

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Thanks for reminding me, I will go out tonight. We have had clouds in the PNW for a few days, but next week is going to be clear and hot. I wonder how long it will be visible?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I finally have time off. Of course, there's clouds and it's suppose to start raining tomorrow and will continue through until the next time I work. How long are we suppose to be able to see this for? Really hoping I do eventually get a chance.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I wonder how long it will be visible?
How long are we suppose to be able to see this for?
With comets, who knows. If it holds up, it might still be close to naked eye thru the middle of August, depending on how dark your skies are. Should be able to see it with binoculars till near the end of August.
You just never know how things will go with comets. There was one earlier in the year that had great potential then all of a sudden fizzled out.

Red Squirrel, you're farther North so it'll be higher in the sky for you, so that may help.

If anyone needs help finding this(or anything else), let me know & i can show you an online tool for astronomical stuff. All you need to know is your latitude & longitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Went out at 10pm again. Nice! Sitting right between the front toes of Ursa Major. Made for a nice view.

Then the clouds pretty quickly moved in :(

Might be several days before i can get out to look again... weather.

Dec 10, 2005
Thought tonight was going to be a good night, given the clear skies all day, but there were all these clouds in the west this evening blocking views that way.

We did see a shooting star though, and I realized with my 8x42 binoculars and a steady hand, I could see a few of Jupiter's moons as little specs, despite the horrible light pollution living outside of Boston

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
First spot was a bust ,too many car lights. We drove up on a hill in a sparsely populated area, and found it. Looked good through the old binoculars.
After pinning down the location, I came home and found a gap in our trees where I could see it!
We are in ~120' firs all around, so anything on the horizon usually requires a trip.

Dec 10, 2005
Finally got to see it - it was pretty awesome. We're out in Western Mass for a few days and I went to the hairpin turn near a peak along MA-2. Kind of faint with binoculars and the periodic car killing night sight, but pretty clear with some 8x42 binoculars.

Reactions: Spacehead

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Faint tonight. Too much haze & thin clouds. Still naked eye but i just doesn't have the "pop" as before.

Sitting almost halfway between the front & back feet of Ursa Major. Now listed as Mag 3.3

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Every single day there have been afternoon and evening thunderstorms, all to the NW of me. Still hoping for at least one look.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
thinking about driving 90 minutes to the nearest dark area later this week. haven't been able to spot it from near DT houston.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
thinking about driving 90 minutes to the nearest dark area later this week. haven't been able to spot it from near DT houston.

Tried that on Monday but between clouds and light pollution it took long enough to find a spot that it was too low on the horizon to see.

Last night turned out the clouds cooperated while it was still high enough up to get a shot over the houses.

It was borderline naked eye visible. Really needed binoculars or the camera to see it.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Tried to see it once but saw nothing. I was not disappointed because I knew it was impossible to see from the city. I've seen plenty of pictures of it but they are always from mountain tops. And even then, they say it is nearly impossible to see with the naked eye.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Tried that on Monday but between clouds and light pollution it took long enough to find a spot that it was too low on the horizon to see.

Last night turned out the clouds cooperated while it was still high enough up to get a shot over the houses.

It was borderline naked eye visible. Really needed binoculars or the camera to see it.
leaving early enough to get somewhere by 8:45 shouldn't be a problem. looking at the roads in the nearest bit of dark sky, there's several stretches with no trees alongside.