Permissions issue moving files from external HDD

mparker40155

Mar 9, 2018
So my old laptop monitor stopped working. The hard drive still functions fine. I attached a SATA to USB adaptor from the old drive to my new laptop. At first it connected fine and the drive was displayed as E: (system as D: etc.). However when I attempted to access my profile folder (where all my files are) on the old drive, I was asked for permission. I clicked continue and for a few minutes the new laptop was reading the old drive's folder. Suddenly it denied permission. After that, the old drive would no longer appear in my computer. It only appears for approx. 10 seconds when I connect the old drive to USB (even during this short time it won't allow me to get into to properties and change security settings for the folders).

Any assistance on getting around this issue i.e. how to make the old drive visible again and change the security settings to allow permission, would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

mparker40155

Mar 9, 2018
Ok so I tried a different computer and can now see the drive. However access is denied when I try to access files in the old HDD. I managed to get around this somewhat by 'sharing' and can view the files within folders but it still denies access when I try to move any files from the old to new HDDs. Have tried amending security options but wouldn't allow me to take ownership or mark myself (new computer) as 'owner'. Have even tried command prompt and icacls etc. but no luck there...

Aug 25, 2001
Windows' NTFS file permissions are a real rat's nest, when all you want to do is access / back up personal files, not run programs.

Serious, use a Linux LiveUSB distro, like Linux Mint, on a USB flash drive. Have a second USB external HDD connected (if you have enough USB ports, if you only have one available, use a powered hub).

Linux will let you access your files (if the drive itself isn't damaged, which I fear it may be), and it ignores NTFS permissions. Just copy your files to the external portable HDD, and then ditch the old system / wipe or destroy the old HDD.

Jun 30, 2004
Windows' NTFS file permissions are a real rat's nest, when all you want to do is access / back up personal files, not run programs.

Serious, use a Linux LiveUSB distro, like Linux Mint, on a USB flash drive. Have a second USB external HDD connected (if you have enough USB ports, if you only have one available, use a powered hub).

Linux will let you access your files (if the drive itself isn't damaged, which I fear it may be), and it ignores NTFS permissions. Just copy your files to the external portable HDD, and then ditch the old system / wipe or destroy the old HDD.
Why couldn't he access the drive's security permissions by taking ownership, and then assigning them to a higher level? this is a vague thought, but I inclined to throw it in here.