Permanent 3 or 5v supply on PC

mogmog2

May 4, 2013
Hi, slightly odd question perhaps:
My PC case is black with a smooth, flush black power button & lives right under my desk - it is awkward to find the on switch, even after all the years I've had this particular case and it has now had a new lease of life with new motherboard etc so I've got it for a few more years.

I wondered about mounting a small LED into the switch button, but this would need to be on even when the PC wasn't, so I could locate the switch.

Is there anywhere that I could take off a permanently live feed and drop the voltage for an LED?
Motherboard is an Intel DP67BG if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

bryanl

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2006
If you leave the power strip or backup turned on all the time, you can tap power from the +5V standby supply (purple wire) and any ground (black wire, direct connection to chassis). Put a 100-300 ohm resistor in series with the +5V to limit current to the LED.

If that isn't feasible, consider a white sticker or piece of aluminum foil tape on the button.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If that isn't feasible, consider a white sticker or piece of aluminum foil tape on the button.

That was my first thought. :p

They make these in various colors and diameters. Probably find generic ones too, at your local dollar store.

Avery-5474-Print-or-Write-Round-Color-Coding-Label.jpg

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
You can use the +5VSB bus. As long as it's plugged in (and the supply isn't weird and stuff), it'll always be powered.

mogmog2

May 4, 2013
If you leave the power strip or backup turned on all the time, you can tap power from the +5V standby supply (purple wire) and any ground (black wire, direct connection to chassis). Put a 100-300 ohm resistor in series with the +5V to limit current to the LED.

Bryan, Thanks, Not entirely sure what you mean by "backup" (UPS? not got one) but the PC stays plugged in to a permanently on mains socket. I'll have a look for a purple wire. The motherboard has a permanently illuminated onboard on switch, so there is power in there somewhere.

Much as I hate to have anything on permanently, my conscience can live with the smallest led I can find. ZAP, I have tried a dayglo sticker but it didn't help - needs some light to "glo" from (it really is quite dark as it's sideways under the fill-in piece of built in "L" shaped desks so the front is @ 90 degrees to me.)

It just occurred to me that, with an led protruding slightly through a hole drilled in the switch, I could just not wire it up & use it as a tactile bump or glue a piece of something to the switch...

Ta.