perishable dvd's

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
/. posted this article that i thought was interesting, and brought up the point that something like this could lead to DVD rentals that you don't have to return. although the thought of millions of DVD's going in the trash every day isn't too appealing. new york times link

it's the new york times, so you need a user/pass. but don't worry, it only took me three tries to guess a combination that worked, so i'm sure my fellow at'ers won't have trouble either. ;)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
iew divx? not again:( damned pay for play bullsh*t. they are making tons of money as is with current dvd, why piss people off:p

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
They tried this idea, it failed miserably. it was called "divx".

Except this is "environmentally unfriendly DivX".

The continuing push towards rental of intellectual property as a means of insuring continuous revenue streams is ridiculous, and repeatedly demonstrated by the consumer masses as unpopular and unsupportable.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: notfred
They tried this idea, it failed miserably. it was called "divx".

Except this is "environmentally unfriendly DivX".

The continuing push towards rental of intellectual property as a means of insuring continuous revenue streams is ridiculous, and repeatedly demonstrated by the consumer masses as unpopular and unsupportable.
DivX itself was environmentally unfriendly. Unless you kept the DVDs for coasters or something after the 48hr viewing period was over.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Boo.

It's not going to happen. With new release DVDs already available for only $15-22, there's really no market for such a cheap (defective, IMO) product.

CJZ

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
Perishable DVD's. Free AOL CD's.

Don't the people who come up with this crap ever think about the environmental effects?

bsd

Banned
Oct 31, 2002
hmm good idea, britney, britney worked for me, thats a cool way of getting in to sites!