Question Performance V cost/GB between 2x budget NVME in RAID0 vs 1x high-end NVME - simulated/real benchmark numbers?

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
*Title says it all
Tried googling some numbers but didn't really find anything solid.
It's almost like everyone just forgot about RAID.

With today's state of HW/SW/OS RAID, how are the following compared?
1. 2TB high-end NVME VS 2x1TB (RAID0) budget NVME --- cost about the same, if not less
2. 2TB high-end NVME VS 2x1TB (RAID0) high-end NVME --- should be faster and costs more, but how much faster?
3. PCIe 4.0 NVME VS the above

The goal here is not to achieve redundancy of boot+game drive, but either to have 2TB storage in 1+1 RAID0 that's either faster or cheaper than a single 2TB storage.
Cost of equipment that enable 2x NVME slots (if not supported by mobo), should be added to the comparison data.

Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers

PS: If I still had my disposable income, I'd probably run the tests myself.

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
I don't think more bandwidth would make a noticeable difference, coming from PCIe 3.0. But yeah, two PCIe 3.0 SSDs in RAID0 should give you about the same bandwidth as a PCIe 4.0 SSD, while being significantly cheaper. But only if both SSDs are really connected to PCIe 3.0/4.0 x4 connections, so you'd need an x570 motherboard when going with AMD's AM4 platform. And chipset PCIe lanes share a common connection, which can also limit your bandwidth.
To install Windows on RAID 0 a solution like AMD-RAID or Intel RST RAID would be a possible solution, but you might need to manually load drivers so the Windows installer can support the RAID volume provided by your motherboard.
I wonder if it's also possible to install Windows on a striped dynamic disk volume, probably not.
Hardware RAID solutions for Nvme drives exist, but they would cost you a couple hundred dollars, and you'd also need to get U.2 to M.2 adapters.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
*Title says it all
Tried googling some numbers but didn't really find anything solid.
It's almost like everyone just forgot about RAID.

With today's state of HW/SW/OS RAID, how are the following compared?
1. 2TB high-end NVME VS 2x1TB (RAID0) budget NVME --- cost about the same, if not less
2. 2TB high-end NVME VS 2x1TB (RAID0) high-end NVME --- should be faster and costs more, but how much faster?
3. PCIe 4.0 NVME VS the above

The goal here is not to achieve redundancy of boot+game drive, but either to have 2TB storage in 1+1 RAID0 that's either faster or cheaper than a single 2TB storage.
Cost of equipment that enable 2x NVME slots (if not supported by mobo), should be added to the comparison data.

Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers

PS: If I still had my disposable income, I'd probably run the tests myself.
it will be faster but not cheaper, a single reliable 2tb nvme is going to be better for two reasons (or 3), expansion is easier, cost is less, and reliability will be twice as good. i have been in the same boat eyeing 2tb nvme drives. instead i just purchased a second 970 evo plus 1tb for my desktop (forget how much 120?) and i have two 1tb 970 evo plus in raid0 on a laptop (only because it came that way) with a 1tb pcie sata for extra storage and it is Very fast and fun to use but i don't really notice much difference except for not having to install to different locations.

if its just for games and boot drive i wouldnt worry about speed.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
On the flip side, I really don't see a difference with RAID0 PCIE 4 NVMes on my 3970X system compared to the 970 Evo Plus on my 9900K and 10700K builds.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Thanks for the feedbacks

I'm leaning to go with a single drive, after some rough calculations.
I've a 1TB 970 Evo Plus, but even with that, the added cost from the mobo offset things quite far - personally, I'd rather spend the $ on storage, not on mobo
Cost V Performance ratio has changed significantly compared to my last build, raid0 now feels like indulgence/luxury :)