performance of LTE hotspot mifi versus tablet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 1question3parts, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 1question3parts

1question3parts Junior Member

Hello all--would the technically sophisticated EE type please share their perspective on whether a dedicated "mifi" like hotspot offers better wifi performance compared to an ipad(LTE) with hotspot capability--I am considering moving to the tablet based but wanted to get a sense if the hotspot performance is significantly different and would limit laptop usage on the road. thanks

2. mammador

mammador Platinum Member

Performance depends on needs, really**

If you stream a lot, then there may not be that much difference between the two**

3. 1question3parts

thanks i would mainly use it for web access for email and other logon sites for cloud access ; I imagine I would stream small videos but not sitting in the hotel watching a movie--really trying to understand if what is in the ipad LTE hotspot can match up technically with a dedicated mifi

4. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

I never tested it but my Guess would be that you are better Off with MIFI since it is a dedicated tool for this Job. A Tablet that engages at the same time in other activities and run other processes might not perform as well as a LTE MIFI.

However, if the need involves only simple text activities (email and light surfing) it probably would not make any difference.

If LTE dongles for Laptop are already available, I would get one for the Laptop, then use the laptop's native Wireless to act as a Hot spot for the Tablet using this free software.

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

:cool:

5. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

I have always been of the opinion that (assuming you have a cellphone) mifi / personal hotspots / tablets with data is the phones companies way of getting free money from the people that can't configure their cell phone to do it for them. Replace the cell phone with another device that can do the same thing.

Get one service and set it up to share to other devices. Don't fall in the latest ATT rip off and do "mobile sharing plan" which only makes sense if you share with more than one person. The commercial even says the "guy" has a mobile hot spot, tablet and cell phone and can add devices for $10 each! Except if you set up wireless hot spot on the cell phone you could throw the mobile access point out the window and connect the table to the phone and save $20 a month.

Anyway point being, get service on device (the MIFI might be better since it is dedicated to that task) and just bond the tablet to it.

6. 1question3parts

thanks all points well taken--just wondering about the actual hotspot technical specs of LTE tablet or phone versus mifi--one would think a dedicated unit would be better just wanted to know if the numbers support this assumption

7. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

From my experience supporting them in the business world, the mifi units vary as much as cell phones do. Mileage will vary basically. An unlocked Android often has more CPU power and can handle more users but is a bit less "user friendly." Otherwise speeds generally seemed the same.