Performance differences between cheap (H110M) and expensive motherboard/chipset?

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
Hi all

I want to build a system with an I7-6700K (which is a requirement). Is there any reason performance-wise to go with a much more expensive motherboard (like $140-$150)?

would be nice to get a recommendation with an explaination

Many thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You don't have to spend $200 on a motherboard for it to be a great board, and be able to overclock. However, if you are going to overclock your 6700k, you need a board with the z170 chipset.

Many times the 'budget' z170 motherboards overclock just as well as the 'premium' line.

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
You don't have to spend $200 on a motherboard for it to be a great board, and be able to overclock. However, if you are going to overclock your 6700k, you need a board with the z170 chipset.

Many times the 'budget' z170 motherboards overclock just as well as the 'premium' line.

Thanks
Performance-wise, is there any difference? If I let go of OC, you say it doesn't matter really?

Any specific recommendations for quality motherboard?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks
Performance-wise, is there any difference? If I let go of OC, you say it doesn't matter really?

Any specific recommendations for quality motherboard?

Everyone here has a favorite motherboard brand that they swear by. I myself, like Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock boards. I'm not a big fan of MSI, but that's just a personal preference.

If you don't want to overclock at all, a very popular board on here I see recommended all the time is the Asus H170 Pro Gamer for about $120 AR at Newegg. If you want to overclock, a good solid entry-level board would be the Asus Z170-E which goes for $116 AR at Newegg.

If you go up a little bit, some boards worth looking at are: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 and GA-Z170X-UD3.

The key after you select a motherboard is to buy RAM that is compatible with the motherboard. You can look under the support section of the motherboard manufacturer's website (QVL) or go to the memory manufacturers website and use their memory 'finder' tool.