Performance difference between a 1.4 and 1.6 ghz

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by ceo2b, Apr 26, 2003.

1. ceo2b

ceo2b Member

Besides the price, is the performance that much greater in a 1.6 than a 1.4 ghz? Going to the lower level would save me about 400 bucks, but at the same token I'm not willing to lose such great performance that a few months or year down the line I feel like I cheated myself out. As far as my use, it'll be a secondary computer used for internet, web design (macromedia mx suite, adobe web collection), college work and soon in the workforce. The only games I play are on yahoo, so that can clarify the gaming question.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Performance difference Forum Date
    Performance comparison Gtx 1060 6GB vs 1070 8GB help SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Saturday at 9:30 PM
    My performance review of the GIGABYTE GB-BXA8-5557 SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 19, 2016
    How much of a performance difference between 28 and 45+ TWP? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Dec 31, 2013
    Looking at used Dell 9400....Performance difference between 1.66 single core and 1.66 duo? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Mar 15, 2006
    Gaming performance difference SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Oct 18, 2004

3. Derango

Derango Diamond Member

You won't notice any real difference between the 1.4 and the 1.6, (the pentium-m I assume) espically if you're just doing what you said you were :)

I'd just go with the 1.4 and save the $400

4. ceo2b

ceo2b Member

After thinking, I agree with you. That would bring the price of the Tecra I want to 2355. I do have the comfort of knowing I can at least increasing the RAM in the future. The 1.4 should serve me fine or it better LOL. Btw I was referring to the pen-M.

5. Sonarcade

Sonarcade Member

I was considering the same thing except I'd be using it for audio production. Any pointers regarding this?

6. mrzed

mrzed Senior member

Well, with audio, it's all about what you are doing with it. MIDI and real time recording of up to 8 tracks should be fine with modern laptop. Best to get a 5400 RPM drive (often listed as a performance drive), if you are trying to use WAV files a lot. What really eats up CPU power is real time DSP, especially things like reverb or quality compressors.

BTW, best to post a question like this in a seperate thread. It really doesn't have much to do with the original post.

Or post on the forums at a place like prorec.com for detailed advice.