Perfect score: 18 ace math SAT at 1 school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Doesn't the SAT get easier every few years or so? I think they're even getting rid of the analogies!

Either that or people are getting better at taking it. I have a hard time believing education is improving, so there shouldn't be a reason that more and more people are making high SAT scores.

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Is this really that rare? I suppose it is, but I'm sure that there are a decent number of high schools with fantastic SAT scores. My high school must have had at least 15-20 1500+ SAT scores for my year.

Yeah, but how many of those had a perfect sub-test?

Plenty had it on the Math section, but maybe it wasn't as high as this school.
18 is still very impressive.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
linkage

AHWATUKEE FOOTHILLS - Four years ago, math teacher Larry Strom told then-freshman Cristina White that she would ace the math portion of her SATs.

White never forgot her teacher's words and, sure enough, the Desert Vista High School senior recently nailed a perfect math score on the test.

"I wasn't surprised at all," White said of her flawless test score. "Strom told me I would get an 800 in math and he told my mom that, too."

White is one of 18 students at Desert Vista to recently score perfect 800s on the math portion of the SAT. Although the school has churned out math whiz kids in years past, never have so many aced the college entrance exams in one year, said Strom, chairman of the Desert Vista math department.

"We've always had a high number but never anything like this," he said. "It's grown exponentially."

Time to find out what this school is doing right.
I bet the students parents actively participated in their childrens education.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Hell, it took that stupid Kaplan course, and alot of studying for me to get a 720 on the math SAT. Although that was 10 years ago, now id be lucky to get a 500.

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
what's the big deal, it's just the SAT math, simple algebra and geometry, 10th grade stuff, I scored 770 on it without effort, pfft...

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
they are probably doing like what they do here in texas now: the students cram old iowa tests and study the practice books and Iowa workbooks again and again. Sure, when the actual tests roll around, they do great, but what about giving these students completely different tests that require them to think in different ways and associate various concepts differently? or, when they get out in the real world and start trying to solve real life problems, you think their perfect math score will really help them? doubt it. i would like to see these kids put up against other bright kids in a math quiz competition. see how they fare, then i'll say for sure if it was a success.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Kids who do well an the SAT math section cannot, in anybody's right mind, count as "math whiz kids". They are kids who scored well on the math section of the SAT, that's it. The point is that the "math" is not very difficult, and, as someone mentioned from personal experience, it's possible to do well on it at age 12, let alone 17/18. Whoopdeedoo. What's that school "doing right"? Probably test-prepping like crazy. I have to wonder how much real learning goes on. If these kids go on to be brilliant in their futures, then I'd love to eat my words.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
What was their English scores?

In my Public HS in NYC most of the kids were Asian and not native English speakers, so they did really well in Math and not so great in English.

zener

Aug 1, 2000
the movie you may be talking about was made about a LA school that was mostly Hispanic and they were thought to be "dumb" but a man who became their teacher was formally an engineer I believe and he pushed the students in his calc class to excel to the point that when they took the state test, they all passed and were thought by the board to have cheated and had to take the test again, thus just again proving they were indeed not "dumb" but very capable students. This same teacher stayed on and for several years later, his students ranked the highest in testing scores in LA County. But I be durned if I can remember the movie's name. SORRY but it was a good movie.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: zener
the movie you may be talking about was made about a LA school that was mostly Hispanic and they were thought to be "dumb" but a man who became their teacher was formally an engineer I believe and he pushed the students in his calc class to excel to the point that when they took the state test, they all passed and were thought by the board to have cheated and had to take the test again, thus just again proving they were indeed not "dumb" but very capable students. This same teacher stayed on and for several years later, his students ranked the highest in testing scores in LA County. But I be durned if I can remember the movie's name. SORRY but it was a good movie.

I don't remember what it was called, but I know it was with Edward James Olmos. I also know you need to work on breaking up your sentences.