perfect example of why 128kbps AAC for iTunes Store is not enough...

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
...IF you were willing to spent a buck to hear it for yourself, go buy and download Simple Plan - Perfect from the iTunes Music Store. It's so damn "warbly" on the guitar and cymble crashes it gives me a headache.

IIRC, AAC is inherently VBR/ABR, which is probably why the Winamp iTunes AAC plugin shows it coming up as 133kbps.

In any case, I imagine that it's probably not any better with other media stores. Anyone know of any media stores that offer higher bitrates? Though it's a moot point because I'd rather just go and buy a CD from BB. I got an iTunes Store gift certificate for Xmas which is why I downloaded this one song in the first place...guess I'll need to listen to the previews more carefully to pick out songs that won't be so warbly.

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
I don't know what the deal is with the AAC 128 format... some of the songs I've downloaded (out of about 10) sound great, and I've got a few that sound like 112K MP3's. It's a shame, the distribution method is just about perfect.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I could have told you that.

In a blind test with good headphones (Grado SR-60) I can tell the difference between WAV, 320 VBR MP3, and 320 VBR AAC/MP4.

128K anything is a joke.

Viper GTS

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: VTEC01EX
I don't know what the deal is with the AAC 128 format... some of the songs I've downloaded (out of about 10) sound great, and I've got a few that sound like 112K MP3's. It's a shame, the distribution method is just about perfect.

I can't imagine wm9 being any better, but it is a shame that while 9/10 songs will sound just fine, there's those few that dont.
Simple Plan - Perfect and Outkast - Hey Ya! (I heard this one on a friend's pewter) come to my mind.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
I could have told you that.

In a blind test with good headphones (Grado SR-60) I can tell the difference between WAV, 320 VBR MP3, and 320 VBR AAC/MP4.

128K anything is a joke.

Viper GTS

I start to blur the "line" around 224kbps myself. 128kbps just sounds like utter ass. Unfortunately I don't have the space to rip lossless, so I use 320 VBR MP3.

- M4H

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I'm not paying a comparable price for songs online until they are lossless.

I can't see the benefit in paying $9.99 for sound files of lesser quality that I have to jump through hoops for when I can buy the CD for not much more and do just about anything I want with it.