People's evidence #1. Right wing war on trans people is based on lies and misinformation.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It just doesn't apply to trans people but this such a blatant classic example it deserves a thread. How do they do it?

1. Invent a boogeyman or use a current boogeyman
2. Create a story which fits the narrative of hate against the boogeyman
3. Contact a low level member of right media or publication with an outrageous accusation
4. If they get a reaction pass the story to higher level right wing media. Goal, make it to Fox News
5. Fox News goes on the air with the lie...uugh... I mean story without any verification or serious cross examination
6. The ultimate is to get a reaction from Republican politicians so they can repeat it. The small brush fire becomes a raging wildfire.

I saw a blurb a week ago a teenage girl is so upset because a local YMCA with a trans policy for locker room access resulted her in seeing a naked man's penis in the womans locker room.
Turns out she was lying. Her story was complete bullshit yet is stirred up such outrage a protest was staged outside that YMCA with disparate trans groups screaming at each other.

I don't know how Republicans continue to be able to successfully promote lies and conspiracy theories? I can make a long list of complete bullshit from memory.

Here is their latest attempt which fortunately was exposed.
How a 17-Year-Old’s Locker Room Freakout Became an Anti-Trans Crusade (yahoo.com)

PS - Here is another attempt at trying to promote some bullshit. Either they want a reaction from DeSantis who has shown an affinity to attack business who don't acquiesce to his politics or someone from the DeSantis camp is trying to pick a fight. I don't believe this claim at all. Anyone think a store is listing in to conversations of a small group and kicking them out of their establishment because of their politics? They will try to get traction from this.
Fox News Analyst Calls on DeSantis to ‘Look Closely’ at Miami Bookstore that He Says Kicked Him Out for His Conservative Politics (msn.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking and KMFJD

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I don't know how Republicans continue to be able to successfully promote lies and conspiracy theories?

You do not know, what exactly?
That humans are NOT driven by facts, logic, or reason?
We, all of us, are tribal religious zealots.

It just so happens that notions to guard against lies and conspiracy belong to some of our tribes. The search for truth, for science, logic and reason... these are foundational ideas for our civilization, for some of our nations as they exist today. It was an evolutionary advantage, to some extent. But these values are not universal and they must be upheld through education, through indoctrination into our tribe. Otherwise, whenever a fracture in identity occurs, those values are the first things to be lost. The mask is pulled back and the true face of humanity reveals itself. Be it Russia, North Korea, Afghanistan or Iran. Fundamentalism, totalitarianism. The extermination of the "other" becomes our highest priority.

Faith, and fantastical beliefs in service of that goal, take root.
Just observe human history and or current events.
"How" becomes hilariously easy to answer. These things, we have always done.

We were but spared their effects for a time. Having taken shelter among a large tribe, whose bond was forged anew in WW2. In our common trust we trained our kids to beware straying too far from the tribe. Yet stray they always would. Communication changed, and no longer was there a filter on information. Diverging beliefs grew stronger until we no longer identified with one another. We always had differences, but not like this. Not to say that this behavior is new, Americans just did not experience it first hand during the 20th century. Well this is a new century, a new age, and we are deeply divided suffering alternative sources of information with partisan narratives on how to perceive context. We arrive at fundamentally different results. Our one tribe became no less than two.

And that was before the internet. Before social media poured fuel onto the fire that is human insanity.
Fundamentally, your truth IS NOT my truth. Unless there is some shared identity. Some trust. Absent that, we have nothing. We are just tribal monkeys pointing spears at one another.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
"Instead, she tearfully recounted how a local YMCA had followed state law and company policy by allowing a transgender woman to use the same locker room that she did. She had no contact with the woman and claimed only to have seen her, but the experience left her “terrified,” she said."

We've heard this story before, let me paraphrase...

"Instead, she tearfully recounted how a local YMCA had followed state law and company policy by allowing a black woman to use the same locker room that she did. She had no contact with the woman and claimed only to have seen her, but the experience left her “terrified,” she said."

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
"Instead, she tearfully recounted how a local YMCA had followed state law and company policy by allowing a transgender woman to use the same locker room that she did. She had no contact with the woman and claimed only to have seen her, but the experience left her “terrified,” she said."

We've heard this story before, let me paraphrase...

"Instead, she tearfully recounted how a local YMCA had followed state law and company policy by allowing a black woman to use the same locker room that she did. She had no contact with the woman and claimed only to have seen her, but the experience left her “terrified,” she said."
Fear is the brain killer.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Disgusting Republicans have found a loophole around HIPPA to attack trans people. "Oh, we are investigating a crime so you have to turn over the medical records of your trans patients"

• Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Disgusting Republicans have found a loophole around HIPPA to attack trans people. "Oh, we are investigating a crime so you have to turn over the medical records of your trans patients"
They didn't find a loophole, they used a legal and well established proceeding to gather information in a fraud investigation.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They didn't find a loophole, they used a legal and well established proceeding to gather information in a fraud investigation.
And the standards for opening a fraud investigation are? Think it is a coincidence in a state where treatments for trans people is about to be outlawed, it's trans where the fraud is occurring?

I bet if you look at the records of ANY hospital you could find a discrepancy as an excuse to open a fraud investigation.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Of course the piece of trash that is green man defends this crap.

What a nasty human being

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It just doesn't apply to trans people but this such a blatant classic example it deserves a thread. How do they do it?

1. Invent a boogeyman or use a current boogeyman
2. Create a story which fits the narrative of hate against the boogeyman
3. Contact a low level member of right media or publication with an outrageous accusation
4. If they get a reaction pass the story to higher level right wing media. Goal, make it to Fox News
5. Fox News goes on the air with

Here is their latest attempt which fortunately was exposed.
How a 17-Year-Old’s Locker Room Freakout Became an Anti-Trans Crusade (yahoo.com)

PS - Here is another attempt at trying to promote some bullshit. Either they want a reaction from DeSantis who has shown an affinity to attack business who don't acquiesce to his politics or someone from the DeSantis camp is trying to pick a fight. I don't believe this claim at all. Anyone think a store is listing in to conversations of a small group and kicking them out of their establishment because of their politics? They will try to get traction from this.
Fox News Analyst Calls on DeSantis to ‘Look Closely’ at Miami Bookstore that He Says Kicked Him Out for His Conservative Politics (msn.com)
The danger to all of us lies in the top comment of the yahoo article, where the commenter complains that his rights are being infringed upon because they don't include the right to take away others' rights to simply exist and live their lives in ways he disagrees with.
Where are his rights? he says. And where is the compromise? he asks, without a trace of irony or self-awareness. And hundreds give it a thumbs up.
These people won't stop at denying trans people their basic rights to just be. They are coming for all of us. In the name of freedom. Their freedom.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The GOP has been successfully policies like this at least since 1988 with Willie Horton (the theme then was black criminals/Dems soft on crime). Only the theme of the scare changes from election to election. It has worked enormously effectively for them-a large number of voters are motivated more by what they are scared of than what benefits their interests, apparently.

You don't really expect them to abandon a winning strategy, do you?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
An independent scientific study came to the obvious conclusion that larger vehicles are more dangerous to pedestrians and other (presumably smaller) vehicles, and Fox spun that into a fearmongering hit piece that the boogeyman left is coming for your truck? WTF

Seems like another example of the right's war on free speech. It goes further than speech, though, it's that they object to any attempt to find out things about the world, if the facts that emerge could threaten their ideology. As here with anyone studying the downsides of the shift to heavier vehicles. Nobody is to be permitted to know about that.

Much like the way the CDC is banned from studying gun violence and its effect on public health. Or the bonkers war on (so-called) "critical race theory" (by which they mean "accurate analysis of US history").

The right have long been waging a war on reality and facts. For them, facts must be suppressed at all costs.

Reactions: nakedfrog

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
People's evidence #1. Right wing war on (________________)* is based on lies and misinformation.

homosexuals​
black​
brown​
non-white​
non christian​
vaccines​
honesty​
integrity​
women​
science/scientists​
intelligence​
poor​
etc.​
etc.​
etc...​

Reactions: Amused

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
Huh, while these politicians are out doing stupid stuff, I just diagnosed another kid with gender dysphoria with an intersex condition. I'm at 4/4 in the past 3 months. 2 Kallmann's, 1 Swyer and 1 CAIS. 3 of the 4 are XY females.

But ya know, that gender affirming care is just there to harm people...../s

I've been warned about 20 did the gene testing. I'm gonna be busy......