People who feed live animals to their pet frogs, snakes etc..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Dumac
The mice fed to the snakes I used to have would try to fight back, unsuccesfully. Sometimes I would watch my snake eat the mice, but I wouldn't cheer, be excited, or feel joyous about it. What really made me sad was feeding pinkies, or baby mice, to my snake when he was little, since they would squeal loudly; it was very depressing. After too many incidences of pinkie squealing I had to buy frozen pinkies ><.

I have had snakes for years. Feeding a snake a live mouse/rat is deadly for the snake. the food can bite and atack teh snake. wich can kill (rare) or damage it and cause a infection.

I feed my snakes live only when i can't get forzen. I would order from http://miceonice.com/homepage.html or go to a reptile swap and buy them.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
Yes, that's a petstore bird. It's a finch.
Finches are cheap and multiply rapidly. Why you'd feed one to a frog is beyond me. Just to be a bunch of childish dicks, I suppose.
Don't get me wrong, it'd be fun, but it's not good frog food.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Dumac
The mice fed to the snakes I used to have would try to fight back, unsuccesfully. Sometimes I would watch my snake eat the mice, but I wouldn't cheer, be excited, or feel joyous about it. What really made me sad was feeding pinkies, or baby mice, to my snake when he was little, since they would squeal loudly; it was very depressing. After too many incidences of pinkie squealing I had to buy frozen pinkies ><.

I have had snakes for years. Feeding a snake a live mouse/rat is deadly for the snake. the food can bite and atack teh snake. wich can kill (rare) or damage it and cause a infection.

I feed my snakes live only when i can't get forzen. I would order from http://miceonice.com/homepage.html or go to a reptile swap and buy them.

Most snakes can handle live just fine. You really just have to be careful not to leave the mouse in the tank too long. If the snake isn't immediately interested, then you should probably take the mouse out.

I suppose there are some snakes that are used to eating frozen and so they probably shouldn't be fed live as they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I feed my Marine fish live brine shrimp...some (I would say most) animals kept in captivity need at least a supplemental diet of live foods. What the difference between feeding it food that is ground up in a plant/factory or feeding that same food in live form?

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
There are some pussy ass people in here. What's the difference between us slaughtering cattle to eat and us feeding our pets live animals? Oh wait, there is none.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Variety is the spice of life. Would you want to eat field mice for the rest of your life? Anyway, how is it any different than feeding your dog or cat some ground up lamb from a can?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Pastore
There are some pussy ass people in here. What's the difference between us slaughtering cattle to eat and us feeding our pets live animals? Oh wait, there is none.

Well, one difference is that we usually don't gather our friends to see the killing of the animal and then get into an excited masturbatory frenzy while filming it.

I once saw a video where a guy feed an 8-lb rabbit to his python. The thing that shocked me was the screams of the rabbit. I didn't know they could scream. It was a very human sounding scream. It was then muffled at the end as the snake's tail covered the mouth of the rabbit. It sounded very human-like and was very disturbing to me.

The typical comments I saw was:

"Lol, it sounded like my little sister's scream!"
"That was awesome!".

It's the death and suffering as entertainment that disturbs me. It disturbs me that there are people out there who enjoys this stuff.

And I agree completely with 0roo0roo. I don't understand why anyone would even want a pet that requires you to feed them live mammals. And is it really necessary to feed a frog/toad/spider live mice or birds? I would think those types of food would be kind of rare for them in the wild and their diet would consist mostly of insects and that this would be perfectly fine with them. Same with pirranas -- would they really eat a lot of mice in the wild? Or is it just to give their pet owners some type of sadistic pleasure in watching the mouse get ripped apart?

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
1) Immature people being immature about pets eating live food.
2) People feeding their pets live food.

Separate the two. Why are there only tastless people filming their pets eating live food (when you have people in the background making noise and stupid comments)? Because only tastless people do that. Don't condemn both based on one. That is illogical. And no, I have no standpoint on #2. Just pointing out the lack of logic in some of the replies here.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Deriving joy directly from the killing itself.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: StormRider

Well, one difference is that we usually don't gather our friends to see the killing of the animal and then get into an excited masturbatory frenzy while filming it.

I once saw a video where a guy feed an 8-lb rabbit to his python. The thing that shocked me was the screams of the rabbit. I didn't know they could scream. It was a very human sounding scream. It was then muffled at the end as the snake's tail covered the mouth of the rabbit. It sounded very human-like and was very disturbing to me.

The typical comments I saw was:

"Lol, it sounded like my little sister's scream!"
"That was awesome!".

It's the death and suffering as entertainment that disturbs me. It disturbs me that there are people out there who enjoys this stuff.

And I agree completely with 0roo0roo. I don't understand why anyone would even want a pet that requires you to feed them live mammals. And is it really necessary to feed a frog/toad/spider live mice or birds? I would think those types of food would be kind of rare for them in the wild and their diet would consist mostly of insects and that this would be perfectly fine with them. Same with pirranas -- would they really eat a lot of mice in the wild? Or is it just to give their pet owners some type of sadistic pleasure in watching the mouse get ripped apart?

So are you upset because you are seeing people act like jack@sses or upset because you are seeing the food chain? If a snake eating a mouse upsets you this much I suggest you never, ever try and figure out where all the meat you eat comes from.

Lethal

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Live animals to a pet frog? What animal could a frog possibly eat live?

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i have a ball python and she eats live mice...hell i even have a mice colony setup so i dont have to buy them everyweek...
OP: i think mice are very interesting to watch, and show traits of being smart, but they can be very stupid and are much crueler/nastier than their predators...one of my females had babie last week and i saw the male and other 2 fems eating live babies on more than one occation, and yes, they had plenty of their regular rat food, and no, this wasnt her first litter (for those who dont know its common for them to eat the entire first liiter)...they are also highly inbreed...this has to have an effect on mental ability and physical makeup, but i could care less...they are all food as far as i'm concerend...i agree with prev posters...there is no diff in feeding a snake a mouse than u eating a burger, just cuz u dont watch doesnt mean it didnt happen...it is no more/less humane...as far as the screams...they dont usually bother me...maybe i am too desensatized? i dunno, nothing about a mouse squeak makes me wana cry...

now...onto the laughing and comments and entertainment value of the feeding...my best guess is desensatation (spelling/grammar)...i usually watch my snake eat for multiple reasons: to make sure she doesnt get bit, make sure she doesnt get it stuck, make sure it gets down, and it is very interesting (to me at least)...sometimes i get a little bit of enterainment because of how fast it happens...i know its comming...then BAM...before u know what happens, the mouse is bitten and wrapped up...ill admit, ive even laughed at it when the mouse is jerking its legs because it is getting squeazed to death...am i sadistic? maybe...but i think it is just because some people dont make a relation between animal and human...if u were to see a human in the same circumstance...not many people would find an ounce of humor...and animal however, is much differnt, in the eyes of some/most at least...i think it also has something to do with what i call the insect effect....there are so ****** many...to see a few or hundres dies has no effect...step on an ant...boo fcking hoo...kill a mouse...wahhh...i personally see rabbits, guinne (sp) pigs, and cats the same way....however...many snakes could probnably eat a small dog...and if i saw this i would probably feel pretty bad...is this hypocritical? maybe, it depends on each person...some people LOVE dogs (me) , some people love/hate cats....some people love all animals (PETA) ...it all depends on your personal background as to how u will percieve the act...maybe it is the prehistoric man comming up in those people? the thrill of the hunt/kill...watching one species power over another...

some other reasons people may think it is cool/entertaining:
they dont see it often (at least IRL)
its interesting
maybe they were an ant bully as a child
everyone else is watching