People looking for jobs: BRUSH YOUR TEETH!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
actually, it shows the ignorance of the OP.

fact is, different cultures have DIFFERENT DIETS, leading to different odors coming from the mouths. not surprising that you don't find the odors of the mouth of someone from the same culture as yourself.

OMFG, that obviously never occurred to the OP.
OMFG! I HAD NO IDEA!

Of course I know that. However, that doesn't explain why the overwhelming majority of Asian and Indian students don't have this problem. I understand that many will change their eating habits because of what is available here, but you can't tell me that they don't smell the difference between the breaths of the people in their home countries versus the breath of people in America. That's impossible.

What I don't know is how much they realize this is an issue for some in this country, and that's part of the reason I started this thread. I KNOW they can tell a difference, but do most believe we don't really care or are they so accustomed to it they don't think it smells that different, etc. How difficult is it for those with different eating habits to combat the smell? Maybe they are trying and just not doing enough.

Again, these are questions that I'm looking for answers for on this forum where - when people like you get offended - I don't have to see you every day or interact with you on a regular basis. I can't ask this question to someone of that origin for fear of offending them when, in my mind, this isn't an unfair observation. You disagree, I accept that, so if you're not going to help, go crap in someone else's thread.

you didn't have any idea and you still don't.

now, you think you can dictate where others can or cannot post?

the worst smelling breath i've ever encountered in my life bar NONE was this black guy. we were in choir together and you could smell his breath from way across the room. it was the RANKEST smelling thing i'd ever encountered, EVAR.

EVAR.

but that's simply not true for most black people i know, their breaths don't equal his.

However, that doesn't explain why the overwhelming majority of Asian and Indian students don't have this problem.

so you post this in order to not be perceived a racist and yet if what you just posted above IS true in your experience, than the nonsense you posted in the title is wrong.
Especially international students

or at least misleading.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
The recruiters need to brush their teeth too.

At the last job fair on campus I talked to one with just rancid breath who would not stop talking to me. I seriously felt like I was going to puke.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Next time I go for a job interview, I won't brush my teeth. If I don't get hired, I can claim discrimination!

YES! Playing the race card with a full deck

g paw

Oct 13, 2006
What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that we all deal with social categories, aggregates, and groups, in fact these are the fundamental uniits of study in the social sciences including economics, sociology, anthropology, history, and political science. Collectivities share attributes and which attributes they share depends on how the collectivity is defined. Obviously, these observations can be used to belittle, discriminate, or gnerate prejudices against a group of people just as benficial drugs can be used to kill people. Whether or not an observation about a group is reacist, sexist, ot whatever ist depends in large part how the observation is used, its intent. A lot of "political correctness" comes out of some people's inability to deal with abstract ideas such as collectivities and for others the facts are just inconvenient. You cannot solve social problems by only dealing with individuals. THis post was started because Ilmater saw a problem that certain people seemed to have that affected the likelihood of getting a job and wanted to find a solution. This isn't reacist or any other ist. If he/she were racist, they would have just said this group has bad breath or whatever and I'm not going to consider hiring them.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005

However, without fail, I have at least 2 or 3 international students (usually of Indian or Asian descent) at EVERY career fair whose breath is so unbearable I don't recommend them for that reason alone. And no, I don't think that's unfair. If I were on their team, I wouldn't want to work with that individual.

amen brotha :thumbsup:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Note: I do have a question at the bottom, so please read on.

I've been helping with college recruiting on two different campuses on behalf of my company for 4 years now, and this never ceases to amaze me. In that time, I've met maybe one or two candidates that are, judging solely on my own perception, Caucasian, and have bad breath. Amazingly, most of these students are intelligent enough to brush their teeth, use mouthwash, or eat a breath mint before talking to a prospective employer.

However, without fail, I have at least 2 or 3 international students (usually of Indian or Asian descent) at EVERY career fair whose breath is so unbearable I don't recommend them for that reason alone. And no, I don't think that's unfair. If I were on their team, I wouldn't want to work with that individual.

I know this will be seen as insensitive by some, but this is an observation I've shared with those I recruit with, and all agree this isn't just my perception.

My question is, should I tell these students about this? I'm inherently afraid of lawsuits, and even my own HR reps don't recommend saying anything, but I feel bad for people that might not have any idea their breath reeks to those they're talking to. Suggestions?
Just being nervous can cause someone's stomach to be off and that can affect their breath.

Unless you can see plaque or red gums you can't really attribute the bad breath to gum disease, and think simply brushing is going to solve it.

I guess if you fear litigation you just need to forego telling them they smell.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

Hey genious, why don't you draw a conclusion about what I said that goes WAY beyond the context of the sentence.

To be clear, I was speaking about the laziness of the average, American college student. The word intelligent may have been a poor choice on my part, but you're the only one that actually thought I meant that people with bad breath = stupid/low IQ people. I meant that it is a good idea to think about these things (personal hygene-related issues) and that I'm surprised that they are thoughtful enough (outweighs their laziness) to make sure they're smelling good.

If nothing else, why don't you read the rest of the freaking thread where I state outright that I don't equate intelligence with breath quality. Wouldn't that make more sense in determining my feeling of stinky people than what you gleaned from a sentence?

I'm done arguing with you, you obviously have some issue with this discussion, but it doesn't change the observations of myself or those I attend career fairs with.

Way beyond the context of the sentence, huh? Communication on the internet is limited to text and as it stands what you expressed falls beyond stupidity. Why not repair your admitted poor articulation before commenting on other's intelligence. Perhaps its an issue you can address while you work your relegated job pushing brochures to kids at career fairs.

Pakman

Nov 30, 2000
It has been confirmed by all my asian friends that white people have stinky feet.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
It's mostly lack of dental hygeine. Non-European foreigners don't have dental insurance like us nor care too much to take care of their teeth.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
It's absolutely true. I went to UIC, the University of Indian and Chinese, or Illinois at Chicago, take your pick. Anyway, most of our TAs and graduate students were here on student visa's and they had the worst hygiene imaginable.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
It's mostly lack of dental hygeine. Non-European foreigners don't have dental insurance like us nor care too much to take care of their teeth.

Ok, but my dentist tells me i'm sparkly clean everytime I go. Why go? So why can't other people be sparkly clean too?

Maybe it's also cuz we have all these body soap products. Yes I love my axe body wash. I smell clean and nice when I exit the shower. i don't get why people can't just freaking shower. Damn you engineers who smell like sh!t and don't wash your hair... it's disgusting.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80

Basically what this whitey is saying is "Nonwhites don't have dental insurance like us nor care about their oral health." What kind of idiotic statement is that? I am a foreigner, am non white and I have great oral health. This kind of discrimination will never go away.

acole1

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2005
I learned very quickly that if you are taking an elevator in the engineering building, and want to survive to the 4th floor, don't ride with a Middle-Eastern person. You will suffocate!

Many of these people have no sense of basic hygiene, and at our school they are often called "The Stinkies."

Pass the deodorant!!!! :p