People gossiping to you at work about employee-related stuff...

jread

Jan 20, 2005
This girl at work is always gossiping about people at work (she's very disgruntled about a situation that has happened). I just kind of "yeah, uh huh" and don't really say anything. She vents and then she goes on. Well, earlier the supervisor was near and she didn't know it, and heard everything she said (it involved him). He then pulls me aside and starts asking me about it and I have to be honest (because I'm not sure what all he did and didn't hear).

This is B.S. I just want to do my job and not be involved in this crap. Have any of you been in this situation? How did you handle it?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
For some strange reason, I have become a 'bartender' on my job. People just feel the need to vent when I come around...

I just listen, and don't offer opinions...then forget whatever it was I heard. :)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
"I don't participate in or listen to rumors or gossip, please go somewhere else or I will report you to HR."

normally shuts them up quick.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
If you don't want to be involved, then tell your supervisor the truth and be done with it. Next time she starts the gossiping crap just walk away.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: jread
This girl at work is always gossiping about people at work (she's very disgruntled about a situation that has happened). I just kind of "yeah, uh huh" and don't really say anything. She vents and then she goes on. Well, earlier the supervisor was near and she didn't know it, and heard everything she said (it involved him). He then pulls me aside and starts asking me about it and I have to be honest (because I'm not sure what all he did and didn't hear).

This is B.S. I just want to do my job and not be involved in this crap. Have any of you been in this situation? How did you handle it?

How is posting about this coworker any different?

jread

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: jread

How is posting about this coworker any different?

It's different because I am just posting about the situation. It's not the same as knowing the names of people and knowing who they are.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
When the boss pulls you aside, you can either A.) Tell him everything she said or B.)Play dumb and tell the boss you were really tuning her out and didn't pay much attention to what she was saying.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Trippin315
I love office gossip. I dont know why, it is just fun to hear how stories start and then grow into elaborate plots.

I worked in a job-shop of about 45 employees for about a year. Me and another guy were the only two people working there that weren't related to someone, or a next door neighbor to someone. We were amazed at the speed at which gossip got around the place.

I told the guy to tell someone you were standing next to me at the urinals and you looked over and noticed that I must've had a 13 inch penis.

Not 10 minutes later I walked over by my bench, which was at the other end of the shop, and the journeyman I worked under, this English guy named Stanley, looked at me and said "I can't believe what I'm hearing about your Hampton!"

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Gossip is pretty bad where I work...what's worse is that Outlook makes it so that you can receive the same message about somebody more than once. People get so bored with their own lives that they have to talk about someone elses...