People from the SF Bay Area, what the hell happened to KSJO?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was driving yesterday, and turned on the radio, went through my presets, and KSJO is playing spanish music? I try it again today, same thing. I guess they pulled the plug on KSJO and changed it over to spanish language? I heard nothing about this, anyone have an idea what happened? That sucks, one of the few rock stations left now gone.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
that happened to the main oldies station in the fresno area. one day, it was spanish music. :thumbsdown:

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
i noticed that too!!! I thought my radio was broken or my preset messed up. No warning WTH??

PrincessGuard

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2001
Oldest S.J. rock station goes to Spanish format

KSJO-FM MOVE REFLECTS MARKET SHIFT

By Brad Kava

Mercury News

In a move that reflects the growing influence of the South Bay's Latino population, Clear Channel Communications on Thursday shut down San Jose's oldest rock station and began programming in Spanish.

KSJO-FM (92.3), a rock station for 36 years, switched over just after 7 p.m. to an oldies hit format called ``La Preciosa.'' The final complete English song played was Wall of Voodoo's ``Mexican Radio.''

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
mercury news link - you must be registered

In a move that reflects the growing influence of the South Bay's Latino population, Clear Channel Communications on Thursday shut down San Jose's oldest rock station and began programming in Spanish.

KSJO-FM (92.3), a rock station for 36 years, switched over just after 7 p.m. to an oldies hit format called ``La Preciosa.'' The final complete English song played was Wall of Voodoo's ``Mexican Radio.''

The new format, which features hits by artists such as Vicente Fernandez, Los Bukis and Juan Gabriel, and features morning host Alex Lucas, has gained a large following in Monterey and Salinas, and 14 other Clear Channel markets nationally.

Although long rumored, the change stunned fans of what is called ``active'' rock. They have no other station in the area to turn to for new rock music with a harder edge.

``That's a shocker to me,'' said Santa Clara guitarist Dave Meniketti, who grew up listening to the station and founded the band Y&T that became a staple on it. ``I know radio stations come and go, but I thought they would always be there.''

The change reflects the growing Latin market and the graying of the rock market, according to Clear Channel Communications Regional Vice President Ed Krampf. ``The fastest part of the market is Latin,'' he said. ``And rock is having trouble. Young white kids are listening to hip-hop, and the other young segment is Hispanic. . . . Sometimes you just have to move on.''

The decision also reflected the growing promise of the South Bay, where 38 percent of all radio listeners are Latino, Krampf said.

In San Jose, Clear Channel programs classic rock KUFX-FM (98.5), nicknamed KFOX, and has an alternative rock station, KCNL-FM (104.9), which plays new alternative.

The San Antonio-based company is the country's largest radio station owner, with 1,200 stations. It also owns San Francisco's urban music KYLD-FM and KMEL-FM; adult contemporary music station KIOI-FM; urban hits, KISQ-FM; smooth jazz, KKSF-FM; conservative talk, KNEW-FM. It came under fire from big band fans when it switched KABL-AM at 960 to liberal talk KQKE-AM.

Left out now are the harder rock of bands such as Metallica and AC/DC, which were staples of KSJO. The station was known in its prime for breaking acts such as Tom Petty, the Police and AC/DC.

KSJO's ratings had been terrible in the last ratings period. The ratings, released last week, showed the station ranked 24th in San Jose for listeners over 12, collecting about 1 percent of the area's 1.5 million listeners.

Not coincidentally, in those same rankings, a Spanish-language station was for the first time tops in the South Bay. KSOL-FM, which broadcasts at 98.9 and 99.1, was first with roughly 7 percent of listeners over 12, beating out longtime leader KGO-AM in San Jose. KGO news talk has been on top in the Bay Area's ratings for 25 years, and almost always takes the top spot in San Jose.

KSJO began as a rocker in San Jose in 1968. It had started in 1947 as the only station in the county with an all-female staff; thus the female symbol on its stickers that remained for years after.

For years, KSJO was in the city's Top Ten before losing its morning hosts ``Lamont and Tonelli'' to San Francisco competitor KSAN-FM (107.7) two years ago. For much of this past year, the Clear Channel station picked up the syndicated ``Bob and Tom'' show from Indianapolis, a cost-cutting move that was never welcomed by local listeners.

(Most radio listening is done by commuters in cars, and the morning drive is the most important part of the day. Listeners usually set their dial and leave it there for the day.)

``Active rock works in plenty of markets,'' said Ken Anthony, a former KSJO employee who is the rock editor for the radio trade journal Radio and Records. ``It's a very viable format, and the Bay Area is a hotbed for mainstream rock acts like Metallica and Montrose. But it depends on how it's being handled, on the morning show, competition in the market and ownership support.''

Some San Jose broadcasters see the loss of another English signal as another black eye for a market that struggles for recognition and advertising dollars with its smaller neighbor to the north.

``San Francisco gets to count San Jose's population in its ratings, so it's fourth in the country,'' said Paul ``Lobster'' Wells, the former KSJO program director, who does a syndicated specialty show heard on KUFX-FM Sundays at 9 p.m. ``But San Jose can't count San Francisco, so it's 32nd.''

In the weeks to come, another English-language radio station, KBAA-FM (93.3), which simulcasts the programing of San Jose's KBAY, will begin broadcasting in Spanish pending government approval.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
:(
rose.gif
for KSJO

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
thats what happens when your city gets taken hostage by illigal aliens. but oh well.

noone will do anything about this issue. shame on us people.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ridiculous. Basically, clear channel came in, ran the station into the ground. They replaced the Mikey Show with that stupid Bob and Tom, which wasn't local like Mikey. Then kept sinking the ship even further. Finally after they had ran the station into the ground enough, they took the easy money-making road, and went spanish. I swear, like 50% of the stations broadcasting out of San Jose are now Spanish.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Clear Channel can fsck themselves. At least Live 105 isn't owned by them, they won't be switching to Spanish anytime soon.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I dial it in and tune the station
They talk about the U.S. inflation
I understand just a little
No comprende, it's a riddle

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
well that explains the oldies channel in fresno. 92.9 is owned by clear channel. PISS OFF CLEAR CHANNEL :thumbsdown::|

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
Ridiculous. Basically, clear channel came in, ran the station into the ground. They replaced the Mikey Show with that stupid Bob and Tom, which wasn't local like Mikey. Then kept sinking the ship even further. Finally after they had ran the station into the ground enough, they took the easy money-making road, and went spanish. I swear, like 50% of the stations broadcasting out of San Jose are now Spanish.
Seriously. Just because there are so many illegals here doesn't mean they all listen to Spanish music.

thejackal1

Mar 28, 2002
I was just wondering why, I was listening to this Spanish crap and was trying to find ksjo, but never found it. The only station I ever really listened to 92.3 . FVCK YOU CLEAR CHANNEL!!!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
this is why i love XM
when clear channel does sh!t like this its just gonna push more people to satalite radio

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
104.9 all the way. I stopped listening to KSJO just before L&T moved to the BONE. I like the alternative rock much more anyway. Got too tired of listening to the same old AC/DC crap every single day.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: fs5
live105 > ksjo

Who cares? Regardless of your opinion on the station, a station that has had a rock format for 40 years suddenly going spanish language is not a good thing. I haven't listened to KSJO a whole lot the past few years, but it was nice to know it was there. It was a preset, along with Live 105 and many others, that I could scan. Now it's just one more spanish station. What's more is, another spanish station started broadcasting on like the exact same day. Just how many spanish radio stations does the bay area need?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
Originally posted by: fs5
live105 > ksjo

Who cares? Regardless of your opinion on the station, a station that has had a rock format for 40 years suddenly going spanish language is not a good thing. I haven't listened to KSJO a whole lot the past few years, but it was nice to know it was there. It was a preset, along with Live 105 and many others, that I could scan. Now it's just one more spanish station. What's more is, another spanish station started broadcasting on like the exact same day. Just how many spanish radio stations does the bay area need?

I liked Live 105 better than KSJO too, but I liked KSJO better than Spanish.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
i guess this is like 95.7 turning into a mid-30 male radio station, instead of a teenie bopper station.