People drink alcohol because they like the taste, not to get buzzed or get drunk.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I was listening in on an MSNBC show and they had an old doctor who is dead set against the legalization of Marijuana and other illicit drugs in this country tell a reporter that the difference between alcohol and illicit drugs is that "people drink alcohol because they like the taste of it, not because they want to get buzzed or drunk". I about fell over in my chair when I heard that.

Apparently there is another doctor in Spain where many drugs have been decriminalized who sets up anonymous online identities where people can send him various drugs they have purchased (samples) and he will test them and tell them what is in the drugs, if they are pure, real, or what, so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to use the drugs. He also sets up a shop on streets with clinicians by clubs in spain where people line up and give them samples of their drugs like MDMA, Ketamine, Heroin, Cocaine, etc. and they test it and tell them what is in it and the quality. They have something similar like this in Portugal too. This doctors name is Dr. "X". He said that this is a safer way to ensure people don't overdose on a drug that is too pure, or take a drug that is mixed with unsafe ingredients that might harm or kill them. So far this approach seems to be working in Spain.

On the MSNBC show the old fart doctor who thinks people in America only drink for the taste believes all illicit drugs should be banned and people should still be jailed for using them. It was funny though listening to him claim that people only drink alcohol for the taste..lol

Anyway, as soon as they post the article online I will dig it up and post it. Apparently it isn't posted yet.

As far as I am concerned there is no point in drinking alcohol if you don't get a little buzz. I could never get into those non alcoholic beers either.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
I was listening in on an MSNBC show and they had an old doctor who is dead set against the legalization of Marijuana and other illicit drugs in this country tell a reporter that the difference between alcohol and illicit drugs is that "people drink alcohol because they like the taste of it, not because they want to get buzzed or drunk". I about fell over in my chair when I heard that.

Well then good news, doc; I only smoke it for the taste.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is the logic the prohibitionists display on a daily basis and why they are losing the war.

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014

Apparently there is another doctor in Spain where many drugs have been decriminalized who sets up anonymous online identities where people can send him various drugs they have purchased (samples) and he will test them and tell them what is in the drugs, if they are pure, real, or what, so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to use the drugs. He also sets up a shop on streets with clinicians by clubs in spain where people line up and give them samples of their drugs like MDMA, Ketamine, Heroin, Cocaine, etc. and they test it and tell them what is in it and the quality. They have something similar like this in Portugal too. This doctors name is Dr. "X". He said that this is a safer way to ensure people to overdose on a drug that is too pure, or take a drug that is mixed with unsafe ingredients that might harm or kill them. So far this approach seems to be working in Spain.

On the MSNBC show the old fart doctor who thinks people in America only drink for the taste believes all illicit drugs should be banned and people should still be jailed for using them. It was funny though listening to him claim that people only drink alcohol for the taste..lol

Anyway, as soon as they post the article online I will dig it up and post it. Apparently it isn't posted yet.

As far as I am concerned there is no point in drinking alcohol if you don't get a little buzz. I could never get into those non alcoholic beers either.

I can say there are a few beers I do enjoy for the flavor specifically and the enhancement of certain foods paired with them. It is not the sole reason I drink beer though;)

To say that the entire population drinks for flavor and not the buzz is insane.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I can say there are a few beers I do enjoy for the flavor specifically and the enhancement of certain foods paired with them. It is not the sole reason I drink beer though;)

To say that the entire population drinks for flavor and not the buzz is insane.

I don't smoke, but I am all for legalization.
From a nonsmoker's perspective, I think the difference is most people know most people don't usually get wasted when you drink, but assume that every pot smoker gets blazed.
I know it happens, but for most nonsmokers, it is hard to imagine a smoker having the equivalent of a glass of wine with dinner, in their minds the goal is always to get wasted.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
He is right. I drink champagne because I enjoy it. The fact that I eventually get intoxicated is merely a side effect, not the main purpose. But, I am not 19 and slamming Natty Lights to impress all the hoes and bros in the area.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

Apparently there is another doctor in Spain where many drugs have been decriminalized who sets up anonymous online identities where people can send him various drugs they have purchased (samples) and he will test them and tell them what is in the drugs, if they are pure, real, or what, so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to use the drugs. He also sets up a shop on streets with clinicians by clubs in spain where people line up and give them samples of their drugs like MDMA, Ketamine, Heroin, Cocaine, etc. and they test it and tell them what is in it and the quality. They have something similar like this in Portugal too. This doctors name is Dr. "X". He said that this is a safer way to ensure people don't overdose on a drug that is too pure, or take a drug that is mixed with unsafe ingredients that might harm or kill them. So far this approach seems to be working in Spain.

There are strands of cannabis that are so damn flavorful, that I couldn't care less if they get me high. I'd be happy to eat the buds out of a bowl like it was chex mix.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I don't smoke, but I am all for legalization.
From a nonsmoker's perspective, I think the difference is most people know most people don't usually get wasted when you drink, but assume that every pot smoker gets blazed.
I know it happens, but for most nonsmokers, it is hard to imagine a smoker having the equivalent of a glass of wine with dinner, in their minds the goal is always to get wasted.

Think of this way. Part of the reason marijuana is heavily smoked versus other methods is because of cost. You can eat it, cook with it, etc. but it takes more. When weed is $25 a gram, you need to maximize what you get out of it.

It's very much the same situation society had with alcohol prohibition. People weren't smuggling brew, they were smuggling rum, gin, etc. because the penalties were based on weight, not potency.

Prohibitionists cry that weed is stronger than ever. ITS THEIR FUCKING FAULT. The black market drove the high, basically unnatural potency that many strands of marijuana have today.

If cannabis was regulated like alcohol, then you might actually see food/drinks that are 'lightly' infused with cannabis. Just like pepsi is infused with caffeine, etc. It won't get you stoned, just give you a light buzz.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
On the MSNBC show the old fart doctor

One day the generation that old fart doctor came from will be gone. Then nobody will be left to defend victimless laws.

Whatever reason people drink or smoke week, if done in the privacy of their home is none of anyones business.

If I stay up late on friday and saturday night, drink till I pass out while watching netflix, it is none of anyones business, much less that old fart doctor.

As a consenting adult, I do not have to give that doctor a reason for my behavior.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I dunno, I'd smoke OG kush everyday for the taste. That delicious, pine-sol taste.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Some people who drink wine do it for the taste/aroma. The aroma is one reason why wine is supposed to be kept at room temperature... It evaporates into the air quicker.

But I'd say this is a minority of alcohol users.

Ogrinz

Dec 2, 2012
I can say I primarily drink for taste. The craft beer revitalization and having developed by beer pallet over time leads to great food pairings and solo drinks. Furthermore being 240 lbs with a decent tolerance I have to be chugging beers or slamming shots to get drunk. I cant even remember the last time I had anything more than a slight buzz.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I guess his head would explode if you asked him why some people like hemp flavored beer.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
When I drink, I choose what to drink based on flavor. However, the underlying desire is some sense of euphoria, relaxation, and so forth from alcohol. The first drink usually just calms me down. The second can get a buzz going, and third gets the warm glow going. Anything beyond that in one sitting - for me - is just drinking to drink.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
He's right to a point. Sure I drink for the flavor, but that's only part 1 of the enjoyment. Part 2 is when it starts tasting even better after the first drink. :)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He's partially correct. Finding an alcoholic beverage that suits your tastes is rewarding. We have a local brewery in town that makes outstanding beers, I definitely drink theirs for the taste. And less shitty ingredients makes for a nice clean alcohol feeling.

Of course, many people choose their MJ by taste, and feeling as well.

The doctor is just reminiscent of a time when his views were the vast majority. Change isn't an easy task, but sometimes required as life changes around you.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Then why the hell do I have such a hard time keeping it down? Bitter sensitivity + alcohol = gag reflex.

He's talking about pure ethanol.

Have you tried mixing everclear with your favorite non-alcoholic beverage?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This thread made me dig out my bottle of Bénédictine. Deo Optimo Maximo So deliciously sweet.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
everclear1ltr_1.jpg

Yeah right.