PEOPLE AT MY SCHOOL HAVE TO MUCH FUC*&@(#ING MONEY! GOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dibs

Feb 18, 2000
Dude, wait until you get to college. When I was in college (just a few, short years ago), there was a guy in one of my classes who had a Viper GTS. Then he got "bored" with it and traded it in for a Hummer and also bought a Ducati motorcycle just for shytes-and-giggles.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I have a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix with well over 200k miles, and I'm PROUD of it dammit!!! HAHHHAHAHHAHAHA!!! I have no more car payments, I finished making them a year ago!!

My insurance? Still a bit high because of my age and the fact that I live in california, but affordable.

One thing I noticed at my school: 25% of the people who were given newer cars (like a 98 contour) wrecked them by the end of high school. 5% of the people with older cars wrecked them. The people with older cars knew that's all they were ever gonna get unless they put up cash. The people with newer cars had parents that were stupid.

Even if I were as rich as gates, I'd still buy my kids a jalopy to drive back and forth to school. If they want something better they better figure out how to get a job.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I know someone with a brand new Chevy Blazer with only 2000 miles on it, he doesn't like it so hi dad is giving him a 2001 S500!! Oh well, there's always gonna be that one person that's set for life and you're gonna have to deal with it. =)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses. If that's all you try to do in life, you'll find it rather empty.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
S500...You don't mean Mercedes S500 do you? Oh...my...God...

Elemental,

I wanted a Ford Contour SE V6...however I'm stuck driving a '95 Mazda Protege. It's not my parents, it's half mine, half a friend who went off to college. He can't afford the car while he's at college. Needless to say, he's not happy when I show him some scratches and dings on it. Then I show him what he's done. Keeps curbing the damn hubcaps!!! Meh...at least I'm not driving a '78 Honda Civic.

Paul

Pod

Feb 29, 2000
Wait till you get to college. Provided it's a fairly costly private institute, your high school is going to look quite poor...here at my school (university of miami, florida) most people go around in 3-series and 5-series...several commuters own exotics, and then there's little old me with my 93 Taurus...:) The irony is, I can live like they do through a little creative book-balancing and cash usage :).

danieldex

Oct 12, 2000
dude i got jack all for a car. im 17 too and my parents arent gonna pay for one. I use theirs when i can. i also work, but i think getting a car isn't good right now, too expensive to run

i would love a contour v6 :) what im saying is well u are jealous of their lexus im jealous of yer car just be thankful man

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
sheesh!
i'm 17 and i drive a 93' taurus SHO i picked up for $5000....
whenever i drive by the high school, most of the cars i see are old subarus, with maybe a dozen really nice cars....i actually think i'm doing good just to have a car, but sheesh!
however, those people's parents paid for their cars, doesn't it feel good to think that you paid for your own? my parents drive 79' toyota corona that's about to break in half because of rust, and both of my parents work, i'm preeetttttttty sure our income is quite a ways over the national average....:)

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
talk about rich brats,
A kid who was from the same highschool as I am is now studying in Boston.

What car does he have??

His parents bought him these:

1. Mercedes E430
2. Range Rover (not sure which)
3. BMW M5
4. Ferrari 360 Modena. (YES! not a typo)

I'm serious ... no bull. He got them all NEW.

I don't know what his parents do for living. Bill Gates' sidekick maybe?? President of Sony Electronics?? I don't know. But I do know is that he does own those cars.

another friend that I know, same story, college kid, parents' money:
He drives a BMW 540i Sport
His younger sister drives a '99 Porsche 911.
They live in LA.

cgclausen

Aug 6, 2000
In my school there are honda civics as far as the eye can see. It is crazy how many there are. All with new rims and a noisy muffler of course.