People are tearing down my mom's advertisements, what can she do? Need advice :)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
my mom is trying to start up her own chinese school... she just quit as principal of another chinese school. so my mom goes around and puts up fliers and stuff. the problem is that after a few days, they disappear. becasue they are being torn down by people from her old chinese school. they didn't want her to leave (she was really successful), and so are determined to see her fail now. it's really retarded, the chinese school thing is more political than our government, i sh!t you not. anyways, just wondering if you guys have any suggestions to offer.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
advertise in those local chinese newspapers (we have them here in NJ... dunno about u're location), and in the local chinese supermarkets. also, word of mouth is good too... time to go to church :p

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: spankyOO7
advertise in those local chinese newspapers (we have them here in NJ... dunno about u're location), and in the local chinese supermarkets. also, word of mouth is good too... time to go to church :p

yea we have newspaper ads, and the supermarkets have been hit too. but that is one of the places where fliers are being taken and ripped up :(

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
what jerks chinese are...
no offense to any chinese just the ones that are rippin em down;p

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
[stupidthoughtoftheday] Tag on the walls, they'll never be able to tear it down!! [/stupidthoughtoftheday]

When my mom initially sent me to Chinese School, she found out about it through the newspaper, so i guess that would be the best choice.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I hope your mom makes it big time, gopunk.

thanks happypuppy :)

i hope so too, she has had kind of a rough life (well, not recently, but in her youth... cultural revolution and all)

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
hire some thugs to camp the chinese supermarket boards and beat down those who rip the fliers down.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Well, you could always put some nasty really sticky gunk like tree sap on the back of them, so if someone rips them down they get a nice mess to try to clean off their hands. :D

Good for your mom btw, thats awesome!

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
I used to run a coaching institute long time back ... when me and a couple of guys started the school.... we had very low capital.
So we just ripped up some advt. and repainted it .... I know it must have hurt the others ... but it was comptt. - and they were doing their bit too !
Like taking away students from us by coercion!!!

I guess it works this way when u r new.... and till u get a solid reputation.

There is nothing much u can do ... except put a lot more fliers .... and everywhere !
Soon they will get tired of it .... and by that time you shd. be established.

BTW : we had tried it then..... maybe it will work for you too !
Think about running an article in the local newspaper ..... u will get both - publicity and a lil' knock on the head of those who are behind it .
They will know that they cannot scare u off like this

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
pay for real advertising rather than sticking up fliers on billboards. The only advertising that I might actaully even look at on a bulletin board is something like "used bicycle for sale - $50". If people are advertising thier business on there, I usually assume it's 1 guy trying to run a crappy business out of his garage, and apparently the business isn't even good enough to afford real advertising.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
yea, we have newspaper ads already...

and i don't really mean billboards... i dunno it's hard to explain. in chinese establishments, there is often a stand where chinese newspapers and other stuff go. and she goes and asks permission from the store owners, then puts a bunch of fliers in there, and sticks some on the window and such.

i like the sticky gunk idea :D

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

I'm a realist....There is no way you can stop people from ripping down these posters......Realize this, and stop wasting time putting them up (or tell your mom this). Continue to advertise in ways that cannot be destroyed by haters......

That's it....

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I for one second the idea with the thugs, you can never have too many thugs to do work for you, I mean I know this one guy that would beat the crap outta himself for 20 bucks.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
How about getting local newspapers to interview her because she has a new venture just like opening a new business in a way. A grand opening sorts of article and this is normally free.

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: amdskip
How about getting local newspapers to interview her because she has a new venture just like opening a new business in a way. A grand opening sorts of article and this is normally free.

that's what I suggested ... it sounds cool and it works

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
I for one second the idea with the thugs, you can never have too many thugs to do work for you, I mean I know this one guy that would beat the crap outta himself for 20 bucks.

:)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: lawaris
Originally posted by: amdskip

that's what I suggested ... it sounds cool and it works

ah missed that, thanks! :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I like the sticky gunk thing..

If I were her I'd start passing them out at the old school until they stopped ripping the advertisements down...make sure they are aware of this as well

Why did she leave the school?