people are so flaky

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Is it just craigslist or is this normal human behavior? In recent memory:

- I'm selling a used dishwasher for $50 (because I really need to get rid of it from my deck - taking up space). Pictures and full description.
---> woman calls and asks the dimensions, and if I can do cheaper because she's pregnant and due any day now - she really needs to wash her bottles. I call back and give her the dimensions and she says great she'll call back in 20 minutes. Never calls back, I call her again a few days later and she says yeah I'm still interested, but can she have her husband call me back that night because of the dimensions thing. Never calls back. Still in labor.
---> guy calls me and asks about it for his daughter who's close by, but he's pretty far away. Sounds really interested and wants to set up a time the next day - never calls back.
---> guy calls and pretty much wants it on the spot, will call me later for directions (I don't like to give my address unless I'm sure they are really on their way). He never calls me that night and I call him... "oh my wife suprised me and bought one already".

- I'm selling a baby gate extra wide, mention it goes up to 44", for only $15 fricken bucks.
---> woman emails within minutes and asks if it's still available. I give details and ask her to call me back when she knows what time she can be here. She emails me back saying oh wait I may have emailed too soon - let me check the width I need and I'll get back to you. Still haven't heard back from her.

- WTB an ipod, we email back and forth pretty frequently within an hour and I'm going to call him this morning since he said he can meet at any time today. I call today at 10am and he says oh I got called into work for 1130am, call me tomorrow. We're like 15 minutes away from each other.

W T F people??? Umm, accountability? I think I've only ever completed 1 CL transaction. If you think you have someone willing to buy something, only believe it when you finally see them face-to-face.

Last edited:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

- I'm selling a used dishwasher for $50 (because I really need to get rid of it from my deck - taking up space). Pictures and full description.
---> woman calls and asks the dimensions, and if I can do cheaper because she's pregnant and due any day now - she really needs to wash her bottles. I call back and give her the dimensions and she says great she'll call back in 20 minutes. Never calls back, I call her again a few days later and she says yeah I'm still interested, but can she have her husband call me back that night because of the dimensions thing. Never calls back. Still in labor.
---> guy calls me and asks about it for his daughter who's close by, but he's pretty far away. Sounds really interested and wants to set up a time the next day - never calls back.
---> guy calls and pretty much wants it on the spot, will call me later for directions (I don't like to give my address unless I'm sure they are really on their way). He never calls me that night and I call him... "oh my wife suprised me and bought one already".

- I'm selling a baby gate extra wide, mention it goes up to 44", for only $15 fricken bucks.
---> woman emails within minutes and asks if it's still available. I give details and ask her to call me back when she knows what time she can be here. She emails me back saying oh wait I may have emailed too soon - let me check the width I need and I'll get back to you. Still haven't heard back from her.

- WTB an ipod, we email back and forth pretty frequently within an hour and I'm going to call him this morning since he said he can meet at any time today. I call today at 10am and he says oh I got called into work for 1130am, call me tomorrow.

W T F people??? Umm, accountability? I think I've only ever completed 1 CL transaction.
yes, this does sound like typical Craigslist.

did you put "no trade" in your ad? i made the mistake of not adding those two words and the shit people wanted to trade with me for the item I was selling was laughable.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
yes, this does sound like typical Craigslist.

did you put "no trade" in your ad? i made the mistake of not adding those two words and the shit people wanted to trade with me for the item I was selling was laughable.

I put on $100+ genuine (from Sunglass Hut) Ray Ban Aviators. Someone wanted to trade me a freaking Sony Walkman and some chairs for them... FML.

Ya, I've been trying to get rid of my computer case for a while. Lot of offers, very few phone calls. One was my fault because I gave up and stopped checking my e-mail that I use for craigslist.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Yea, ymmv with craiglist. Some areas have a lot less flaky buyers.

But yea, it took me months and prospective buyer after buyer to finally sell and old laptop (not that old... from ~2009). I had it listed pretty cheap and much lower in price than all the other laptops listed (some guy had a P4-M laptop listed for $600, lol). But yea people kept flaking out, and I have no idea why.

Why do people even call if they're not really that interested in the item? Doesn't make sense at all.

JohnnyMCE

Apr 13, 2006
craigslist responders fall into three categories.

The person who wants the item and wants it now (i wish they were all this type)

The person who wants to low ball you (i'll give you a chicken and a goat for your aston martin, it's a fair trade)

The person who e-mails or calls you once and you will never hear from them again

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
It's because people put their bid on things with a shotgun style approach. Hit everyone, work the deal out, then pick whichever suits them best.

I bet every one of those people pulled that lame strategy.

I posted an ad a few months ago looking for a parking space within 500m-1km(max) distance from a specific address. I got shit tons of e-mails for parking spaces 5-10km away from the address. Thanks fuckers.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I've been trying to sell an upright washer/dryer combo for $100 on craigslist for a year. I got plenty of bites, people call "on their way to see it" and never show, some even came and looked at it...I only ever heard from them all once.

Still sitting in my garage. Anyone want a washer/dryer stacked combo?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ive done sevaral CL trans. I sold a car, 10 speed, lawnmower (I even delivered), etc. I gave away a used mattress (overwhelming demand). Ive thankfully only ran into a few flakes.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Yeah. Honestly I find it demeaning for people to waste other peoples time. If you don't want the shit, call and let them know. Don't leave them hanging.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009

- WTB an ipod, we email back and forth pretty frequently within an hour and I'm going to call him this morning since he said he can meet at any time today. I call today at 10am and he says oh I got called into work for 1130am, call me tomorrow. We're like 15 minutes away from each other.

W T F people??? Umm, accountability? I think I've only ever completed 1 CL transaction. If you think you have someone willing to buy something, only believe it when you finally see them face-to-face.

Lol... From my experience you just have to read the emails more carefully. If they ask a lot of questions they are less likely to buy. If they leave a number call them and tell them to pick it up today.

Don't rely on them to tell you when they can make it, just tell them to pick it up today.

Seriously though. I sold an AC on CL recently, I wanted to sell it to the guy who replied first but he wanted me to give him every spec about the AC possible like the brand the year the warranty info and all that shit. I sent him a pic since I didn't have the info (it was kinda old) and he replies wanting more info. I went back into my inbox and found the 4th or 5th reply to the ad who said he could come pick it up right away. Made the phone call and it was gone 45 mins later. haha.

Jerk move? Maybe.. but why inconvience myself when there are other willing buyers?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Made a mistake late March year, but from the side as a buyer.

Seller wanted $120 for a Asus Rampage III Formula LGA X58 mobo, worth about $299 at that time. Emailed him asking why the low price, was emailed back that he'll call back when they were ready to sell. Never got the call back. :rolleyes:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I've called someone on Craigslist, "still available?" "Yes" "Okay, I have the cash in hand, I'll leave right now to come get it. Address?" 5 minutes later, "Just calling from my cell phone in the car to let you know I'm on the way; I'm already about 3 miles from home. I should be there in about <..> minutes"

THAT'S how transactions should work. If the seller isn't available right then, then I make arrangements for the best time, give them my phone number in case something comes up. I've never had a problem & have sold/purchased quite a few things.

Oh wait - I did have a problem once - wife's fault. Someone wanted us to deliver a kitten. Turned out to be a PETA nut trying to waste our time.

Wanescotting

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
I've called someone on Craigslist, "still available?" "Yes" "Okay, I have the cash in hand, I'll leave right now to come get it. Address?" 5 minutes later, "Just calling from my cell phone in the car to let you know I'm on the way; I'm already about 3 miles from home. I should be there in about <..> minutes"

THAT'S how transactions should work. If the seller isn't available right then, then I make arrangements for the best time, give them my phone number in case something comes up. I've never had a problem & have sold/purchased quite a few things.

Oh wait - I did have a problem once - wife's fault. Someone wanted us to deliver a kitten. Turned out to be a PETA nut trying to waste our time.

Agreed. Constant communication = smooth transaction. same applies when doing business in fs/ft forum. see my heat, old as dirt, but still

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Lol... From my experience you just have to read the emails more carefully. If they ask a lot of questions they are less likely to buy.

Interestingly enough I was trying to sell a car once and put a lot of time and effort into the description, history, and why I was selling. I think I spent 10 full minutes on that thing. It got flagged for removal. They wanted the basics... is it still running and how much.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Just remembered. I sold a 5770 video card to someone through Craigslist. Sucker pressed me on price after we agreed in the e-mail, and I gave it to him because I just wanted to get rid of it. Then I tell him to e-mail/text me when he's done testing it so that I can transfer the warranty. Guy never does...

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah I love that. I've occasionally been pushed over the edge by people asking questions that I already addressed in the ad and sent a curt email saying "Read the ad."

It's pretty typical. Took me a couple weekends to give away a gas grill. One guy came buy with a fucking Pontiac Grand Am 2-door, as if he thought a grill would fit in that thing. I ended up leaving it on my parking pad and told one guy he could pick it up and take it whenever he wanted, and he did. Out of my hair.

One guy wanted me to hold a free sofa for him so he could drive 50+ miles to get it. I was like, no fucking way dude, it's a free item, first person to get here gets it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
p_selsun_main.jpg

Jul 10, 2007
i've sold 4 major appliances on CL, 2 within 1 hour, the other 2 within 48 hours at asking price.
previously, i sold my old car in under a week.

i must be doing something right.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
i've sold 4 major appliances on CL, 2 within 1 hour, the other 2 within 48 hours at asking price.
previously, i sold my old car in under a week.

i must be doing something right.

Again... a lot of it depends on your local area. I don't know what kind of population makes up for a CL-friendly audience, but some places just don't have it.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I've been trying to sell an upright washer/dryer combo for $100 on craigslist for a year. I got plenty of bites, people call "on their way to see it" and never show, some even came and looked at it...I only ever heard from them all once.

Still sitting in my garage. Anyone want a washer/dryer stacked combo?

I'll be over in 5 minutes......... would you accept a goat & a chicken....... it's a fair trade ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman