people are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have wondered why the high efficiency crappers haven’t gone back to the old water closet design. Raise the tank an additional foot or two, let gravity handle the force.

I'm guessing it's some sort of safety issue/coding by state? Probably too many kids trying to climb on those tanks or something, strangling themselves on the cord....as kids do.

but otherwise, I agree. I've seen a few old houses around here that still have functioning suspended tanks. I *think* the only way to retain them is to have some sort of historical designation for the property, and very, very few homeowners really want that. I doubt they can be built new and pass county/state code.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, I threw in my two-cents worth in my previous post about my phone calls to USGS and the new mountain.

For the light-bulbs, I embraced the LEDs, but the early ones never seemed bright enough. Today's bulbs and shop lanterns are much brighter. I haven't got a problem with it. But Trump has to be the biggest ignoramus in human history.

Sheesh. If he wants us to buy gas-guzzlers and increase atmospheric carbon, why doesn't he just insist that everyone get a horse? or a Hummer?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
As someone who knows some Trumpanzees, the "government controlling your toilet" has been a complaint of their for decades. Trump just won some brownie points from them.

Where as I think the Cheeto is talking about his lame !@# towers, maybe they lack water pressure. Personally I wouldn't know, never lived or even visited a high rise.

Trump, like his supporters, is still voicing grievances that are thirty years out of date. Yes, there were problems with the initial water saving toilets and portable toaster/incandescent bulb replacements, but that was a long time ago and those problems have been long solved.

They are the sort of people who will never change their mind once they have reached an opinion, regardless of the facts.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Oh Lord. That's a good maxim - I just keep forgetting it. So Trump knows he's orange, feels a need to explain it away, but doesn't want to acknowledge that anyone can see it?

There is something about Trump's whole speaking-style that I'm sure could be analysed by someone a lot sharper at such things than I am. There's something 'there', a just-below-the-surface-message, that I can''t quite explicate, in the nature of his rambling, ellipsis-filled, stream-of-conciousness delivery.

It's as if he often feels he has to just keep talking, to head-off a creeping feeling of existential panic or something. Even if he at some level probably has an inkling that he isn't making any sense. Or is it just narcissism, that he thinks even his most incoherent half-formed thoughts are worthy of being shared with the whole world? (a risky allegation to make on a web-forum, come to think of it, but at least this isn't Twitter)
And it's scary, even scarier is the amount of people who still support him despite "windmills cause cancer", "people flush 15 times", "illegal voters put a hat on and voted multiple times for Hillary", I could go on but why bother. Are there THAT many people still pissed Obama got elected twice?, I don't get it.

Reactions: Jaskalas
Feb 4, 2009
I'm guessing it's some sort of safety issue/coding by state? Probably too many kids trying to climb on those tanks or something, strangling themselves on the cord....as kids do.

but otherwise, I agree. I've seen a few old houses around here that still have functioning suspended tanks. I *think* the only way to retain them is to have some sort of historical designation for the property, and very, very few homeowners really want that. I doubt they can be built new and pass county/state code.

I’m not talking ceiling height, I’m talking one or two feet higher, just like any current crapper just the tank goes higher.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I’m not talking ceiling height, I’m talking one or two feet higher, just like any current crapper just the tank goes higher.

right, which means little kids would be trying to climb it, because it's easier to access. you raise it higher and out of their reach, then you have a longer cord, with which they can strangle themselves.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Somehow, I just thought of the new Allstate insurance commercial, where the woman driving her car turns and looks at the guy who is supposed to be her 75-lb St. Bernard puppy. And as he licks her cheek, she says "I saw you eating poop the other day!"

I've never known a thirsty dog who wouldn't turn to the toilet bowl as an option. The low GPF toilets don't leave much of a well-filled watering hole . . .

Trump really doesn't like dogs, as I understand it. Probably, because there are very few dogs who are sociopaths. He doesn't have much in common with the canines . . .

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That or make a dial adjustable direct water flow toilet. Start out with the commercial toilet and modify it with a dial (#1-5). You could set a limit for the amount of water at #5. So if the wife ate Chinese last night and drops a heavy one the next morning she can crank up the dial to the limit. You come along later and have a skinny one so you dial the water down to a #2. Of course it would be electronically controlled so you add Bluetooth and an app and voila!

I thought such things sort-of existed already? Though with just two buttons for two levels of flushing, rather than a dial?

I can't believe Trump has me talking about toilets.

And it's scary, even scarier is the amount of people who still support him despite "windmills cause cancer", "people flush 15 times", "illegal voters put a hat on and voted multiple times for Hillary", I could go on but why bother. Are there THAT many people still pissed Obama got elected twice?, I don't get it.

People are really, really angry. Everywhere. And few of them seem to be entirely clear what it is they are angry about. (Have we been putting some new additive in petrol, since lead was phased out? Maybe that's what's doing it and we're barking up the wrong tree looking at socio-economic issues? Actually, apparently those of us who breathed in lead in childhood will start to release it from our bones as we age and it will neuro-poison us all over again...maybe that's why its the Baby Boomer generation who seem especially enraged?)

Feb 4, 2009
right, which means little kids would be trying to climb it, because it's easier to access. you raise it higher and out of their reach, then you have a longer cord, with which they can strangle themselves.

Ignore the Scandinavian toilet design because it looks irritating.
Black area is raised tank, one solid piece to the pedestal, red is flush lever on some kind of pulley. No strings all of them are inside the tank

*blue is water inside the tank*

F9283BDD-62B3-4AB6-B7DC-37A5854E0E7B.jpeg

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I thought such things sort-of existed already? Though with just two buttons for two levels of flushing, rather than a dial?

Yes, we do have two button toilets. Button one for #1 (pee) and button two for #2 (poop). Button two does not always take care of an Act of Congress.

You know Trump is always talking sh!t.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

No code issue. They still make them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would expect that they make a fair amount of noise.
I wonder if they make a matching bidet?

Oh, I'm definitely getting a bidet soon...actually, I'm probably going to order one this week, lol. (well, the add-on ones)

:D

I don't (currently) have any space to install a real bidet...otherwise, I probably would do it.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

People are really, really angry. Everywhere. And few of them seem to be entirely clear what it is they are angry about. (Have we been putting some new additive in petrol, since lead was phased out? Maybe that's what's doing it and we're barking up the wrong tree looking at socio-economic issues? Actually, apparently those of us who breathed in lead in childhood will start to release it from our bones as we age and it will neuro-poison us all over again...maybe that's why its the Baby Boomer generation who seem especially enraged?)
Well I'm a boomer and I've inhaled plenty of lead but damm, how does anyone get that dumb?. Oh, I've seen plenty of young people on the Trump-train but most seem to have Nazi tendencies.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Oh, I'm definitely getting a bidet soon...actually, I'm probably going to order one this week, lol. (well, the add-on ones)

:D

I don't (currently) have any space to install a real bidet...otherwise, I probably would do it.
Damm, only $42 or $59 for the heated version, would be great for hemorrhoid flare-ups.

Reactions: Lanyap

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Damm, only $42 or $59 for the heated version, would be great for hemorrhoid flare-ups.

yes, I am skeptical with that price...it's a "good" price, but I worry that it would be shooting chinese lead up my anus.

thoughts?

Mar 11, 2004
Ignore the Scandinavian toilet design because it looks irritating.
Black area is raised tank, one solid piece to the pedestal, red is flush lever on some kind of pulley. No strings all of them are inside the tank

*blue is water inside the tank*

View attachment 14137

That will never work, your water line is higher than the top of the toilet! Also there appears to be a crack lower down with water leaking out. :D

Actually a design like the thing on the right could be interesting. Basically put a radiator in the bathroom, where it'd be warm in the winter and cold in the summer, with flushes bringing in new water that is hot/cold.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
yes, I am skeptical with that price...it's a "good" price, but I worry that it would be shooting chinese lead up my anus.

thoughts?
You're buying a $49 bidet, expect $49 bucks worth of quality. If the thing lasts a month and doesn't blow your nuts off, you're ahead of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: ElFenix

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That will never work, your water line is higher than the top of the toilet! Also there appears to be a crack lower down with water leaking out. :D

Actually a design like the thing on the right could be interesting. Basically put a radiator in the bathroom, where it'd be warm in the winter and cold in the summer, with flushes bringing in new water that is hot/cold.

those radiator/towel drying racks are really common in Europe, especially northern Europe, where it's often cold and bathrooms are pretty tiny. That's another proper euro device that we need more of in the states.

You're buying a $49 bidet, expect $49 bucks worth of quality. If the thing lasts a month and doesn't blow your nuts off, you're ahead of the game.

well, you make a good point.

Feb 4, 2009

Thing on the right is a towel warmer, I wanted to get one for my wife but there is no place to mount it, plus she is very fire conscious I am sure she would be afraid a towel is going to catch on fire.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I have wondered why the high efficiency crappers haven’t gone back to the old water closet design. Raise the tank an additional foot or two, let gravity handle the force.

Had a grandparent with one of those. Sounded and looked like Niagara when you flushed....

No subtleties there, you flush and the whole neighborhood knows a brown trout just got released.