Pentium vs i3

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
So I'm looking at two laptops and I'm not sure how much faster one will be than the other.

One has an Intel Pentium B980 2.4ghz(On sale for $250)
The other has 3rd Gen Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8ghz ($400)

Is there a big difference between those two processors? I'm a broke college kid, so cheaper is always better, but I just don't want to be disappointing with the speed. I'm guessing this will be a downgrade from my desktop which I put in an AMD Phenom II x4 975BE.

Summary, which one is the faster of the two, and how much slower will it be compared to my desktop? For the most part, it will be used for Office, iTunes, video playing and web browsing (sometimes all four of those at the same time) Oh, will also be using a TV tuner card with it.

If you care to know what the CPU's are in, it's these two

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...3332167&loc=01

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=6819675

Last edited:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Well, both are sandy bridge parts, so similar cores, except i3 has hyperthreading. In fact, the cheaper processor should be faster (due to 600mhz advantage) in most tasks, except for highly multithreaded programs, in which i3 would do better.

Those being sandy bridge part, they would have no problems doing tasks like you described, if there's any difference for those tasks between your desktop, it will be due to laptop working in energy conserve mode (when on battery) and slower hard drive speed.

Last edited:

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
Awesome, thanks for clarifying that for me. Would highly multithreaded be something like using a video converter? Or perhaps using a program to create a back up of a DVD?

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
One has an Intel Pentium B980 2.4ghz(On sale for $250)
The other has 3rd Gen Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8ghz ($400)

Well, both are sandy bridge parts, so similar cores, except i3 has hyperthreading. In fact, the cheaper processor should be faster (due to 600mhz advantage) in most tasks, except for highly multithreaded programs, in which i3 would do better.

Those being sandy bridge part, they would have no problems doing tasks like you described, if there's any difference for those tasks between your desktop, it will be due to laptop working in energy conserve mode (when on battery) and slower hard drive speed.

The i3 is Ivy Bridge, as stated above. I'm not sure what difference that would have on your opinion though.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Pentium = Intel HD Graphics (HD 2000 without QuickSync)
i3 = Intel HD 4000.

so there is a big different on the integrated GPU,

Last edited:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
oh, my bad. Yeah, the ivy bridge should have more energy efficiency/ better video-related stuff then, but I doubt he would notice much difference doing office/internet stuff.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
the pentium is probably a lot faster but those cheap asus lappies are really junkie and have horrible touchpads, i would still get the hp. or better yet, just get a non-ulv hp laptop. i wouldnt get a laptop without a number keypad either

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
In that case, would the i3 be much better for recording tv on it with a tv tuner and burning it to a dvd (external drive) while doing other stuff than the Pentium?

I believe the HP does only have a 4 cell battery where the Asus has a 6 cell, so probably similar batter life, yeah?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Another note is the i3 is a 17W part with HD4000.

The B980 is 35W and slower IGP.

Its basicly a laptop CPU vs a ultrabook CPU.

Something like the i3-3120M would be the i3 alternative to the B980.

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
Well, one big question now I guess. Would it really be worth the $150 more for the HP with the i3?

If I'm right, they'd have similar battery life, the Asus might be a little faster for web browsing and iTunes, but the HP would be better for video stuff?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
You definitely need a SSD cuz both of those CPU's blow much goat!

Your going to have a laggy laptop. Buy a SSD and it will be the best upgrade youll ever make in your life. and lappy will be snappy!!!

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Well, one big question now I guess. Would it really be worth the $150 more for the HP with the i3?

If I'm right, they'd have similar battery life, the Asus might be a little faster for web browsing and iTunes, but the HP would be better for video stuff?

if you use quick sync the difference for video conversion is huge,
for video playback both should be OK, and for conversion only using the CPU I think both should be close enough (one have higher clock, other slightly higher IPC and hyper threading),

for gaming the i3 is going to have a big advantage (but it's not really a gaming CPU/GPU anyway).

to be honest, $250 is pretty good for that laptop...

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
You definitely need a SSD cuz both of those CPU's blow much goat!

Your going to have a laggy laptop. Buy a SSD and it will be the best upgrade youll ever make in your life. and lappy will be snappy!!!

If the OP had more money to spend on an SSD he could afford a better laptop.

I would say get the i3. You will notice the benefits of the HD4000.

dragantoe

Oct 22, 2012
my brother has an ivy bridge i3 and i have the ivy bridge pentium and on single threaded applications they perform identically

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
Well, I appreciate the reply guys. However by the time I got to the store they sold the last white one and only had two link ones left. Although I'm going to keep my eye open for another deal like that. At least now I know that for me it wouldn't make much of a difference.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
That $249 Asus laptop was a really hot deal. I would have bought one for my wife if I lived in the US.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
In that case, would the i3 be much better for recording tv on it with a tv tuner and burning it to a dvd (external drive) while doing other stuff than the Pentium?

I believe the HP does only have a 4 cell battery where the Asus has a 6 cell, so probably similar batter life, yeah?

YES YES YES! and YES!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Wow that's pretty much free!!! Great deal. Sorry you don't live in USA.

Wouldn't they still ship to your country or no ?
Maybe but it costs a lot in import fees at the border.

I could have had it shipped to a depot at the US side of the border and then picked it up but that's a lot of hassle.

five0hfox

Aug 14, 2010
They tricked me I guess. You can add it to your cart, but only for in store pickup and no store has it.