Pentium-M(Centrino) - Video/Audio Encoding Performance ?

itsramesh

Mar 22, 2003
I have read reviews about the pentium-M(Centrino) and they seem to state that even a 1.4GHz Pentium-M can compete with a 2.4GHz Pentium-4. But the tests didnot cover Video/Audio Encoding Performance.

I would like to know how this processor fares in this department.

JeremiahTheGreat

Oct 19, 2001
it fares very badly. Its best to think of the Pentium-M as an Athlon type processor. Good for number crunching, not so good for media encoding.

I mean, look at the sysmark score for the P-M :p

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
If the cpu was put more in a pc desktop format I think it would fare much better and even clock for clock better then its northwood competitor. Remember the laptops are usually saddled with 4200-5400rpm harddrives, non dual channel memory and ran at lowest default speed. If you could run single channel ddr pc2100 with a 5400rpm drive with equal clock speed I think you will see what I mean.

I lowered my 2.4b to 1.8ghz and ra it against my 1.5 centrino and in quite a few test (winzip,winrar, FH, autocadd render) it did equal or slightly better then the 1.8ghz northwood. In a couple test it wasn't too far off of my 2.4b at deafult...maybe equal to a 2.2ghz in those test. In prime95 bench though it was piss poor, so I am not 100% sure about the number crunching theory.