Pentium D 830 Running hot with retail or Ninja.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Idle is 62 celcius and up to 73 load

Front 120mm, Rear 120mm, Sythe Ninja with 120mm.

I have installed this thing 3 times with artic silver and other grease.

It was running high with the retail fan as well.

Case is the Antec SLK 2600 or 3600 can't remember.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Verify with a 2nd temp monitor, sometimes they can be inaccurate .. you should also feel the surface of the heatsink. Personally, I'd ebay that sucker, save some pennies, and drop a E6300 in. FWIW.

PS : Drop voltage and see if it's still stable? PDs should be kept below 60 if at all possible, so that under high loads they don't throttle on you.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't see any slow downs playing q4 for a couple of hours straight. Maybe all the temps are wrong. I dunno?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK< Its been a year or more now that we have been warning people that PD's run hot... Why do you people keep buying them ????? CAN'T YOU READ ???

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Markfw900
OK< Its been a year or more now that we have been warning people that PD's run hot... Why do you people keep buying them ????? CAN'T YOU READ ???

Maybe it came with a system he salvaged some parts from, maybe it was a cheap combo deal, who knows? Being a 8xx series, he probably didn't buy it recently.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
The 8xx series pentium-d's are the worst when it comes to running hot. If you are staying under 75c you shouldn't be throttling, if you are running in the high 60's, thats fairly normal for those CPU's. The scythe ninja should at least keep it down in the mid to low 60's though. My 830 was hitting over 70c with the stock heatsink, even water cooling only got it down to the low 60's.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
if it's this hot with a properly installed ninja, then it was melting with the stock hsf... did u use the ninja pieces to install (backplate and socket)? it would seem that the ninja isn't making good contact...

what's your ambient?

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: stevty2889
The 8xx series pentium-d's are the worst when it comes to running hot. If you are staying under 75c you shouldn't be throttling, if you are running in the high 60's, thats fairly normal for those CPU's. The scythe ninja should at least keep it down in the mid to low 60's though. My 830 was hitting over 70c with the stock heatsink, even water cooling only got it down to the low 60's.

I had Pentium D 830 few months ago, it was idling at 34°C. The trick lies in using proper heatsink and carefully applying thermal paste

Edit: proof http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/750/oldcpuah2.jpg

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Aberforth

I had Pentium D 830 few months ago, it was idling at 34°C. The trick lies in using proper heatsink and carefully applying thermal paste

Edit: proof http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/750/oldcpuah2.jpg

Idle temps mean little, I was refering to load temps..

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cubeless
if it's this hot with a properly installed ninja, then it was melting with the stock hsf... did u use the ninja pieces to install (backplate and socket)? it would seem that the ninja isn't making good contact...

what's your ambient?

Backplate? I just intalled it like the retail.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO

what's your ambient?

Ah, you must have the rev b ninja. The older version has a backplate, rather than the plastic clips that the stock heatsink has. My roomate got the rev b ninja as well, it took him quite a few tries to get it fully seated correctly even though it looked like it was in place, so you may want to try reseating it again. Also, make sure you aren't using too much thermal grease, as that will also increase temps. If you put it under load, and feel the heatpipes, they should be hot to the touch if you are making good contact at 73c.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
never did a ninja on a intel before, but for amd it has it's own backplate and socket... i tried using another hsf's socket to save time when i was swapping stuff around, and the ninja seemed to not have as much pressure against the chip...
pulled everything apart and put theh sycthe pieces on and the cooling improved...

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO

what's your ambient?

Ah, you must have the rev b ninja. The older version has a backplate, rather than the plastic clips that the stock heatsink has. My roomate got the rev b ninja as well, it took him quite a few tries to get it fully seated correctly even though it looked like it was in place, so you may want to try reseating it again. Also, make sure you aren't using too much thermal grease, as that will also increase temps. If you put it under load, and feel the heatpipes, they should be hot to the touch if you are making good contact at 73c.

Yep I got the B. I will try to reset again and use way less AS5.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Reset again and now have 58-60 celcius idle and stays under 70 at load. Guess I have to save some pennies and move on from here.

nZone

Jan 29, 2007
I have P805 D; OC to 3.4GH; Load never exceeded 34C. idle around 28-29C.
I'm using ThermalTake BigTyphoon and Antec P180 Case; all fans set on low.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Just to let you know how much a piece of shite Intel chips were then....My ninja rev B cooled my quad core QX6700 at 3.2ghz w/ 1.36v idle and 1.33v load and had coretemp load temperatures of around 66-71c....Idle were in the low 50's.....

It has cooled my C2D chips OC'd as high as 3.4-3.5ghz with 1.45v actual and had temps lower then 65c under load....

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: nZone
I have P805 D; OC to 3.4GH; Load never exceeded 34C. idle around 28-29C.
I'm using ThermalTake BigTyphoon and Antec P180 Case; all fans set on low.

Not using coretemp... And even with speedfan, I don;t believe it. Screen shot ?