Pentagon Accuses Haliburton of Stonewalling on overcharge Investigation

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I guess they might be expecting some protection from Cheney in the same manner Bush covered Ken Lay's ass.
Fvcking big business. We need some laws put into effect, fast.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Pentagon has accused Vice President Dick Cheney's former firm, Halliburton Co., of refusing to turn over internal documents that show the company knowingly overcharged taxpayers $61 million for work in Iraq, a published report said Friday.

I don't think they can use the excuse that revealing the documents is a 'national security' issue, can they? ;)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
More radical left-wing liberal mudslinging. When will you learn Haliburton is a non-profit organization which has no self-interest and is only in Iraq to provide humanitarian assistance to enhance the lives of everyday Iraqis? You should be ashamed of yourself. so what if they had inflated transportation costs for this oil? Let's suppose they used Mercedes SUVs to haul a few 55 gallon drums of oil each trip? The employees who haul this stuff deserve comfort and a smooth ride, don't they?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Pentagon has accused Vice President Dick Cheney's former firm, Halliburton Co., of refusing to turn over internal documents that show the company knowingly overcharged taxpayers $61 million for work in Iraq, a published report said Friday.

I don't think they can use the excuse that revealing the documents is a 'national security' issue, can they? ;)

exactly, revealing such documents may perhaps piss off alot of Americans, that can't be good for national security, right? ;)

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
why is it that every single time haliburton is mentioned in the news, dick cheney's name is always attached They must have repeated themselves 10 million times by now

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jteef
why is it that every single time haliburton is mentioned in the news, dick cheney's name is always attached They must have repeated themselves 10 million times by now

I don't know, could it be because he was once at a very high position in the company and is now the vice president? :D

Call me a cynic, but I don't think most people can keep politics and business separate, nor would I ever believe anyone who tried to tell me someone who was at such a high position in a company would suddenly sever ties with them once holding public office and never speak or collaborate in any way shape or form.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina

I don't know, could it be because he was once at a very high position in the company and is now the vice president? :D

Call me a cynic, but I don't think most people can keep politics and business separate, nor would I ever believe anyone who tried to tell me someone who was at such a high position in a company would suddenly sever ties with them once holding public office and never speak or collaborate in any way shape or form.

From what I hear, Dick is also still receiving money from them.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
This is not the exact article I wanted, but it does have one important fact in it.

In making their request, the congressmen noted that Cheney has received more than $33 million from Halliburton stock and stock options and still continues to receive deferred compensation from the company of about $180,000 a year.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina

Our politico folks enter government with a modest portfolio and exit multi millionaires.. they are indeed very sharp cookies and must be serving our interests and forsaking their own. We owe them a debt of gratitude.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Strk
From what I hear, Dick is also still receiving money from them.
Big time. :) But hey, that cash he gets every year from Halliburton has NO effect on policy. You understand the words coming out of my mouth? NO effect! Nothing to see here. No financial ties whatsoever.

Ooops. Did I say 'financial ties'?

A report by the Congressional Research Service undermines Vice President Dick Cheney's denial of a continuing relationship with Halliburton Co., the energy company he once led, Sen. Frank Lautenberg said Thursday.

The report says a public official's unexercised stock options and deferred salary fall within the definition of "retained ties" to his former company.

Cheney said Sunday on NBC that since becoming vice president, "I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had, now, for over three years."