Penryn detailed benchmark vs Core2Duo

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
most benches are 3-12% improvement

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The numbers make sense to me. (Actually they're in line with what I was expecting) DivX number might or might not be correct because we really don't have any other application that takes advantage of SSE4 yet. Considering that Core 2 is the first generation SSE4 chip, a huge improvement with Penryn, which would be 2nd gen, is certainly a possibility.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Huge HL2 performance boost. Penryn looks, on average, about 10% faster than Conroe... and runs much cooler to boot. I was expecting about 20%, but whatever, this should be okay. Sounds interesting... hopefully quad-core prices aren't too high.

On the flip side... with the lower-than-popularly-expected performance increases of Penryn, Barcelona might have a good chance.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
It's not 115%, that would mean penryn is more then twice as fast as c2d :p

Did you even click the link? That's exactly what it means, because that's what the SSE4 benchmark shows.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Significantly lower power draw and heat dissipation (~25%) are the the strong points. Current quads are too hot and voltage-hungry. You'd think that these will give better overclocks as well. We'll see.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
The only benchmark up by 115% was the h.264 encoding w/SSE4, so maybe we'll see significant boosts when apps support SSE4. The rest are up an average of 10%-15%, which is good. I'm really impressed with the power requirements and the heat output though, looks like it might be a great overclocker.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
wow, source engine likes something about penryn thats for sure. after episode 2 and the multi threaded enhancements, the source engine will really shine on yorkfield.

these chips have GREAT overclocking potential too. some of the early A4 stepping chips can run 2.33G to 3G with less than 1.2v, 3.33G with 1.2v, and up to 4G with 1.5v, with very acceptable temperatures. don't ask for sources on those numbers because i cannot give you :)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I read on anandtech that the first Penryn will be the EE processors and thus very expensive. At 2.33GHz, I don't see how this can be offered at an expensive price. Will desktop versions come out this year or will it be next year before we see cheap (~$200) Penyrn CPUs on the market?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Aflac
Huge HL2 performance boost. Penryn looks, on average, about 10% faster than Conroe... and runs much cooler to boot. I was expecting about 20%, but whatever, this should be okay. Sounds interesting... hopefully quad-core prices aren't too high.

On the flip side... with the lower-than-popularly-expected performance increases of Penryn, Barcelona might have a good chance.
I was hoping for up to 10%, so I'm happy to see this. Let's call this what it is: penryn has a lower-than-popularly-expected perf increase BECAUSE barcelona/phenom is looking to be in a very weak position right now. If barcelona comes out a little bit higher than expected then, magically, penryn will look better, too. Only if barcelona blows away expectations can we expect to see amd even come close to regaining the perf crown.

@OP, those are some very strong power and temp reductions. If those are accurate I could see a quadcore penryn running at/below temps of a similarly clocked c2d.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Staples
I read on anandtech that the first Penryn will be the EE processors and thus very expensive. At 2.33GHz, I don't see how this can be offered at an expensive price. Will desktop versions come out this year or will it be next year before we see cheap (~$200) Penyrn CPUs on the market?
q4 for QX6950, which will be the first penryn. It's going to be a quad core @10x333. I don't think that they're planning to release the cheaper quads or the dual cores until q1 08. damn you hector ruiz!!!
c'mon jag, tell us. We won't tell anyone else... :)

ahock

Nov 29, 2004
the power is pretty impressive. Do you know what is the power rating of 3.33GHz. I believe Penryn will be launched at this speed range

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
Don't be surprised if we see a Nehalem benchmark from HKEPC in Oct !

Intel to sample Nehalem CPUs in October

With its 45nm already in the spotlight it seems that Intel is moving fast towards the next next best thing since Conroe, the upcoming marchitecture codename Nehalem. Set to be introduced in the second half of 2008 and feature an integrated memory controller, the new Nehalem CPUs are said to be sampled and sent to motherboard manufacturers as soon as October.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Its really looking great for Harptown. 10% to 15% improvements over same clocked C2D.Couple that with DDR3 High freq. and low latency with the up and coming X38 chipset.
O/Cers should see anywere from 15% to 25% improvements over same clocked C2D's.

http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3053&p=8

In addition as more programmers add SSE4 optimizations to programs Its really looking good for Intel. DivX with SSE4 115% is mind boggling to say the least. Programms will surely target SSE4 as a means of selling programms optimized for SSE4 rather quikly.

Game developers will be among the first to target SSE4. Its really getting exciting in the gaming world. Can't wait to see how Intels Larabee projects turns out . First generation probably a little iffy but after that look out NV/ Dammit

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
So it seems like Penryn will be anywhere between 8-10% faster on average in most apps if to place a number on the conservative side. Games seem to love the extra L2 cache.

DirectX will be SSE4 optimized before long so it does very much seem AMD's Agena will be facing stiff competition without SSE4.

I can't see AMD's 512K L2 cache and 2MB L3 cache approach doing too well in comparison. It's L2 is too small for today's clock speeds and data sets. An Agena X4 will only have 4MB of cache Vs 12MB in a Penryn quad core, no matter how efficient your cache is, you can't make up for a lack of 8MB.

It seems the ball is very firmly in Intel's hands.

On Average 10% speed bump when Conroe is already 20% ahead of AMD's X2's giving 30% is nothing to sniff at. Agena must be 30% faster per clock to be 1:1 let alone faster. It's not easier to design a chip that's 40% faster and cost effective to make unless your previous design was lacking in various ways like Netburst was.

I can imagine Intel will be in most people's Xmas lists soon.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Game developers will be among the first to target SSE4. Its really getting exciting in the gaming world. Can't wait to see how Intels Larabee projects turns out . First generation probably a little iffy but after that look out NV/ Dammit
Looking at the SSE4 instructions, they don't really seem to be very useful for gaming so I don't think sse4 will have a big effect outside of codecs and select other applications.

refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Looking at the SSE4 instructions, they don't really seem to be very useful for gaming so I don't think sse4 will have a big effect outside of codecs and select other applications.

Here refer to this. As you don't seem to understand your own link.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8313

Here's a white paper . Intel says Gaming among other beneffits. Read SSE4 section.If you want more info just ask.

http://www.intel.com/technolog...m-core2_whitepaper.pdf

chiew

Jul 30, 2007
Borat: VERY NICE, I like! How much?!

Too bad all I play is counterstrike source and I already get 100 fps on a 7800GT.
I got a 60 fps boost using the same graphics card by going from 3GHz P4 single core to a 3.15GHz C2D (E4300), and at this point I doubt its my CPU bottlenecking anything, as I saw no change in fps by going from 2.7GHz to 3.15GHz on the E4300.

Maybe I should wait for Nehalem...

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: GFORCE100
So it seems like Penryn will be anywhere between 8-10% faster on average in most apps if to place a number on the conservative side. Games seem to love the extra L2 cache.

DirectX will be SSE4 optimized before long so it does very much seem AMD's Agena will be facing stiff competition without SSE4.

I can't see AMD's 512K L2 cache and 2MB L3 cache approach doing too well in comparison. It's L2 is too small for today's clock speeds and data sets. An Agena X4 will only have 4MB of cache Vs 12MB in a Penryn quad core, no matter how efficient your cache is, you can't make up for a lack of 8MB.

It seems the ball is very firmly in Intel's hands.

On Average 10% speed bump when Conroe is already 20% ahead of AMD's X2's giving 30% is nothing to sniff at. Agena must be 30% faster per clock to be 1:1 let alone faster. It's not easier to design a chip that's 40% faster and cost effective to make unless your previous design was lacking in various ways like Netburst was.

I can imagine Intel will be in most people's Xmas lists soon.

this is true, but I mean intel succeeded in making c2d jump from netburst. So such a big performance jump is possible. However, I do believe AMD is more evoutionary than revolutionary in their design approach, will probably not see so big a jump this time around.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
You know they just messed with their Dothan laptop core a little bit. It was always there, and was always better than the netburst.

Actually, the switch from Dothan to Yonah to Conroe brought smaller improvements than the move from K8 to Barcelona.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime

Here refer to this. As you don't seem to understand your own link.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8313

Here's a white paper . Intel says Gaming among other beneffits. Read SSE4 section.If you want more info just ask.

http://www.intel.com/technolog...m-core2_whitepaper.pdf
Having programmed programs that use SSE before, I stand by my comments.