Pelosi is running again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
At some point we really need to make a change to limit terms for Senators and Congresspeople. 3 terms as senator.. 8-10 as as Congress member. The original idea was that serving your country was not supposed to be a permanent job, but an honor to the public. Its turned into a mockery of its intent. Age limits would be beneficial as well..

Sadly will never happen as they vote their own raises, ther own health and their own grift mechanisms.

Our systems sucks but I suppose its better than many others.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She did a good job but I think she sees a possibility of Dems taking the House in 24 and might want to be Speaker again.

Time for new leadership. She will make a great consultant

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Doesn’t matter with gerrymandered districts. You really think there aren’t a ton of quality candidates in MTG’s district?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
She did a good job but I think she sees a possibility of Dems taking the House in 24 and might want to be Speaker again.

Time for new leadership. She will make a great consultant
She also has massive fund-raising ability. If she steps down, that falls off pretty quickly, IIRC. Wondering if she's getting some pressure on that. It's the same with Mitch.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Dec 10, 2005
Doesn’t matter with gerrymandered districts. You really think there aren’t a ton of quality candidates in MTG’s district?
Nothing will change for the better if you don't even bother trying. But yes, gerrymandering is also something that needs to be fixed.

Dec 10, 2005
Expanding the number of congresspeople mitigates that. Like packing the supreme court, increasing numbers dilute the influence of any one member.
Why not both? Expand the House and put laws in place that limit gerrymandering.

While we're at it, let's also reduce the number of elections and random elected officials to help make local and state governments more accountable.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
She also has massive fund-raising ability. If she steps down, that falls off pretty quickly, IIRC. Wondering if she's getting some pressure on that. It's the same with Mitch.

-Yeah but fund raising ability isn't a genetically coded trait. Some other shitbag can easily worm their way into that role and keep the gravy train flowing. Doesn't have to be Pelosi or Mitch.

Plenty of old farts with outsized influence in Congress.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Why not both? Expand the House and put laws in place that limit gerrymandering.

While we're at it, let's also reduce the number of elections and random elected officials to help make local and state governments more accountable.
Ban campaigning until 6 mo before the election.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I used to think term limits. But it's really age. After 65 get the fuck out. Mentor your successor and get your leadership shored up. Know on a calendar the last time you are walking out that door. Build your legacy and then hand over the keys.

I'm so fucking over dinosaurs still shuffling down the halls of Capitol Hill.
99% agree. 65 seems a *little* young. I guess I know a bunch of 65 year olds that still are congnizant and aware of their surroundings. 65 isn't *that* old nowadays. But if if they were to somehow magically decide on 65, I would NOT be against it by anymeans either.

bonus points if states start passing laws to require drivers tests after 65 years too :)

Reactions: hal2kilo

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
At some point we really need to make a change to limit terms for Senators and Congresspeople. 3 terms as senator.. 8-10 as as Congress member. The original idea was that serving your country was not supposed to be a permanent job, but an honor to the public. Its turned into a mockery of its intent. Age limits would be beneficial as well..

Sadly will never happen as they vote their own raises, ther own health and their own grift mechanisms.

Our systems sucks but I suppose its better than many others.
Disagree, our government is working exactly as designed and is probably the worst of so called rich nations.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
99% agree. 65 seems a *little* young. I guess I know a bunch of 65 year olds that still are congnizant and aware of their surroundings. 65 isn't *that* old nowadays. But if if they were to somehow magically decide on 65, I would NOT be against it by anymeans either.

bonus points if states start passing laws to require drivers tests after 65 years too :)
It's politics. 65 is a starting point to negotiate. I just want a definite end date.

Reactions: Homerboy and Ajay
Nov 17, 2019
"The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older from employment discrimination based on age.

Under the ADEA it is unlawful to discriminate against any individual age 40 or older because of their age with respect to any term, condition, or privilege of employment, including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, firing, promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training. The ADEA permits federal agencies to favor older workers based on age, even when doing so adversely affects a younger worker who is 40 years of age or older."

I'm sure there are exceptions not listed when it comes to Elected Critters since they always protect their goldmine of perpetuity.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Mandatory retirement for all elected officials tied to the age of full social security benefits + remaining years of term.
This would only hurt us common folk. They are already talking about raising the retirement age, something like this would turn it into reality instead of just talk.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I don't see a real issue with her running again. First, a house seat is not the same as a senate seat. Second, she's not in a leadership role any more. Third, she's obviously more "with it" than any of Feinstein/Mitch/Grassley.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't see a real issue with her running again. First, a house seat is not the same as a senate seat. Second, she's not in a leadership role any more. Third, she's obviously more "with it" than any of Feinstein/Mitch/Grassley.
I think her mind is completely intact. Ever notice her working to keep that none existent lozenge quiet in her mouth all the time. It's the damn physical stuff also. I fight it everyday.