Pelosi borrowing from Iran's photoshop play book

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
the left wing spin and delusion in this thread is strong.

If you cannot see anything wrong with what was done here, you are hopeless.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I think the bigger question is why does it matter whether this was photoshopped or not? Does adding four women to the picture change the meaning of it in any way, shape or form? Photoshopping Kerry and Fonda together when they didn't actually appear together is a political tool that makes people associate Kerry with the activism of Fonda. What does photoshop change here? Does it change the message of "hey, here are some female Democratic house members standing on some steps?" Were you fine with the picture but then found out that they associated with the four women in the back and it's completely changed your view of all of them? The meaning of the photo was not changed one iota through the use of photoshop, so the outrage over its use doesn't really make much sense.

Y'all must have a full on apoplexy when you're going through the supermarket checkout and you see the latest issues of Vogue, Cosmo, People and every other major magazine under the sun. Because, believe it or not, the women on those covers are *gasp* photoshopped.

are those pictures meant to serve as some sort of historical record?

Whats wrong with leaving the picture as taken adding a note that tells use who was missing?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Give Dave, err ... Doppel a break. One really has to dig deep to find such worthless stories. At least Incorruptible and Michal are standing with him, so he'll have someone to share his outrage with.

Lulz!
Oh, Bowfinger, it's rare such material is made available. Earlier in the thread you called me a hypocrite.

And I remembered this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2276748&highlight=paul+ryan+soup

And look what I found:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34100548&postcount=46

You call Ryan dishonest, which he was and yet despite an apparent problem with him staging a scene you have no issue with outright doctoring of a photograph, placing people within it who were never there.

The fact you say in your original post
Now, before the usual idiot sock puppets start yapping about my hypocrisy and "if the roles were reversed"
is too funny. It's like you were deliberately setting yourself up to own yourself in this thread that didn't yet exist. Well done, sir. :thumbsup:
Nice tie to Iran!
It was in reference to Iran's doctored missile shots, source of at least one other thread in the past.

Feb 6, 2007
You call Ryan dishonest, which he was and yet despite an apparent problem with him staging a scene you have no issue with outright doctoring of a photograph, placing people within it who were never there.
The difference is the message each photo is trying to make. The photo of Ryan in the soup kitchen is designed to make it appear as though he's helping out at a soup kitchen, which he did, in fact, not do. He arrived late, didn't help serve anyone and cleaned dishes which had already been cleaned. The message differs from reality. In the case of this photoshopped photo, the message is "here are female Democrat representatives on some stairs." The message doesn't change by photoshopping in people who were absent for the photo-op (and, in fact, still met with the group later in the day). They probably would have done better to just leave the women out and include a "not pictured" sidebar, but there's absolutely zero call for getting upset at this.

Apr 27, 2012
the left wing spin and delusion in this thread is strong.

If you cannot see anything wrong with what was done here, you are hopeless.

Agree. The sheer hypocrisy that comes from them is amazing, democrats do something bad and they will attack the source, republicans do it and they circle jerk with each other

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Agree. The sheer hypocrisy that comes from them is amazing, democrats do something bad and they will attack the source, republicans do it and they circle jerk with each other

Does the circle jerk look similar to the one you are having with michael?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
The difference is the message each photo is trying to make. The photo of Ryan in the soup kitchen is designed to make it appear as though he's helping out at a soup kitchen, which he did, in fact, not do. He arrived late, didn't help serve anyone and cleaned dishes which had already been cleaned. The message differs from reality. In the case of this photoshopped photo, the message is "here are female Democrat representatives on some stairs." The message doesn't change by photoshopping in people who were absent for the photo-op (and, in fact, still met with the group later in the day). They probably would have done better to just leave the women out and include a "not pictured" sidebar, but there's absolutely zero call for getting upset at this.
I agree motivations were not the same, but both were dishonest (a picture was used to represent something that never happened), and in both cases a scene was staged.

I liked your bolded and it is how these things are done and always have been. There are probably millions of pictures of groups of people together throughout history and those not included, but still an official part of the group, are noted below the picture.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It was in reference to Iran's doctored missile shots, source of at least one other thread in the past.
I see. Could we infer then that you might be attempting to suggest a moral equivalency between Rep. Pelosi and the Iranian government?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Oh, Bowfinger, it's rare such material is made available. Earlier in the thread you called me a hypocrite.

And I remembered this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2276748&highlight=paul+ryan+soup

And look what I found:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34100548&postcount=46

The fact you say in your original post is too funny. It's like you were deliberately setting yourself up to own yourself in this thread that didn't yet exist. Well done, sir. :thumbsup:
My apologies. I'd always had a vague impression you were reasonably intelligent, though your compulsive stalking of Dave was rather creepy. I've apparently overestimated you.

In the Ryan case (based on the information we had at that time), we had Ryan deliberately staging a phony event for his direct personal gain. His photo was used as campaign propaganda, to use deception to try to persuade voters to vote for him.

What does Pelosi gain? In this Pelosi group photo, explain how Pelosi is trying to benefit from this photo. She wanted to create a picture of all of the Democratic women of Congress. As so many others have pointed out, she wasn't trying to show "all of the women standing on these steps at this exact moment." Nobody cares about that. Pelosi was only trying to show all of the Democratic women in Congress today, that's all she ever claimed the photo showed, and that is exactly what the photo shows. It is completely different from Ryan staging a phony scene for personal gain.

By the way, if you crawled out of Mommy's basement you'd know this is a common practice, especially today with tools like Photoshop making it so easy. It is common to complete a group photo by adding missing members later, or sometimes combining elements of two or more photos to get the best bits of both. Yes, this is considered unethical for journalism, but for other, social purposes it's an accepted practice. It's often impractical to get everyone in the same room at the same time for corporate photos, class photos, those sorts of things. People increasingly do it for family photos, e.g., for a family Christmas card. I've even heard of wedding photographers using composites for group photos. In short, your vision of what photography entails is either uninformed or conveniently partisan.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I agree motivations were not the same, but both were dishonest (a picture was used to represent something that never happened) ...
No, this is exactly why you are wrong. Nobody but a few desperate partisans ever claimed the Pelosi photo represented an event. Pelosi, et al, only claimed the photo represents the Democratic women in Congress. That is exactly what it does show.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I see. Could we infer then that you might be attempting to suggest a moral equivalency between Rep. Pelosi and the Iranian government?
In retrospect I can certainly appreciate how it may have come off that way, and would have to those not immediately thinking of the iran missile launch thread.
My apologies. I'd always had a vague impression you were reasonably intelligent, though your compulsive stalking of Dave was rather creepy. I've apparently overestimated you.
Possibly you have, though also overestimated yourself, for if I'm as stupid as you seem to think you would know I'm not smart enough to read the rest of your post (too long--look, a squirrel!), which I assume was some rambling defense and backpedal. I think most people when they say they didn't read the post are just lying and want to pretend that, but it would hardly be honest of me to claim this in a thread calling out somebody's honesty, so for now at least trust in my consistency.

Protip, though: the time to insult somebody is not before a long response, but after. That way you ensure they read it. See how that works, buffoon? Yes, that feeling you have now is the one of being owned twice in the same thread. Slow learner, I guess.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
are those pictures meant to serve as some sort of historical record?

Whats wrong with leaving the picture as taken adding a note that tells use who was missing?

What's wrong with photoshopping those women in if it's already been acknowledge that they were photoshopped in? I still don't see what the big deal is. Like someone else said, it's not like they are using this photo as some sort of political smear campaign. Good lord, haha,

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Possibly you have, though also overestimated yourself, for if I'm as stupid as you seem to think you would know I'm not smart enough to read the rest of your post (too long--look, a squirrel!), ...
Ah, the secret of being a low information voter. Never read anything that doesn't fit on a bumper sticker. Perhaps if I put it on YouTube with a bitchin' sound track?

Protip, though: the time to insult somebody is not before a long response, but after. That way you ensure they read it. See how that works, buffoon?
Protip, I wasn't writing it for you It has become obvious you have no interest or ability in participating in reasoned discussion.

Yes, that feeling you have now is the one of being owned twice in the same thread. Slow learner, I guess.
Lulz. You're so cute when you declare victory. It must give you that same feeling you got every time Mommy told you how special you are. Here's your green ribbon, dear. Now go play. You seem to have wowed all the other "special" kids, so you should have fun together.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the right wing spin and delusion in this thread is strong.

If you see anything wrong with what was done here, you are hopeless.

see how I fixed that for you? Funny how I use your same depth of logical structure, change a few things, and it's no less valid of a statement! Amazing!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The only way you'll get my Photoshop is when you pry it out of my cold dead hands!

\it's a madhouse!
Pssst! Dude! Over here. I know a guy who can hook you up with some pre-ban Paint Shop Pro. Version 3, guaranteed no built-in tracking.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Iran released a faked photo attempting to deceive the world about their abilities.

Pelosi's office released a "high school yearbook class of '13" photo saying at the time that it was photoshopped.

Playbook not found.