Pedobear prank gets police involved

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
pizza.jpg

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Has the pedobear image ever been connected to any actual crime?

I recommend a new meme for the elevator doors
2011-02-27-21-36-441201326038.jpg

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
The real world protects speech, and expression, especially at a learning institution where it's encouraged...

Whoops, I forgot. That was when we lived by the Constitution. Now we suppress, and criminalize speech we don't like. You know, to protect the kids from the filthy terrorists, or something like that....

1) i already said the same thing
2) you're not arguing against me.

what i meant by that line in particular is that you can't just say a cartoon bear = a sign of wanton child rape. no, it's a cartoon bear.

a rebel flag, swastikaz, nooses, upside down crosses...your typical hated 'symbols'....all hold more real 'hate' (well, the last two are pretty stupid) than pedobear.

i would simply take them to court and ask them to present one case where a small cartoon bear was actually associated with child rape. then sue them, as stated (harassment, libel, and slander are all fair game at this point).

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
real world doesn't associate a cartoon bear with child rape.

I do not anything that refers to sexual assault of a child funny.

A local 17 year old received his second conviction for sexual assault. The first conviction was for sexual assault of a child. The second was for sexual assault of a disabled girl that was in highschool.

http://www.kfdm.com/articles/years-44631-sentenced-assaulting.html

But hey, he probably thought it was ok to sexually assault a 3 year old, after all, pedobear says its ok.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Speech doesn't have to be funny. The Constitution is in place SPECIFICALLY to protect unpopular speech. Why the fuck would you need protections for popular speech?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I liken this to parents in the 1970s freaking out about Alice Cooper and Judas Priest and claiming the lyrics would turn children into devil-worshipping drug addicts. Or in the 1990s when Doom was responsible for school shootings. There are always going to be people who misunderstand the culture of the youth that differs from how young people behaved in "their day," even though it really doesn't. Every generation experiences their own version of the witchhunt, and it is ALWAYS bullshit. Apparently internet memes are the latest fad to misunderstand, misrepresent and villify.

More ominously look at how many innocent people had their lives ruined by Satanic Ritual Abuse hysteria. Moral panics are usually just retarded, but in some cases they can become dangerous.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Haha, just recently a friend of mine moved into base housing and this douche that lived next to him told him he didn't want his friend around because he thought he looked like a pedofile (said friend doesn't even have a pedostasch or anything). He even called a friend of his in security forces to come and give a talking to him. In the end cooler heads prevailed and someone came down on the guy and made him appologize atleast.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
There's been all sorts of news "stories" depicting it as some secret code word for "pedofiles welcome" or "I'm looking for underage kids".

yup. one story gets it wrong but the reporters (who have jobs so don't troll /b/ all the time) pick it up as no one ever corrects it.

But hey, he probably thought it was ok to sexually assault a 3 year old, after all, pedobear says its ok.

i don't know how you can spend the time you do on ATOT and think that's what pedobear means.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

:confused:

What does a completely different person from the one in the OP committing an abhorrent crime have to do with pedobear?
Who says that "pedobear says its ok"?
Who is defending sexual assault of a child?

Feb 6, 2007
Yes, he only did it because a cartoon bear on the internet told him to. He would've been fine if not for those damn internet memes!

Some people are just fucking crazy. No amount of censorship is going to stop crazy people from doing something fucking crazy. The internet wasn't around in the 1960s, 70s or 80s, and that was pretty much the heyday for serial killers (Dahmer, Gacy, Bundy, Corll, the Green River Killer, Son of Sam, the Zodiac Killer...). Crazy people are hard to predict. Only a complete idiot would suggest that stopping publication of a cartoon bear is going to stop someone from raping children. Anyone who would be swayed by a cartoon bear to rape children to begin with is fucking crazy.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
i mean....it's a weird thing.

go try and explain pedobear to someone...go ahead, i'll wait.

I'll give it a go:

Cartoon bear that mocks the current popular obsession with pedophilia.

Like this:

A local 17 year old received his second conviction for sexual assault. The first conviction was for sexual assault of a child. The second was for sexual assault of a disabled girl that was in highschool.

http://www.kfdm.com/articles/years-44631-sentenced-assaulting.html

But hey, sexual assault of a 3 year old has nothing to do with pedophilia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Wow. This is what the world is coming to. Bunch of pussifying pussies trying to pussify America

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
That football sign should have just stuck with "u mad?". I guess "bro" is now officially a derogatory term for brown people.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
i don't know how you can spend the time you do on ATOT and think that's what pedobear means.

Pedobear is supposed to be a joke, but harming a child is nothing to joke about.

Do we see memes of jews or blacks used like what pedobear is to children? Would making fun of blacks being kept as slaves be ok? Of course it would not be ok.

People might say stuff like "its only a joke". To me, harming a child is nothing to joke about.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
Pedobear is supposed to be a joke, but harming a child is nothing to joke about.

Do we see memes of jews or blacks used like what pedobear is to children? Would making fun of blacks being kept as slaves be ok? Of course it would not be ok.

People might say stuff like "its only a joke". To me, harming a child is nothing to joke about.

allow me to list off things that actually exist in the world-

morons
idiots
retards
ignoramuses
jackasses

i could probably go for a while.

but don't use the term jackass in jest because PLEASE DEAR GOD WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE DONKEYS?!?!?