Pearl Harbor Day Lunch Menu

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'm sure some have already seen this story but for those who haven't.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rbor-day-menu/2011/12/06/gIQAAJ0IaO_blog.html

Glad that no one caught this before the media got a hold of it. Either people are incredibly stupid or this is totally deliberate. I'm leaning towards the latter. No one can defend this as an "honest" mistake. Do I think that Obama had anything to do with this, of course not, but it looks very, very bad nonetheless.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That link did not work for me. I found it on the site by doing a search for sidwell friends. Here is the link I was taken to (not sure if it is the same as yours)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rbor-day-menu/2011/12/06/gIQAAJ0IaO_blog.html

A lunch that will live in infamy? That’s what at least one parent at elite Sidwell Friends (yes, Sasha and Malia’s school!) wondered upon seeing what the school cafeteria listed as its “Pearl Harbor Day” menu Wednesday: A heavily Japanese-inspired lineup, including teriyaki chicken and edamame (as well as more generically Asian delicacies like tofu, fried rice, fortune cookies and “oriental noodle salad”). A school rep told us this was just a fluke — not a meal intended to commemorate the 1941 Japanese attack on U.S. forces: The contractor that prepares school lunches randomly assigned an Asian menu to Dec. 7, and the subcontractor that prints the calendars automatically marked Wednesday at Pearl Harbor Day. “It was completely coincidental,” said Ellis Turner, associate head of the school.

Sure...the perfect storm...no one noticed...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Found at a heavily Republican leaning site-
WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- What are President Obama's kids eating at school on Pearl Harbor day? Japanese fare, of course!

Sidwell Friends School's website shows the menu for Wednesday December 7th, 2011, the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day, as an Asian food day.

Pearl Harbor Day is usually a time of remembrance for Americans. On December 7th, 1941, thousands of Americans died in a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor Navy base in Hawaii. An attack that thrust the U.S. into World War II.

That was the bloodiest day on U.S. soil until the 2001 September 11th attacks on Washington, New York and Pennsylvania.

Here are the options for Malia Obama and her sister, Sasha on the "Day that will live in Infamy:"

December 7, 2011

Asian Mushroom Soup
Oriental Noodle Salad
Classic Spinach Salad
Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Strips
Szechuan Tofu & Veggies
Garlic Roasted Edamame
Vegetable Fried Rice
Fortune Cookies
The evil Japanese province of Szechuan strikes again!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
That link did not work for me. I found it on the site by doing a search for sidwell friends. Here is the link I was taken to (not sure if it is the same as yours)

Sure...the perfect storm...no one noticed...

What a way to run a school: The left hand (one contractor), the right hand (another contractor) and the body (the school) are disconnected from one another, and so no one is responsible. Might this be a revelation about how the elites run the country (the 99%) into the ground.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
No pearl harbor day menu is complete without fukushima rice.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Do I think that Obama had anything to do with this, of course not, but it looks very, very bad nonetheless.

It's no secret that I'm distinctly unimpressed by Obama however I'm less impressed with whoever dug up this story. It's completely irrelevant to anything whatsoever. Heaven forbid any politician order Chinese takeout on that day. There might be something Japanese on the menu.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No pearl harbor day menu is complete without fukushima rice.

Ha ha, nuclear disaster killing the heroes who try to put out the reactors.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa.

It's just hilarious.

What kind of person are you? That's rhetorical.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
It's no secret that I'm distinctly unimpressed by Obama however I'm less impressed with whoever dug up this story. It's completely irrelevant to anything whatsoever. Heaven forbid any politician order Chinese takeout on that day. There might be something Japanese on the menu.

I'm not sure how this is "dug" up as some reporters follow around the Obama's each and everyday since that is their assignment. It's not hard to find a public menu for the school today.

Also, I agree, ordering Japanese food today (sushi does sound good right about now) doesn't automatically mean you did wrong but releasing a menu with Pearl Harbor Day at the top and EVERYTHING on the menu is Japanese/Asian is another matter. Again, either the person in charge is a complete fucking idiot or this was intentional.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Ha ha, nuclear disaster killing the heroes who try to put out the reactors.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa.

It's just hilarious.

What kind of person are you? That's rhetorical.

Since when does anyone care about the radiation disaster in Japan. No one cares that there are countless examples of radiation spreading to the US. People are wiping the rainwater off their windshield and then running a geiger counter over the rag and watching the thing go ape. No one cares about any of that. So what kind of person are you? I wasnt the one going "ha ha ha". You were.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Non-issue. For example, some of the food is Chines - who was our ally and Japan's enemy in the war. Some of the food has nothing to do with Japan.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Since it happened.

You're the one who made a 'joke' about the disaster.

No you inferred a joke when in fact it was not. There was no lol, no emote, no hahaha, no nothing. It was just there for you to infer. You make the same mistake your economist hero krugman makes.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Non-issue. For example, some of the food is Chines - who was our ally and Japan's enemy in the war. Some of the food has nothing to do with Japan.

Yeah, I had to laugh at Szechuan Tofu & Veggies and Garlic Roasted Edamame. Everyone knows how much the Chinese and Koreans loooove the Japanese.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
P&N joke thread about over reacting is an over reacting joke thread.

2 of the 8 items are Japanese. This doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Oh, sorry, I almost forgot,... this is racist.

//bow

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No you inferred a joke when in fact it was not. There was no lol, no emote, no hahaha, no nothing. It was just there for you to infer. You make the same mistake your economist hero krugman makes.

A 'joke' was the only reason to say it. It has no other purpose.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm more interested in what the heck kind of school serves edamame as part of lunch. Must be those damn 1%ers. :p

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
half-life-obama.jpg