PCSX2 so well optimized that AMD CPU's are now viable...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
3rd world problems or AMD problems. We have known single threaded was a problem on amd for a while.

My kids are playing pcsx2 on my handme down 920 right now.

I was wondering the same thing at first, then realized it was about AMD.

I've been a fan and using PCSX2 for years w/o issue.

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
If this against the rules I'm sorry. But, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole emulation thing. I'm not even going to pretend that I still have these disks around, but if it won't get anyone in trouble I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of a nonmalware site to get that program and the roms for it. I made another post but darned if I can find where I put it now (it wasn't a new post buried in another topic). I just want to play SOTN and every rom I download flags as malware. Worst comes though I can just pay the extortion and buy the game itself as I still have a ps2.

Last edited:

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
If this against the rules I'm sorry. But, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole emulation thing. I'm not even going to pretend that I still have these disks around, but if it won't get anyone in trouble I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of a nonmalware site to get that program and the roms for it. I made another post but darned if I can find where I put it now (it wasn't a new post buried in another topic). I just want to play SOTN and every rom I download flags as malware. Worst comes though I can just pay the extortion and buy the game itself as I still have a ps2.

You can get an emulator at emuparadise.

It has a bunch of other information there as well.

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
Thank you, I just wasn't 100% sure if it was even legal to give out the info. I'm no techie by any means. You don't have to be to assemble a pc:)

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
That is the exact one that is popping up as malware, so you think its ok? I got it off their link. Perhaps malware bytes is just being picky.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Things you never have to worry about when you have Haswell.

not just haswell...even sandybridge never hiccups :)

That said great news its still being supported, and great job that the devs spent so much time getting this to work well. Must have been an amazing learning experience.

UglyDuckling

May 6, 2015

http://pcsx2.net/download/releases/windows/viewcategory/6-windows.html

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got lucky one day. Ebay and most venues were asking 70 bucks for Symphony of the Night.
Managed to pick it up from Amazon at 17. Was so happy. The next one for sale was 65 or so.

Chaotic0ne

Jul 12, 2015
I'm still getting FPS dips into the 45s or lower on some games like Xenosaga III, and Valkyrie profile 2. I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz.

Neither the EE or GS % are maxed out, and neither is the CPU usage on any of my cores when this happens. Particularly the menus in Xenosaga III drop in the 45 ranges, and random dips in mech battles have gone to as low as 30fps range. Some battles in VP2 stay pegged at 40-45fps. Increasing speed hacks improves the top end of the FPS, but does nothing to lessen the dips.

In fact I can't tell any difference in performance increase from 1.0 - 1.21 with my PC on those 2 games.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Does this emulator let you play your PS2 games in 1080p?

Its funny I remember how amazing PlayStation 2 games looked when it first came out.

PS2 games looked like shit when it first came out. The older Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast basically blew everything Sony launched with out of the water a full year later.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Does this emulator let you play your PS2 games in 1080p?

PS2 games looked like shit when it first came out. The older Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast basically blew everything Sony launched with out of the water a full year later.

Then Zone of the Enders came out with a demo for Metal Gear Solid 2 and showed what could be done on the PS2.

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
Oh, I knew there had to be some shadiness to this whole thing. I have plug in PS2 and get the bios off of it to even use the emulator. I'm sure it's not hard, but crap I'll just play the online version before go through all that nonsense. I guess it comes down to how much you want to play these old games. I was only wanting one and I can just play on their site.