Question PCPower&Cooling Silencer 750w

Uberwolf

Feb 9, 2010
My system is well overdue an upgrade, long story. Anyway I am buliding an, evga z390 ftw, with an i9 8700k and a GTX 1080. I have a PCPower&Cooling Silencer 750w PSU, it is not modular and only has one 8 pin connecter and that is for the processor. I know there are adapters to make an 8 pin connecter from 1 or 2 6 pin connectors of which there are many on the PSU. I will do some overclocking but not a lot, same with gaming, prob not a lot if any on the PC. I will deffo install only 1 GTX card, no SLI. My question is will my PSU suffice for this build or do I need to upgrade.

Reactions: sauria

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That's a pretty old PSU that's served its purpose. It came with a 5 year warranty, so you should have gotten your money's worth out of it.

Why not buy a quality 650w gold unit for $60 - $80, and call it a day since you are upgrading your components?

But according to the specs at Newegg, that PSU has an 8-pin CPU cable and two PCIe cables, so it should technically work as long as it is in good shape.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703006

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
holy -profanity removed-, that's an old one! i tortured mine to death, it seems, a few years ago mining bitcoin (and gaming while doing so), too

it should swing it, but newer power supplies have more protections for overcurrent and surges, and most important to me, a lot quieter/nicer of a noise profile with 120mm or larger fans. i was rather shocked pulling the Silencer 750 Mk III out of my daily driver and replacing it with even a low end Seasonic.

fwiw, i have an old Silencer 370 running on a Ryzen 1700X (8c16t) chugging away at distributed computing in the basement as we speak. and on a 4pin CPU connection, too. 8 pins should be fine up to ~400 watts per Buildzoid, so should be fine for most sane OCing, at least.

Profanity is not allowed in the Tech forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
it should swing it, but newer power supplies have more protections for overcurrent and surges, and most important to me, a lot quieter/nicer of a noise profile with 120mm or larger fans.
I would have to say that's probably not true. Other than perhaps better build quality due better components. Newer components don`t necessarily equate to more protections for over current and surges.....

But yeah I would get a new PSU, even though my PC Power and Cooling 500 watt has not lost a step and keeps right on ticking going on over 10 years!!

Uberwolf

Feb 9, 2010
I would have to say that's probably not true. Other than perhaps better build quality due better components. Newer components don`t necessarily equate to more protections for over current and surges.....

But yeah I would get a new PSU, even though my PC Power and Cooling 500 watt has not lost a step and keeps right on ticking going on over 10 years!!

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004

newer ones in the same or similar price bracket from reputable manufacturers, such as the OEM for the Silencer, Seasonic

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I ran the same psu for 12 years and recently updated to a corsair 750w because it matched my new case. The old seasonic still running in second pc. It's a great psu.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I just wouldn't do that with a new i9 system and a weathered PSU.

Buy a new one. With those parts you're ordering, it doesn't look like you're pinching pennies. Personally, I'd be willing myself to buy a Seasonic Titanium PRIME or Ultra. You may pay double the price of a decent Bronze or Gold rated PSU, but it's still chump-change compared to your existing choice of parts.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
So . . . DaveyBrat. . . . . . Are we adhering to a higher standard of language and usage, even if Plonk420's choice of words can be considered "presidential"? Just kidding . . . .

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
maybe it's the new owners. i'm just used to the wilder west of IRC and reddit

I just wouldn't do that with a new i9 system and a weathered PSU.

Buy a new one. With those parts you're ordering, it doesn't look like you're pinching pennies. Personally, I'd be willing myself to buy a Seasonic Titanium PRIME or Ultra. You may pay double the price of a decent Bronze or Gold rated PSU, but it's still chump-change compared to your existing choice of parts.

yeah, while i no longer spend "as little as possible" on PSUs as i did in my youth, i still try to be somewhat thrifty on parts, and USUALLY a cheap Seasonic works for me. however, i AM eyeing a Seasonic Gold PRIME or Focus+ for my $450 Threadripper 1950X. the thought of losing a $450/999MSRP chip and $400MSRP board to cheap(er) PSU components/protections is a bit of a scary thought. but there's always so many more computer parts i want than money i have :/

Last edited: