PCI video card recommendation

alizee

Aug 11, 2005
I need a PCI (or maybe PCIe x1, but they are more expensive) video card for my server. Storage controllers ate away all of my PCIe x16 slots. I'm currently running WHS2011, so I need something compatible with it. I may migrate to a different OS in the future, something like Linux/Solaris/FreeBSD, so I would want some compatibility there, as well.

Looking at NewEgg and Microcenter, there are plenty of older cards that may work just fine (Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000, Geforce 4MX), and are also in my budget range (~$35). The catch is, they don't have drivers for anything beyond Windows XP. Would they work in my current setup?

I VNC into the server, and I don't need a really high resolution, 1024x768 is usable, though right now with my Radeon 3450 I've been using 1440x900. The 16x10 ration matches up with my 1680x1050 displays on my MacBook Pro and my gaming system, and it makes the server easier to use.

<off topic>
I really love how more and more motherboards and CPUs are coming with integrated video, it makes it so much easier to repurpose machines down the road. I kind of wish in 2008 I had gotten a G45 motherboard instead of the P45 motherboard I have now.
<end off topic>

Thanks for your help!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
It sounds like you might be stuck with the generic video driver if you use those cards...which in windows 7 I think will get you 1024x768 anyway. If this is just a headless server I'm not sure I'd be to concerned about the lack of driver. No fancy stuff of course.

From a quick google it sounds like windows 7 requires dx9 cards so the nvidia FX series and I think radeon 9000 series were the oldest of those?

If I were you I'd look for a used fx5200 PCI. They were crap when they came out and are total crap now, but they made tons of them and should get the job done for server. I wouldn't waste $40 on one of those 6200 PCI cards.

Edit: I guess nvidia only has vista drivers for the FX series, which seem to work in 7 for some people.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well it will have to be a nvidia card as ATI does not support Solaris/BSD and offers no drivers for those OS's.

The above mentioned fx5200 is probably a good option.

Suhidu

Nov 20, 2011
Looking at NewEgg and Microcenter, there are plenty of older cards that may work just fine (Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000, Geforce 4MX), and are also in my budget range (~$35). The catch is, they don't have drivers for anything beyond Windows XP. Would they work in my current setup?
Did you try using the website-provided tools to narrow your search results? Right now on Newegg alone I'm seeing Radeon HD 3000, 4000, and 5000 series PCI Cards, along with a Geforce GT 430, Geforce 9500 GT, and a well-reviewed, $50 Geforce 8400 GS; all PCI. Granted, that won't help if you won't budge from $35. You could probably find some cheap, decent cards used (on Ebay or retail online/location).

How do you know what x16 cards can be converted to 1x?
Any can be. The extra lanes past X1 are only for increasing data bandwidth.
  • Relevant Article that shows the performance differences of different amounts of PCIe lanes when running a Radeon HD 5870.

I wouldn't trust myself with a dremel, but how would one fit this in their case? I might be able to put the card in upside down, or something.
You'd plug the card into the X16 end of the cable, plug the X1 end into the motherboard, and screw the card into the case using the graphics card's low-profile* bracket, folding the extra ribbon-cable away somewhere.
  • "Low-Profile" cards are commonly needed to upgrade "Slim" and "Desktop" form factor PCs that are too slim to fit a full-height PCI(e) Card. Low-Profile cards should come with a Low-Profile bracket, which is essential for installation in a low-profile environment. The bracket is the piece that actually screws into the PC chassis. If the product specifications/details don't mention it, sites like Newegg usually have pictures of all included accessories. That's often accurate enough ...often.

However, something like this may provide you a more secure fit (though it's significantly more expensive). To use this, you'd first apply the low-profile bracket to the low-profile X16 card you've bought, then you would plug it into the X16 side of this adapter. Next, plug the X1 side into the motherboard, and last, screw it down tight.
Store links:
  • Buy.com
  • Amazon (Amazon shows photos of this with a molex power adapter. However, the picture appears to be for the wrong product! Their picture is a picture of a PCIe X1 to PCI adapter. The customer photos are the correct ones here.)
  • Newegg (Several dollars more expensive.)

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
How do you know what x16 cards can be converted to 1x?

It seems to be all of them. There's isn't much info out there though. As Suhidu pointed out the cards will run fine when set to 1x, but all of those pci-e scaling articles I read simply put tape over the extra lanes and plugged it into a full blown 16x slot. There are concerns that perhaps true 1x slots do not provide enough power. Of course larger cards require their own power connector which perhaps alleviates it.

I have personally tested this though and am pretty confident that all of them will most likely work. I own a similar adapter to the one that was linked. I've run an 8800gt, an x1800xt, x1900xt, x1300 and maybe (I cannot remember) a hd4850 using the adapter through a true PCI 1x port on an asrock 939dual-sata2 and an abit ip35 pro. I ran 3dmark with them and didn't see any problems besides reduced performance. It seems 1x ports provide the same power as 16x.

It is way more cost effective to use the adapter than it is to buy a true 1x card now. The 1x cards are all totally gutless, usually they are cut down even worse than a true 6200 or whatever would be and use shittier ram while costing 3 times as much. And for no reason mind you...there doesn't appear to be any difference other than the use of worse components and the end of the pci-e slot being chopped off. Indeed, when I first looked into this I read a few posts from people that had in fact used a dremel to chop off part of a card to get it to fit. Others had cut the back out of a 1x slot on a motherboard to allow the card to install. When I bought the adapter it cost me $40 shipped and I had to email some folks at a company that mostly seemed to sell motherboard testing equipment to OEMs! That startec one has been out for awhile but the one I linked is the cheapest I've seen yet.

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I wouldn't trust myself with a dremel, but how would one fit this in their case? I might be able to put the card in upside down, or something.

Suhidu went over it pretty well. If you buy the startec one you should be able to just install the low profile bracket and it'll fit reasonably well into the slot. With the cheaper one I linked you'll probably have to get creative. You could simply install it hanging using the low profile bracket but I'd imagine it would be pretty loose with no direct card to motherboard connection and the bottom of the panel wouldn't connect.

You could take a blank expansion slot panel/cover and carefully dremel out a hole for the DVI port, assuring its high up enough that it clears the motherboard. I did this and its a pain in the ass but you wouldn't have to get the measurements exact.

However, if you have a matx motherboard installed in a full atx case you might have a no effort solution available. Simply install the card in one of the lower slots where the motherboard doesn't reach and rely on the cable included in the adapter to reach the pci-e slot.

Installing it upside down (removing the panel and flipping it so the teeth of the card stick up) might actually work but I think you'd have to dremel the dvi opening on the panel to get it to fit.

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Well Linux support, strong support for it at that was the 7800 and legendary 8800 GT and 9800 GT. You need a 9600 GT or 8600 GT , easy you can find on ebay for 30 bucks. You need solid video card and driver support is crucial in your case.

Anything older you buy, I warn you now, might not be able to get it to work with your Server and what not. gl

As long as its PCIe slot , doesnt matter let it work @ 1x .. gl